Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: buyers remorse - just venting on my cordless vs corded dilemma

buyers remorse - just venting on my cordless vs corded dilemma

a couple weeks ago, i was asking for suggestions for corded vs cordless...

picked up a set of 24volt ridgid kit with the drill, recip, circular, jig and light for a great deal...

i'm thinking about taking it back now (still in 90 days) and buy just a ridgid 3 piece 18 volt cordless with the driver, recip and light for $143+tax...use the $450 from the 24volt kit on a Makita 4351FCT for $157 shipped, Makita 5007MG for $130 shipped OR a Milwaukee 6391-21 for $144 shipped, and finally a Milwaukee 6523-21P rotating sawzall for $152+tax at HD...

I'd be paying an extra $150 but i'm thinking it'll be worth it...

i don't know, really just venting, thinking out loud if you will...if you got some cents to throw in, feel free to do so...

just kind of thinking that i might regret not having the full power of electric power...and thinking i may only need a cordless recip for quick cutting outside if needed, and if i needed to do a project that would take a while outside, it might be worth to drag the extension out there...

again, just kind of pulling out my hair thinking about what i really want and really need...errrrrrrrrrr

I may be the exception, but I bought the Ryobi 18V combo pack (circ saw, drill, light).... I spent $100 and I have used the heck out of it.

I have even used it for a few tapcons ....

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Koepke View Post
    I may be the exception, but I bought the Ryobi 18V combo pack (circ saw, drill, light).... I spent $100 and I have used the heck out of it.

I have even used it for a few tapcons ....
    You're not the only one. I bought the $180 kit, (lithium 18 V drill, flashlight, and bag) and have used the heck out of it too.

Some of my 18V stuff is pretty weak compared to corded, the jigsaw especially. Then again, I'm not a heavy duty user either.

From what I've read, the high voltage stuff is very close to the amount of power you'd get from corded, and it frees you up.

No looking back now. Just use the stuff and look forward. IF you do find that you honestly don't have enough power, then go buy a cheap corded product and get it over with.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Zorns View Post
    You're not the only one. I bought the $180 kit, (lithium 18 V drill, flashlight, and bag) and have used the heck out of it too.

Some of my 18V stuff is pretty weak compared to corded, the jigsaw especially. Then again, I'm not a heavy duty user either.

From what I've read, the high voltage stuff is very close to the amount of power you'd get from corded, and it frees you up.

No looking back now. Just use the stuff and look forward. IF you do find that you honestly don't have enough power, then go buy a cheap corded product and get it over with.
    that's a pretty good point...

my old man has a corded recip saw, and circular saw and he lives 3 houses down...

yeah this is one of those situations where i could almost jump on either side of the fence and i'll be happy...

it'd be nice to get both, but it'd be overkill for how much i use them...

I got the Ryobi 18volt combo; Drill, Circular Saw, Light, and a radio w/mp3 hookup. It only cost me 60 bucks(thanksgiving day sale), the drill is worth that alone, its great!
    I prefer my corded circular saw, but my cordless drills get the most use, I only bring out my corded drill for my hole saw. I'm am pretty new to the hobby so take anything I say with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Costlow View Post
    I got the Ryobi 18volt combo; Drill, Circular Saw, Light, and a radio w/mp3 hookup. It only cost me 60 bucks(thanksgiving day sale), the drill is worth that alone, its great!
    I prefer my corded circular saw, but my cordless drills get the most use, I only bring out my corded drill for my hole saw. I'm am pretty new to the hobby so take anything I say with a grain of salt.
    nice to see other youngin's hanging around here...

i hear you about the cordless drill, without a doubt i don't think there's a person on this forum without a cordless drill...i got ridgid's compact lithium drill and also a set of panasonic nimh 12volt drill/driver and impact driver, nice stuff...

man this is so hard to make these choices...i think i'm going to go bald before i finally settle on a decision...lol

Maybe they might last longer but for me I get very good use out of my Old Makita 9.6, Dewalt 12.0, and Ryobi 18v. I can't see paying the money for 24v right now. I have extra batteries for everything so if one gets low, just swap out. When I really need to drive something. I break out the corded tools. There is a propper time when you need a 110v sawzall. Amazing how much faster they will cut something when you can really lean into them. 1/2" D handle drill will twist your arm pretty good if your not carefull. In a couple months there will be 32v kits out for the price you paid now for 24v. Its like computers, they keep increasing the numbers so you will reinvest. I am sure I am glossing over key points. But hey, my Makita 9.6 still delivers and just becasue its old doesn't mean it sits in the back of the shelf. It still gets constant use.

In your situation, I'd go for the mix of corded and cordless tools.

I prefer lighter cordless tools like drills in the 14 to 18 volt range. I use the heck out of a 14v impact driver. Then I get out the corded drills for more demanding work, like the 1/2" hammer drill. Jig and circular saws are all corded. Don't have a Sawzall yet, but it'll be corded when I get one. Don't intend to be using any of them anywhere a 100' extension cord won't reach.

450 is a lot of coin for a set of cordless tools. I also favor the lighter end of the spectrum say the 12 or 14v stuff for home use. I have all bosch 14.4, drill, jigsaw, impactor, circular saw. The only one that is a short run even on a charged battery is the circular saw, but what it lacks in longevity, it makes up in ease of use. The jigsaw will run as long as a drill and it works as well as the corded version. One of the benefits of buying the tools individually is that you can amass more batteries and chargers. With multiple tools, you will need the ability to swap fresh batteries quite a bit. I think I am up to 6 or 7 batteries and two chargers for the bosch stuff right now. Comes in handy for sure.

I would probably return the Ridgid 24 volt tools and go for something different. I have used the ryobi and the craftsman cordless tools as well and while they arent quite up to the higher priced versions, they do the job and are way cheaper. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce Lee View Post
    a couple weeks ago, i was asking for suggestions for corded vs cordless...

again, just kind of pulling out my hair thinking about what i really want and really need...errrrrrrrrrr
    I didn't see the original post, but I am not a fan of cordless tools. More expensive, and in my experience, less powerful and durable.
    I went through a couple of cordless drills. They were nice for putting pocket screws in while the charge held. They were nice for screwing in electrical outlet screws.. stuff like that. But they can't really drill.

I'd much rather drag an extension cord out than have the battery go dead or weak on me. To me, corded isn't a big inconvience. But as a homeowner, all my tools are used at my home/yard (or family members).
    I can see why contractors would like the convience of cordless.

Also, I think it's a PITA to have to keep charging those batteries.

I mean, for less than $450, you could get a really nice corded drill with a 1/2", nice corded sawzall, and a really nice circular saw. They would all probably last you a lifetime. (The battery ones surely wouldn't.. they are disposable by nature).

How often are you really going to use that sawzall anyway? I use mine a few times a year. It's a godsend then, but maybe it gets ran 20 hours per year.. Why pay a premium for a cordless one that you have to worry about chargers/batteries dying on you, etc.

corded vs, cordless

I guess my opinion on which way to go would depend on where you intend to use the tools. I'm a home improvement contractor so I end up working at some sites where the electrical service is not available yet. This makes having the battery operated tools a must. I use the 18v Ryobi set just because I couldn't justify the expense of the Dewalt or Milwaukee brands for tools that are only for occasional use. When it comes to doing work in my shop, the only cordless tool that I use regularly is the drill. The cordless recip saw and circular saw can't come close to the steady power provided by the corded versions.

They are some LARGE coin but Festool's line of cordless drills are top notch. They are powerful, take a beating, and the batteries last quite well. These are the only cordless tools I have and they are wonderful. Everything else like my sawzall, Skil worm-drive, 1/2" drill, hammer drill are corded and my impact wrench is air. I don't used those as much as the cordless drills, however.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Can't comment on the cordless kits you guys are talking about but I will put in a plug for the Milwaukee V28 4 piece. I've had mine for almost 2 years now and they've been great. L-Ion batteries are the way to go regardless of voltage.
    And in regards to power, the circ saw is as powerful as my venerable Skil #77 and the drill is on par with a 1/2" Milwaukee Hole Shooter (which will make pretzels of your arms drilling steel DAMKHIT ). The other thing I like about the cordless circ saw is it uses a 6 1/4" blade so its more versatile than just cutting thin stock. This kit is a bit more than the other kits mentioned dollar wise, but ya get whatcha pay for.
    I don't use the recip saw all that much but it's nice to have none the less.

$0.02 donation.

Greg

Only buy cheap cordless tools...

Many years ago my wife bought me a cordless Milwaukee drill. My dad was an electrician who used the same one (corded drill) for 30+ years in trades; she
    though that would be a good purchase.

Forward 12 years and you can't buy batteries reasonably.... Trash that drill.

They'll get new battery forms and obsolete the old ones and you'll be stuck with a drill and no battery. So buy cheap tools if you buy cordless.

Looking for a corded circular saw now.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by adam krolnik View Post
    Looking for a corded circular saw now.

Adam
    Skil worm-drive.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.