Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sharpen my turning tools with what?

Duane,

The video from Oneway would give you some good information on how to use the system:
    Wolverine video
    Pay attention to the shape of the tool, know when and where to stop. The jig only gives you the repeatability of grinding.
    Sharpening.pdf (application/pdf Object)
    Our Club had Bill Grumbine for demo last weekend. We had a bowl gouge clinic. Members brought in their problem gouges for him to tweak. He hardly changed any angle; most of them he just fixed the bumps and dips on the side grind. Afterwards he let members to try their newly fixed gouges on a big bowl blank he set up. It was very informative to learn how a gouge shape should be.
    BTW, he has a diamond wheel dressing jig that is much easier to use than the one sold by Oneway. Get the Wolverine system with Varigrind from Oneway, if you don't want to make your own DIY version.
    Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Poor View Post
    The gray wheels are great for lawnmower blades, but guess that's where it stops.
    If you can get a 6 or 8 inch slow speed grinder with white or pink wheels at 80 and 120 grit, you should be set for quite a while.
    And a dressing stick to keep your wheel surfaces flat and true.

A grinding jig will almost eliminate the learning curve to getting consistent bevels and will therefor save you a tremendous amount of time and costly steel in the process.

You can buy a jig ready made for gouges or make your own if you are so inclined.

I am partial to an Irish grind (swept all the way around).
    Here is a link to David Ellsworth's pages:

http://www.ellsworthstudios.com/david/jigs.html
    Brian, is that jig for only one size gouge or does it accept different size?

You know, to be honest, I don't really know.
    I would assume that those types of jigs will take various size irons - since not all gouges are created equal.

As an aside, this sort of jig would be pretty easy to cobble together with a simple rod or dowel and a block of wood set at the appropriate angle with a thumbscrew to hold the gouge in place..
    I'm not trying to cut back on anyone's sales, it's just a thought..
    Brian
    making perfectly good trees smaller, one at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Douglass View Post
    The jig from David is specifically for a 5/8" (1/2" in some brands) gouge. It will not work well for anything smaller. The Wolverine Vari-Grind takes that task on nicely.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I am just getting into some turning but I will most likely use a 2" belt grinder with any number of grit belts for sharpening.

It is sold through Grizzly as a knife grinder and I have made several knives from stock removal with it. Down to micron level belts you can mirror polish tool steel.

My learning curve is already paid for on that machine. I have access to a big slow wet grinder also that I may try.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Douglass View Post
    The DE jig has a fixed leg. It also requires certain height for the pocket to give clearance for the jig.
    The leg on the Varigrind is adjustable for various angles. It is more versatile for different gouges and grinds.
    Gordon

I use my 4 x 36 belt sander with a 220 belt. It takes some time to get it set up at first. i have a (jig) board with angles on it that i line up, and move the belt angle to fit the tool . Its fast and easy now, I didnt have the money at the time for a grinder and stones ,or a tool to keep the stone square.. It works so well for me now, Im going to stay with it. Keith

Does anyone have any input on the Work Sharp 3000?
    http://woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=20310

Would that be a good buy if I wanted to sharpen both turning tools and other woodworking tools?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Pauba View Post
    Does anyone have any input on the Work Sharp 3000?
    http://woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=20310

Would that be a good buy if I wanted to sharpen both turning tools and other woodworking tools?
    I don't know if you will be able to find jigs to sharpen certain tools like an Elsworth grind. There's a book called the Woodturners FAQ book. In there they say that with a wet sharpener you can go much longer between sharpenings, up 10 times longer. IMHO you can get your tools much sharper using this method. This is why you can go longer between sharpenings. There will be those that will disagree with me but this it the method I use and it is also what this book says. (Just bought the book yesterday) I've had a Jet wet for about a year and it works great for me.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

10. Homemade sharpening Jig

Here is an excellent link on how to sharpen turning tools. He details how to make a sharpening Jig. The concepts of his jig are the same as the Wolverine grinding jig system and the Ellsworth sharpening jig referenced above.

http://aroundthewoods.com/sharpening01.html

Nobody is mentioning the wet sharpeners. I bought the Jet wet sharpener with a few of the tormeck jigs. I also have a 6 inch grinder.. Never got them as sharp as I thought I could.. Untill I bought the jet. My wife loves it because I can sharpen all her kitchen knifes .. I think that that is about the second best investment in my shop.. The first being my lathes.. LOL

The wolverine jig does not fit under the Jet wet grinder? Do the Jigs made to work with it cost more than the wolverine? Sharper tools are always better.

There is no question that the wet sharpeners can put a very nice edge on the tools. My issue, an likely the same issue that many turners will have, is the fact that we sharpen every few minutes in many cases. A dry grinder with the Wolverine system is much faster. When doing finishing cuts on something spalted, for example, it may be necessary to resharpen after less than a minute of actual turning...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by john l graham View Post
    The wolverine jig does not fit under the Jet wet grinder? Do the Jigs made to work with it cost more than the wolverine? Sharper tools are always better.
    No it is a totally diffrent system.. But the Jet and tormeck jigs work on each other. The jet system is a little better then the tormeck.. But the tormeck jigs are better then the Jet jigs. I understand the speed issue.. But after a few times of doing this. I have gotten pretty fast at it. The only issue I have is no water in my shop.. So I have to bring it in from the house..

Can anyone tell me the disadvantages of using a belt sander vs. a grinding wheel?