Thread: Laguna Platinum Horz Slot Mortiser Ordered

Laguna Platinum Horz Slot Mortiser Ordered

A little premature to gloat but I have put a deposit on a Laguna Horizontal Slot Mortiser scheduled to arrive in late March. Apparently the first shipment for early march is already sold. Had a very honest conversation with the sales rep about its capabilities vrs the more expensive european models, seems it will do what I need assuming the machine is weighted and/or bolted to the floor. Weight is 270# which is a little light over all, he said some guys have put steel plates under the base, others have used sand bags!

I have access to 8" square tubular steel and a welder, I may just have a more stout base fabricated. I'm figuring for $1K, the XYZ table, motor and chuck alone are worth the price of admission. We'll see.

My sales rep specializes in Latin American markets (I am in new England, apparently yankee ingenuity is strongly rivaled by Latin American rescourcefulness). He said Laguna machines tend to be a hard sell south of the border where many woodworkers fabricate their own stuff. He described among other things one highly accurate band mill/mortiser set up that was made from an old VW bug! No OSHA in Mexico.

Any specific suggestions for tooling would be appreciated. I have searched onsrud, schmidt, amana and freud as well as other Horz mortiser dealers sites and am confused as to which types of cutters are appropriate for slotting at 2800 rpms.

Been using slot mortisers for 25 years and the best bits are 2 flute HSS endmills rated for aluminum. Inexpensive and cheap to sharpen. Congratulations on buying the slot mortiser. You will love it!!!

Thanks Rick.

Take some pictures when you get it. I would love to hear about this machine and how well it works for you. Seems like a great price. I like the one David Marks has - JDS I believe makes it.

Mike, I'll post some pictures after I get it dirty! Laguna has great pictures on their web side in the machine preview section. I've wanted a slot mortiser since I first saw woodworks. The multi router is a bit out of price range for me right now. I'm hoping Laguna has pulled off a coup and found a way to offer a good machine at this price.

It is going to be sweet!!

Morris

I use Morris Tools in Tennessee.

I have found they work much better than end mills. Much cleaner cuts, and they are only about $12.

morriswoodtool dot com
    Sharpening skills, the plane truth.