Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Im mad... really mad, any input?

I saw them demonstrate the hotdog trick on the new SS contractor's model at the Houston woodworking show. After looking at the hotdog I'm sure that if it was my finger I could stop the bleeding with a styptic pencil. The only thing I would need a bandaid for is to keep dirt out of the nick. When that blade hit the hotdog you couldn't even see it disappear. I was concentrating on the point of contact and it was like the blade was there one second and gone the next. Very impressive.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Vaughn View Post
    I was concentrating on the point of contact and it was like the blade was there one second and gone the next.
    Yeah, it's kinda spooky!!
    --Steve--
    Support The Creek - click here

Great Thread! It reminds all of us how much competition is out there for us to choose from.

When I bought my X5 Unisaw a few years back, I did an exhausting search that included a lot of driving around (back when gas was ONLY $1.75) to do hands-on touchy-feely with the equipment.

Looking back, I can honestly say just about every unit I looked at would have met my requirements. The differences (then) between the PM, General, Jet, and Delta were ultimately minor.

It boiled down to quality, price and performance. If you have identified two or three saws that meet or match these three areas, say goodbye Jet and hello new saw.

For the record the X5 has performed flawlessly.
    Trees. Tools. Time.

In general you're right that we have a lot of quality machinery choices available to us. But at this point in time for some of us, the choices are a bit limited. Some of us (myself included) have decided that a riving knife is a critical, must-have safety feature. Once you make that decision, your choices are narrowed considerably.

Right now I think Grizzly has 3 models (one of which is being backordered), Jet has one (also scarce), PM has one, Steel City has one that isn't shipping yet, and of course the SawStops. Delta has none, General has none. Craftsman has none. Oh, one of the Bosch contractor's saws has one too.

I expect this situation to change significantly over the next 12 months as new models are introduced, and the riving knife becomes more common. As the economy improves, we'll also see manufacturers willing to keep a bit more inventory on-hand, so we'll see fewer cases of having to wait many weeks for delivery of a new piece of equipment.
    --Steve--

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sawyer View Post
    As frustrated as I and many others have been with Jet, it seems they do know how to under-promise and over deliver. When informed of the backorder on my 3HP Deluxe XACTA my distributor was told that it could be expected to arrive at Jet's warehouse with a shipment due around April 25th.

I called the distributor and asked about it today, wondering if we'd receive any advance shipping notice or if it would just show up. The distributor said he hadn't checked on it in about a month, and said he'd do so and let me know what he found out.

He called back to say that the darn thing had just arrived at their dock!!

Woo Hoo!!
    Woo hoo, here, too! I had been holding my breath since I got a shipping notice last Friday with delivery of next Monday. FWIW, I was given the 4/25 shipment date as well. Guess what I'll be doing this weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by Yun-Fong Loh View Post
    Guess what I'll be doing this weekend?
    Indeed. My best bud and I have arranged for him to pick me up early Saturday with his pickup and a low-boy trailer so we can go drag it home. Should have it back by mid-to-late morning and we can start unpacking and disassembling to get it all down the basement stairs into the shop.

I'm hoping I can get it reassembled, wired and fired up before I go to bed on Saturday night!!
    --Steve--

7. Quote Originally Posted by Art Travers View Post
    I really do not know what the fascination is with Woodcraft or Rockler..
    I purchase most of my tools from Amazon..Usually with free shipping
    and no tax...
    I ordered the new 3hp exacta on Jan 15 from Amazon, it was delivered
    on Jan 23...Sorry to hear that you are getting a run-around..

For example, I odered some blades from Amazon and for some reason,
    the order got fouled up...To make it up to me they discounted the blades
    20% and sent them OVN mail..You can bet Woodcraft or Rockler would
    never do that..
    I also had a altercation with Rockler over jointer they
    listed in a flyer with free shipping which was only available at a local
    store which would not include the free shipping.. Got it at Amazon with
    the discount and free shipping..
    Amazon has had me wait 3-4 months for things several times, despite it being "in stock". At least if you buy local, you can talk to someone local.
    Not bashing Amazon, but they are really no better than anyone else in this regard. Personally, Amazon is no longer a vendor of choice for me, but I can see why others like them.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sawyer View Post
    Au Contraire.

Rockler last year had a special on Jet 10" handscrew .
    I have a good Rockler story too. I ordered some knobs they had on closeout. Apparently, there was an inventory glitch and they could not fulfill my order. A human actually called me and politely explained the situation and helped me find suitable substitutes. Much better than what Amazon does.. which is to just send you an email every 2 weeks telling you that the order is delayed, but it will get to you eventually.

I ordered a book from Amazon once. Waited 6 months for it to get here, and it never did (canceled at that point). Just got a form email every 2 weeks.