Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bottom-Up Engraving

Bottom-Up Engraving

I've seen references here to engraving from the bottom to the top. Is this possible on my Epilog Legend 32EX? How is it done?
    Bill Jermyn
    Waterloo Engraving
    Kitchener, ON
    Epilog Legend 32EX 75 Watt, Corel X3, Photograv, Wacom Intuos 3 6X8 graphics tablet

In the print menu, Properties,

Advanced, check off bottom up engraving. It only works with rastering, but it is great for keeping the text clean.
    Perfect for dark backgrounds, with white letters.
    Wow, I actually know something!
    Hope someone, heck anyone's having fun in Vegas.
    coldest day of the year, here.
    Have a great day
    Barb

The ULS system I have has a menu option as well for this. Unfortunately, the raster motion is only about 1/2 the speed compared to top down. There is a large delay between scans.

Mark
    ULS X-2 660, Corel X3, Haas VF4, Graphtec vinyl cutter, Xenetech rotaries (3), Dahlgren Tables, Gorton P2-3, New Hermes pantographs (2), and recently, 24" x 36" chinese router. Also do sublimation, sand blasting, & metal photo. Engraver since 1975.

Sorry to be thick, but where do I find 'Advanced'?
    Bill Jermyn
    Waterloo Engraving
    Kitchener, ON
    Epilog Legend 32EX 75 Watt, Corel X3, Photograv, Wacom Intuos 3 6X8 graphics tablet

Bill, not sure about the Legend but do you have the latest drivers and firmware? If not, go to the Epilog sight and download them.
    Brian Robison
    MetalMarkers
    Epilog Mini
    Rabbit 1290

6. Bill, when you send a job to the printer it opens the print driver window the "Bottom-Up" control will be in one of those tabs. In version 7.08 of the print driver it is in the General tab. Just find it and check the box and your set.
    Jeff

This site is able to operate solely from contributions from people like us. So, if you like what you see then forgo one hamburger this year and donate that money.

Legend - Bottom Up

Bill,

I am not sure if the Legend 32 has that capability or not. I have the Legend 36EXT and it has the "Bottom Up" option in the print driver under the "General" tab. This is how it is with the latest print driver. The prior print driver used to have it on the "Advanced" tab.

You might have to visit Epilog's site and see if they have an updated driver for the Legend 32. It might be a situtation where the Legend 32 does not have that capability.

Maybe if Peck reads this thread, I'm sure he'll be able to shed some light if the Legend 32 has the 'Bottom Up' capability.
    Thanks,

Mike DeRegnaucourt

Axiom AR8 Pro CNC, 60-Watt Epilog Legend 36EXT, Prusa MK3 3D Printer, SE-DC16, Powermatic Bandsaw, JET Lathe, Craftsman Lathe, Rigid Drill Press, Excalibur Scroll Saw, Craftsman Tablesaw, Delta Dust Collector, JET Air Filtration, Craftsman Planer, Old Craftsman Jointer, JessEm Router Table with Porter Cable 7518 Router, etc...

Aspire v9.5, CorelDraw 2021, Corel Video Studio 2019, ShaderMap Pro, GIMP, Mesh Mixer, Fusion 360, Sculptris, Google Sketchup, etc...

Legend 32 EX Does Not Have It

Bill, Epilog developed the "bottom up" engraving capability for their newer systems a year or so ago. They have said that they would not retro the older machine drivers for that capability. Too bad. It comes in pretty handy at times. The only machines that will do it are the Minis, the Helix and the 36 EXT. Maybe their new little twerp, sorry I meant the Zippy will have that advanced feature. Sure wouldn't want someone paying less than what it costs to build a system to not have all the bells and whistles. (Sorry, I must have woken up on the wrong side this morning.)

Now i am being thick, what are the real advantages of "bottom-up" engraving? My machines just converted over to this because of new software. I have never really looked into the matter, but now I am curious. ??
    Owner/Coordinator
    The-Laser's Edge L.L.C.
    In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back.
    We make a living by what we get, and we make a life by what we give.

My Helix has the bottom-up feature, but I have also not used it. I just recently, through a thread on the Creek, found out about center-to-center and found that to be the best thing since sliced bread. What would be the ideal job that the bottom-up feature would shine at?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Greg Vaughn [Epilog Helix 45W] - CorelDrawX3 - Photograv 2.11

You will find that bottom up engraving will give you significantly cleaner engraving, with less smoke fill in the lettering. That is very handy when using dark colors over light colors like black/white or red/white. This also makes for less cleanup on that type of engraving. It also works nicely on acrylic engraving and improves the clean look.
    Sandee Force

A few dollars spent contributing to SMC will save you hundreds of dollars in time and materials.

Is there any advantage top-to-bottom engraving has over bottom-to-top?
    Owner/Coordinator
    The-Laser's Edge L.L.C.
    In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back.
    We make a living by what we get, and we make a life by what we give.

Sandra,

Thanks for the information ... just to understand it, however, why is this so?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Greg Vaughn [Epilog Helix 45W] - CorelDrawX3 - Photograv 2.11

I think the utility of this depends on how your air assist is directed and how the evacuation system works , what I have found is a total godsend on my machines is the "engrave from the centre" option.
    IE I can start my engraving from the centre of it. Very handy for positioning as the centre of most things can be found VERY easily as can the centre of an engraving area. Apart from that , it also misses lips of bowls etc , you start from the center of the bowl and end back there.

Are Trotec users aware of how we can do bottoms up engraving - I remember Mike Null remarked once to me that it can be done, but I did not ask for details at the time. If it is software driven, and I guess it must be, I have older operating software on my machine - so I may not be able to operate in that mode.