Thread: Wiring Fluoresent lights??

Question Wiring Fluoresent lights??

I am adding 2 more fluorescents to my workshop

Everything seems to be right but I want to check.

The ballast is laid out as such:

rt side 2 blue and 2 red going to bulb holders
    lt side black and white wire; 2 yellow conencted to bulb holders.

Question there is a third yellow that was loose - is this connected to the bulb holders or is this yellow lead not connected or connected somewhere else?

Also how do you ground the ballast?

This is the closest i could find only difference is mine is 2' 2 bulb set up
    http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...003&lpage=none

Confused...

This best represents the wiring diagram:

Joe

"Is that you, Baxter? Bark twice if you're in Milwaukee. Is this Wilt Chamberlain?"

Do both fixtures have a loose wire or just one? If just one, take it back. If both, a picture might help.

Regarding grounding.. there should be a greenish screw inside the light that the ground attaches to. If not, you can just attach the ground wire with a screw. The electrical dept should have grounding screws available at most BORGs.

Thanks Eric

I don't have a pic; both yellow wires were not connected.

DO I have to forge my own ground as the ballast only has a black and white - or is the additional yellow suppose to be the ground?? A I have never seen a yellow gnd. Any help would be a very big help I searched hi/LO for any pics of the set up I have
    Joe

"Is that you, Baxter? Bark twice if you're in Milwaukee. Is this Wilt Chamberlain?"

Joe,

You should have two yellow wires coming out of the ballast. One yellow per socket, the third yellow wire is a jumper going from one socket to the other. There is no reason that there should be loose wires in a brand new fixture. If it were me I would take it back and get another or get a different brand all together. It sounds like there quality control isn't quite up to par.

sorry I never answered you question about the ground.

The ground wire should be attached to a screw on the fixture or the ballast somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Long View Post
    sorry I never answered you question about the ground.

The ground wire should be attached to a screw on the fixture or the ballast somewhere.
    Right. In other words, there won't be a "wire" per se on the fixture but there should be a point where you can screw the green/bare wire from your wiring. There might even be a little "GND" written on there or the universal sign for ground near a screw hole:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 03-04-2008 at 2:26 PM.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Gnd

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Right. In other words, there won't be a "wire" per se on the fixture but there should be a point where you can screw the green/bare wire from your wiring. There might even be a little "GND" written on there or the universal sign for ground near a screw hole:
    SO the ballast will be grounded by the GND coming in on the supply and screwed to the fixture?

Still not sure why there is a plain unattached yellow wire?
    Joe

The two yellow wires go into two sockets (lets say on the left side of the fixture) the other plain yellow wire is a "jumper wire" between those two sockets.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe D'Attilio View Post
    SO the ballast will be grounded by the GND coming in on the supply and screwed to the fixture?
    Yes, that is correct.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Thanks all - i completed tonight after a trip to the shooting range with fellow creeker Wayne Bitting; and everything works fine! 1st a double gang of receptacles, 2 fluorescents on a switch, next I'll be rewiring my house LOL

I'll be starting on my 1st 2 workbenches this week hopefully! One for honing to house a delta variable speed grinder, a Delta DP200 variable speed DP, belgian stones and a nice slab of granite for flattening. , the other will be my workbench on my slide downthe slippery slope of NEANDER!
    Last edited by Joe D'Attilio; 03-04-2008 at 10:09 PM.
    Joe