Thread: How did you folks move saw onto mobile base?

How did you folks move saw onto mobile base?

I gotta move my SawStop(see below) onto the new mobile base(on it's way).
    Might have to do it by myself or will have 1 buddy.
    And NO scratching of paint either!
    My last saw I pushed down on the extension table end, wedged the mobile base under the raised opposite end, and then "walked" the saw across the mobile base into place. Kind of scratched the top of the mobile base and I presume the bottom of the saw base. Also with the weight of the SS I'm concerned about potential damage to the mobile base.
    Ideas and/or suggestions? Need to find more friends?
    Note: Windows of shop are whited out from all the **** snow!

Last edited by Brian Penning; 03-08-2008 at 4:58 AM.

i went to hf and bought a 2000 lb rated come along, hooked it over a joist in my garage, attached it to 2 corners on my saw with bolts and washers, and lifted it right up. done in 5 minutes.

rb

I did my Unisaw all by myself. Saw was on a pallet, I slid mobile base next to pallet then slid table saw down to it. The pallet was a tad higher so it was easy. Now, getting my 8" jointer onto the jointer stand was another story!

No have accessible joist.
    Saw ain't on a pallet.

When I had to lift my Grizzly saw by myself and not having an engine lift, I placed two 2x4's on edge under the table but tight to the cabinet. I put some pipe clamps across these 2x4's so they wouldn't twist out from under the saw.
    Then I built sort of a 'cribbing' with a pair of sawhorses under the ends of the 2x4's and used two floor jacks to pick the whole thing up. It would be nice to have someone extra there to help balance the whole thing while you slipped the base under it.
    Now you will have to build some extensions or put wheels under that nice outfeed table!
    It's a biiiig mistake to allow any mechanical object to realize that you are in a hurry.

I tilted my 22124 and put blocks under one side, put the base next to the saw, tilted the saw again and slid the base under it. Best to do it before the wings and fence go on.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Blog Entries
    A local rent-it center might have an engine hoist that will do it. A friend of mine had one that we assembled in the room and lifted my PM66.
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

Tilting as mentioned by Scott is one way without any lifts. Tilt the saw and slide two long 2X4's under the saw. Tilt again and add blocks at each end of the 2X4's raising the saw so the bottom of the wood is slightly above the top of the mobile base. Slide the base under the saw. Tilt and remove the blocks lowering the saw onto the mobile base frame. Now the saw is sitting on the base with the 2X4's in the way. Tilt and remove the 2X4's one at a time, lowering the saw into the base.

ps - I have a Jet cabinet saw with a 52" fence, and I used the tilt method described above to place it on a mobile base by HTC years after the saw was fully assembled.
    Last edited by Dave Falkenstein; 03-08-2008 at 3:56 PM.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

I put my PM66 on its mobile base the same way Scott did. Pretty sure I have a few small scratches on the mobile base. Pretty sure I couldn't care less. I'd be concerned about any scheme that involves dead lifting the weight of the machine using the table as I wouldnt want the weight of the cabinet pulling down on that beautiful piece of flat iron. Unfortunately it is highly advisable to remove the outboard table, rails and extension wings to reduce weight and improve balance in any event.

Don't be tempted to use your precision made rails as wheel barrel handles! Amazon sent my mobile base 3 weeks after the saw arrived...I sat there looking at that saw for three LONG weeks as it was recommended I not proceed with assembly until the cabinet sat on the mobile base. I sent them nasty emails daily after the first week, to the effect of "I have a giant yellow boat anchor sitting in the middle of my shop, please send me my mobile base so I can turn it into a saw!"

Raising big iron

I don't have any experience with the Saw Stop, but I raised my old, and rebuilt, unisaw using 4 hydraulic jacks with welded "L" shaped pieces that slipped under the cabinet and clamped to the jacks. Had a jack at each corner, raised the saw about 5 to 6 inches, a bit on each corner at a time. I was able to tell that I should stop raising a particular corner when the jack started to tip. The welded pieces were such that they allowed the jacks to be offset enough that the mobile base could wheel in from the side. My helper, my wife, watched to make usre the saw landed at the correct place on the base. It wasn't fast, but it was safe for the saw and didn't require any help beyond my getting the necessary "L" shaped pieces welded up. Those same piece were used to put the rebuilt J20 on its base.

Engine lift/floor crane

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Falkenstein View Post
    Tilting as mentioned by Scott is one way without any lifts. Tilt the saw and slide two long 2X4's under the saw. Tilt again and add blocks at each end of the 2X4's raising the saw so the bottom of the wood is slightly above the top of the mobile base. Slide the base under the saw. Tilt and remove the blocks lowering the saw onto the mobile base frame. Now the saw is sitting on the base with the 2X4's in the way. Tilt and remove the 2X4's one at a time, lowering the saw into the base.

ps - I have a Jet cabinet saw with a 52" fence, and I used the tilt method described above to place it on a mobile base by HTC years after the saw was fully assembled.
    I'm missing something. You have to be blocking under the saw table's TOP, right?
    If you're blocking under the saw's base there's no room to slide the base underneath.

Mobile Base

Brian,
    If you rest one end of the saw on a pair of sawhorses, it should only take two to lift the other end (with maybe the wife to slide the base under the saw). A 500 pound saw resting on something solid on one end would only feel like 250 -275 to lift. If you get it just the right height, everything should go pretty smoothly. My PM66 has front and rear rails, and they made it easy. Hope your saw does too!
    Kurt
    Last edited by Kurt Bird; 03-08-2008 at 6:00 PM. Reason: Added a thought

Two a frame ladders, one long 2 by 12 and a couple of 1000 pound tie downs. I did that for my 8" jointer and it worked fairly well.

Shop crane (engine hoist), sold for $99 at harbor freight. Click the link in my signature on how to move a saw.

I picked myPM66 up 2 weeks ago and slid a new mobile base under it. I use a rope or chain, wrap it under the extensions up against the cabinet. My saw is dead on, and I've done this many times. Take a look at the table top and the bolts holding it all together... the static weight of the saw is not going to damage anything IMO, and my experience doing this and re-measuring my saw afterwards confirms it.
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028