Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Electrical Main Panel ??

If there's living space overhead, I'd take the extra time to add some insluation for noise abatement IF you opt to yank down the existing, also put in as many lights as ya can fit if you're going down that route.
    Then follow Chris' advice to install something ya can paint nice n white.
    Sounds like a simple solution to the juice problem too....

Cheers.
    Greg

My upgrade from 200amp main to 400 with a 200 amp setup in the shop a few years ago was right around 5 grand which included trenching and conduit.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Chris - I'm not going to use the breakers but simply re route the wiring for the lights and receptacle to the switch that controls the walkway light. That way I'll free the 3 breakers and thee will be no /minimal power to those items when not in use.

NO living space just basement. I have a neighbor but it is concrete or brick between the walls.

Jim - Good to know but a little out of my budget right now, ok alot out of my budget LOL.
    Joe

"Is that you, Baxter? Bark twice if you're in Milwaukee. Is this Wilt Chamberlain?"

Neander

I've appraoching the neander route so I don't beleive noise is a big problem. But thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Cole View Post
    If there's living space overhead, I'd take the extra time to add some insluation for noise abatement IF you opt to yank down the existing, also put in as many lights as ya can fit if you're going down that route.
    Then follow Chris' advice to install something ya can paint nice n white.
    Sounds like a simple solution to the juice problem too....

Cheers.
    Greg
    Joe

"Is that you, Baxter? Bark twice if you're in Milwaukee. Is this Wilt Chamberlain?"

Not sure if this helps, but I was quoted $500 to run a 100 amp sub panel from my main panel to the opposite side of the garage.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Sounds good on the consolidation...nice find! Just don't use the breaker box as your junction box to tie those circuits together!
    FYI,

It's NEC-compliant to use a panelboard as a junction box. There are rules that apply, but let's not get into that now.

Were I doing this, I'd still put in a separate junction box with a nipple to the main panelboard. That way it's a lot clearer in terms of how the circuit is wired and keeps the mess of the wire nuts out of the panelboard.

Tips:
    • Use one of the "offset nipples". They look like a really flat "S". The nice thing about them is they compensate for the potential different heights between the factory-punched cutouts in the panelboard and the box you use for a junction box.
    • Use a nice big 4 11/16" square box for the junction. You'll have 5 sets of wires running into it.
    • Make sure you use wire nuts that are rated for (5) conductors at whatever gauge you're using. Without running down to the basement to check, I don't think that a standard yellow wire nut is rated for (5) #12 or #14 conductors - you need larger.
    Rob
    Addy protocol: unlicensed, homeowner electrician
    Last edited by Rob Russell; 03-01-2008 at 1:08 PM. Reason: spelling

Update:

I looked at the spec on the big bags that I bought my wire nuts in.

If you're joining (5) #12 copper conductors, you need the "Big Blue" wire nuts.

I couldn't read the print on the bag, but I believe that (5) #14 copper conductors in a Red wire nut is OK.

Rob

Addy protocol: unlicensed, homeowner electrician