Thread: Any Experience with the Ryobi 18V trim router?

Any Experience with the Ryobi 18V trim router?

I'm thinking of getting a trim router in the near future for edge treatments and jobs that would require balancing it on the edge of a board.

The Bosch Colt seems to be the one of choice, but since this is a low power tool, I'm wondering what (if anything) I'd give up by going cordless?

Hey Jeremy... I know its been four months since you asked about the Ryobi One+ Trim Router, but here goes. I just bought one about a week ago because I wanted to use a 3/8" round over on my picnic table and my step daughters patio table. Both are treated lumber. My table is fairly dry, the lumber her table is made of was very wet. I made full depth passes on both sides and ends of 2 benches, both 72" long~12" wide. Full depth passes on both sides of my table 72"~36" wide. Full depth passes on her table, 4 sides 36" and full depth passes on both sides of 4 benches, 24" long, 12" wide. I started with a full battery and after completing all these cuts, the battery was in the "yellow". I am happy with this "router". I started making partial passes and after a few feet, decided to make a full depth pass. It never struggled. I also bought the woodworking base from Grainger to make it a true router. The base is $18. HTH.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My favorite cologne is BLO

Thanks a lot Lance. I'll probably get one in the future. I have been putting it off, since all my bits are 1/2" shank and I'm not looking forward to the duplication.

But sometimes, it is just a pain in the butt to bring out the big boy to do a simple round-over or chamfer. Flush trimming jigs are also going to be better with a router like this.

Thanks for your (thorough) comments.

P.S. - I'm also considering the circ. saw based on your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Zorns View Post
    ...sometimes, it is just a pain in the butt to bring out the big boy to do a simple round-over or chamfer. Flush trimming jigs are also going to be better with a router like this.
    I feel thats the beauty of the One+ tools. The miter saw, the weedwacker, the circular saw, the trim router, the lawn blower, the recip. saw, the shop vac. These are all great tools because of the cordless advantage.

P.S. - I'm also considering the circ. saw based on your comments.
    This is a great tool. I just used it again the other day to cut some sheets of plywood for my barn roof. I made cuts in 3/4" ply and it has plenty of power and the battery life is really good(lithium-ion).
    Last edited by Lance Norris; 06-26-2008 at 2:49 PM.

As long as you're using the lithium ion batteries you should be good. I have the circ saw and it can really eat my old batteries!

You can even get a Forrest WW2 blade that will fit that Ryobi saw!

http://www.amazon.com/Forrest-WW05T4...4524112&sr=8-1

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Donahue View Post
    You can even get a Forrest WW2 blade that will fit that Ryobi saw!
    Thats pretty cool. I would have never thought that. I bought a couple of Oldham(sp?) blades for it, but so far, the Ryobi blade has held up very well.

I too have been pleased with my One+ trim router. I bought the woodworking base, but rarely use it (anyone need one?). But for any roundover task I reach for the cordless. It's lightweight and easy to adjust. Battery run time is average with the ni-cds. Haven't tried the lithium packs yet.