Thread: THANKS to Dale Thompson!

Cool THANKS to Dale Thompson!

Here I am, practically in the middle of deer country and end up relying on a woodworking forum hundreds of miles away to provide me with a donor for Whitetail Deer antlers! This place rocks! Dale Thompson, as my daughter would say, "You are the bomb!" After just a couple quick emails, I had a package in my mailbox with some carefully wrapped deer antlers, courtesy of Dale! He even included a few pre-cut to size and a couple complete with tubes glued in! He even threw in a nice "how-to" letter with tips and all! Man, it just don't get no better.

Well, I finally got caught up with a couple other "honey-do's" today, so I decided to tackle the antler. I figured, rather than use the ones already prepped, I would take it from Square 1. I'm happy to report that the mission was a success! I rough-sized a couple horns, figuring a straight line of bore within the curve and jigged it up on the DP. Managed to drill it out without a blow out and got the full length of the tube and then some! Whew...Does that stuff stink, BTW! I glued the tubes in with some Ultra-thick CA and hit it with accelerator. Squared up the ends and chucked 'em up on the pen mandrel. Trust me when I say that the attached picture simply doesn't do it justice! Wow..Is it ever neat! When I showed my daughter, she was trying to remember the name "Corian", because that's what she thought it was! It really turns out super and even worth the initial stench. Here's the result and sorry for the pic quality. And Dale, thanks again. You ARE the bomb!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

John
    Thats a real beauty. I have some antler and it would have only cost you a trip of a couple hours south for a visit. Would you or Dale consider posting the antler turning tips? I want to use them in the tops I am making.
    Terry

They are challenging to work on arn't they!! By the way having a dust collector hose nearby when machining and a cartridge paint mask help some

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Quiram
    John
    Thats a real beauty. I have some antler and it would have only cost you a trip of a couple hours south for a visit. Would you or Dale consider posting the antler turning tips? I want to use them in the tops I am making.
    Terry
    Thanks! Tips? Yeah, for starters, do what Craig points out! Also, as with any turning, sharp chisels are mandatory. I used a roughing gouge to start with and, when i got all the rough stuff knocked down, I switched to an oval skew. You will need to get the final form down as close as you can with your chisel of choice, rather than depend on the "80 grit chisel" sometimes incorporated on wood pieces. I threw a coat of friction polish on mine, though I'm not even sure it's necessary. If you work your way up the grits, there's really little noticeable difference once the polish is on. I worked up through all of them, including ALL of my *Micromesh*.

As a sidenote, I hear that some folks have allergic reactions to certain animal bones and such, including antlers. A buddy of mine told me he knows a carver who had to stop carving such items, due to this. Just something to be aware of. Have fun! It's really worth the extra effort!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!

Antler Pens!!

Hi Spring,
    Thanks for the advertising! Why is it that you can make your FIRST antler pen look better than my LAST one? I've made about firty so far. Talent really makes me feel outraged. I have been known to turn into a werewolf under such circumstances. Make sure that you lock your doors and stay inside during the next full moon!!

I am so ticked off that I hope your wife follows through on her threat to use your "remains" to fertilize her flowers. But again, are UGLY flowers really flowers??

Whatever, John, VERY, VERY nice work!! Now, where are my blood pressure pills?? I was sort of kidding on the werewolf thing -sort of kidding?!?

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

Antler odor!

Hey Spring,
    If you guys from the central part of the Badger State are such "wimps", try what my Doctor suggested (He's the county Coronor). Take a paper dust mask and put a couple drops of after-shave lotion on it. It works! I did that for the first few antler pens that I made. Lately, since I've learned how "crummy" my pens will turn out, I quit doing that in favor of getting my pens out to my friends as quickly as possible. Anyway, they WERE friends!

Whatever, looking at your antler pen, I think that I am going to need the mask again. When comparing it to mine - I think that I am getting sick!! NICE WORK!!

Dale T.

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Thanks! Tips? Yeah, for starters, do what Craig points out! Also, as with any turning, sharp chisels are mandatory. I used a roughing gouge to start with and, when i got all the rough stuff knocked down, I switched to an oval skew. You will need to get the final form down as close as you can with your chisel of choice, rather than depend on the "80 grit chisel" sometimes incorporated on wood pieces. I threw a coat of friction polish on mine, though I'm not even sure it's necessary. If you work your way up the grits, there's really little noticeable difference once the polish is on. I worked up through all of them, including ALL of my *Micromesh*.

As a sidenote, I hear that some folks have allergic reactions to certain animal bones and such, including antlers. A buddy of mine told me he knows a carver who had to stop carving such items, due to this. Just something to be aware of. Have fun! It's really worth the extra effort!
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

Hey Dale, good idea on the mask! After-shave lotion, huh? Guess that means I should probably take back that bottle of chloroform. I actually went in the house and snagged a couple cones of incense to try and mask it a bit. Worked OK, actually, but then, between the antler stench and the incense, the place smelled like an old 70's hippie joint!

At any rate, we all know you're pulling our leg(s) regarding the ones you turn. Pics man, we need PICS!

Oh, and 500 miles on a sled would totally beat the snot outta' me! Also, you never mentioned how the scrap-book cabinet was received! I'm willing to bet that was the hit of the weekend!

Thanks again! I'll find *some* way to get back at 'ya! I will....!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

NOW I know the problem!!!

Hey Dale, good idea on the mask! After-shave lotion, huh? Guess that means I should probably take back that bottle of chloroform. I actually went in the house and snagged a couple cones of incense to try and mask it a bit. Worked OK, actually, but then, between the antler stench and the incense, the place smelled like an old 70's hippie joint!

At any rate, we all know you're pulling our leg(s) regarding the ones you turn. Pics man, we need PICS!

Oh, and 500 miles on a sled would totally beat the snot outta' me! Also, you never mentioned how the scrap-book cabinet was received! I'm willing to bet that was the hit of the weekend!

Thanks again! I'll find *some* way to get back at 'ya! I will....!

Hey John,

I've got it figured. I gave you the ONLY good set of antlers that I have ever had. That must be why yours looks so good.

Anyway, I turned the attached for our local Postmaster yesterday. She said that if I didn't make one for her husband she was going to revoke my zip code and that the only mail I ever received would be bills and all the junk mail for the whole city. What could I do?? I'm no wimp - but, there is a limit to my outstanding courage.

The guy holding the pen is my writing professor. He says that I am a very bright student and I may be into cursive by as early as 2009!!

Dale T.

ps I'm going to update that cabinet post SOON!! - I hope.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Thompson
    Hey John,

I've got it figured. I gave you the ONLY good set of antlers that I have ever had. That must be why yours looks so good.

Anyway, I turned the attached for our local Postmaster yesterday. She said that if I didn't make one for her husband she was going to revoke my zip code and that the only mail I ever received would be bills and all the junk mail for the whole city. What could I do?? I'm no wimp - but, there is a limit to my outstanding courage.

The guy holding the pen is my writing professor. He says that I am a very bright student and I may be into cursive by as early as 2009!!

Dale T.

ps I'm going to update that cabinet post SOON!! - I hope.
    Aw, ya' see there...And just when I was going to do a bunch of address changes for all of my bills to go to Peshtigo! Well, I'd say you're mighty safe, for now! Beautiful pen, my friend! Love that clip, too. Very appropriate I'd say and it looks like you'll continue to get you mail, bills and all! Thanks for the pic. Now that just means I'm going to have to get some different pen kits!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

10. Looks good John. It has character.

Boyd

Here I am, practically in the middle of deer country and end up relying on a woodworking forum hundreds of miles away to provide me with a donor for Whitetail Deer antlers! This place rocks! Dale Thompson, as my daughter would say, "You are the bomb!" After just a couple quick emails, I had a package in my mailbox with some carefully wrapped deer antlers, courtesy of Dale! He even included a few pre-cut to size and a couple complete with tubes glued in! He even threw in a nice "how-to" letter with tips and all! Man, it just don't get no better.

Well, I finally got caught up with a couple other "honey-do's" today, so I decided to tackle the antler. I figured, rather than use the ones already prepped, I would take it from Square 1. I'm happy to report that the mission was a success! I rough-sized a couple horns, figuring a straight line of bore within the curve and jigged it up on the DP. Managed to drill it out without a blow out and got the full length of the tube and then some! Whew...Does that stuff stink, BTW! I glued the tubes in with some Ultra-thick CA and hit it with accelerator. Squared up the ends and chucked 'em up on the pen mandrel. Trust me when I say that the attached picture simply doesn't do it justice! Wow..Is it ever neat! When I showed my daughter, she was trying to remember the name "Corian", because that's what she thought it was! It really turns out super and even worth the initial stench. Here's the result and sorry for the pic quality. And Dale, thanks again. You ARE the bomb!
    Every man’s work is always a portrait of himself.

John,

The correct expression is, "Da Bombe!"
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    John,

The correct expression is, "Da Bombe!"
    Thanks Chris! I stand corrected. (The only other "Da" expression I'm familiar with is: "Dah Bears"!) [Oh boy, talk abou settin' myself up for a flame!]
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas