Thread: grizzly 1021x2 or grizzly 0453z

Cool grizzly 1021x2 or grizzly 0453z

I am looking for a 15 inch planer and after some reading I am interested in the grizzly 1021x2 and the 0453z. The x is built in a Taiwanese IOS 9001 factory and the z is built in China. Looks like the x has a byrd cuter head and the z has a grizzly cuter head. The z has a built in mobil base. The x is $100 more. I would like more imformation and advice. thank you Allan

Allan,

I own the Grizzly 1021X and I can say that I have been very impressed with the quality of this machine. It appears that the 1021X2 is basically the same machine with the addition of the Byrd head and the relocation of the power switch to a more convenient location. In my opinion, the 1021X2 is well worth the extra $100.

Good luck with your decision, and wecome to Sawmill Creek!

Jerry
    Last edited by Jerry White; 03-03-2008 at 11:40 PM.

Allen... welcome. I have the 1021x. As Jerry said, its excellent and Im sure either the 1021x2 or the 453 will be also. The 1021x2 is made in China as well as the 453z. I know because I downloaded the x2 manual to see if there were any real differances between it and my 1021x. We just discussed this same exact thing last week.

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=77831

I also am interested in these two planers as an eventual upgrade from my Ridgid lunchbucket.

Question for you who own them: It appears that the cutting head is stationary and the table goes up and down to adjust the cut. Do you need to use the four locks every time you adjust the height? Seems like that would take quite a while as you gradually planed down a board. If not, what exactly are they for?

Allan,

Thanks to Lance for identifying the place of manufacture for the 1021X2. One of the positives of the 1021X (last years model) was that it was manufactured in Taiwan, in an ISO9001 rated factory. In my judgement, the best quality in the Asian imports has been coming from Taiwan. I know that China is improving and evolving, but I am surprised to learn that the 1021 is now manufactured in China. I know that Shiraz looked on the 1021 as his highest quality 15 inch machine. Maybe he has a factory in China that he feels comfortable with on quality control?

Edit: Here's a little more information on the 1021X2....see post #10 in this link: http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.p...grizzly+planer

Jerry
    Last edited by Jerry White; 03-04-2008 at 10:33 AM.

thanks for the help

In response to Lance about where the two planers are built. This is a little bit of a surprise, because I had e mailed Grizzly to get some imformation and the reply said that the 1021x2 was built in a Taiwanesee IOS 9001 factory

Allen... I was surprised as well. I wonder if the owners manual is a misprint...? It did drop $200 from what I paid for the 1021x, so...maybe China.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Allan Daskam View Post
    In response to Lance about where the two planers are built. This is a little bit of a surprise, because I had e mailed Grizzly to get some imformation and the reply said that the 1021x2 was built in a Taiwanesee IOS 9001 factory
    Just to clarify, the G1021X2 is made in China in the factory that is owned and operated by the Taiwanese company that made the G1021 and the G1021X. The castings are actually a little better because they are made in new molds in a modern casting factory next door to the plant and the cutterheads and essential parts are shipped from Taiwan to China intercompany.
    I regularly go to both factories and often see the same factory managers and staff that I see at the Taiwanese plant. Actually, the owner is personal friend of mine for over 30 years and he spends 10 days to two weeks every month at the China plant and the rest in Taiwan. I told him he was nuts to have a schedule like that. His response was that he wanted to make sure that both plants put out the kind of quality that his customers were accustomed to.
    For our QC, we send our Taiwanese inspectors regularly to this factory for all shipments because all the managers at the factory speak Taiwanese and know our inspectors very well from having worked with them in Taiwan.

Blog Entries
    Shiraz, could you clarify the differences between the two machines other than their manufacturing plant? The specification sheets and what is published in the latest catalogue show very little difference in the machines to justify the two competeing models.

I too am considering these two models and am having difficulty picking one vs the other.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Brent Grooms View Post
    Shiraz, could you clarify the differences between the two machines other than their manufacturing plant? The specification sheets and what is published in the latest catalogue show very little difference in the machines to justify the two competeing models.

I too am considering these two models and am having difficulty picking one vs the other.
    Are you referring to the differences between the G1021X2 and the G0453Z?
    Two completely different factories. The G0453Z is a very good machine with many, many happy users. Has a built-in mobile base. Has their own cast iron foundry so they can produce machines for a slightly lesser cost. Relatively new factory for us (about 5 years), but a factory that "jumps" when we ask them to. So we are very pleased with them as far as making improvements etc..
    The G1021X2 is, like I mentioned before, made in a Taiwanese owned factory. The G1021 series of machines has a lot continuity with us and this factory. We started carrying them 25 years ago and then the models evolved into what the "X2" is today. They have got planer making down solid. It has better switch placement and a nicer look (in my opinion). No mobility kit. It's only a hundred bucks more.

Thank you for your input Mr. Balolia. Looks like the 1021x2 for me. Sawmill creek is a great site.

What are the thoughts on this topic today?

13. Quote Originally Posted by Martin Moses View Post
    What are the thoughts on this topic today?
    Just to Update everyone - the original post is 12 years old. All the G1021 series of machines are now Made in Taiwan and have been for a few years. They closed down their China factory a few years ago. Taiwan factory is Amazing and the owner/CEO has been a long time friend of mine (over 40 yrs). It is now a publicly traded company and we still get the personalized service.

Thanks.