Thread: Pantry Cabinet Plans Needed

Pantry Cabinet Plans Needed

Hi all, I am new to the forum and getting back to woodworking after a few years.

I want my first project to be a free-standing panty about 36" wide and 24" deep. One or two nice deep drawers on the bottom and a couple pull-out or swing-out storage compartments on top behind double doors.

I have had no luck finding any plans close to this so far. If anyone has some or can give me some direction I would love to get away from my computer and into my shop!

Thanks in advance,

Bob Hart

Bob, can you give me any additional information on what you looking for? There are many pantry designs but you have only given me the width and depth. For example, how high do you want it. Pantries are typically high. Give me more info and if you can't find a design that you like I'll draw one up for you. Ron

Ron,

My long term goal (like most of us in the forum I would guess) is to build new kitchen cabinets...Right now I am in the process of remodeling my den (next to the kitchen). I have the room gutted and ready to rebuild. Problem is that I also tore out a closet area where some of the kitchen items were located. So we are in need of temporary storage. I thought building a free standing panty-type piece would give me some practice for building kitchen cabinets as well as solve the temporary storage issue. It would go in the dining room until the kitchen is done, then I can put it in the basement for general storage.

I am picturing it about 3' wide, 2' deep and 7' high. As opposed to a cupboard, which generally seems to be two-piece with doors on the bottom and shelves on the top, I am thinking about one or two deep full width drawers on the bottom, for pots, pans, dutch oven, and heavier items. Above them would be double doors, which when opened would allow access to pull-out storage racks and/or swing out storage compartments. Would imagine using heavy duty drawer slides (file cabinet slides?) for the bottom drawers, and perhaps top and bottom slides for the upper sorage compartments.

My guess is it may have to be anchored to the wall somehow to prevent tipping when the bottom drawers are opened or the top storage units pulled out. I was picturing a beveled cleat on the back of the piece and a similar cleat attached to the wall, similar to the way a removable cabinet would attach.

I understand that this may be more elaborate than is needed for temporary storage, but the construction and assemble processes will be great practice for the upcomingt kitchen cabinet project.

BTW, planning on face frame construction with mortise and tenons on the face frame. Planning on biscuits to attach face frame to carcass.

Sorry my reply is so lengthy, but I wanted to give a better idea of what I am looking for and why.

Thanks again,

Bob Hart
    Last edited by bob hart; 02-25-2008 at 9:41 PM.

Bob, Have you seen this thread? It looks like something that you're looking for. Ron
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=71902

Thanks Ron,

Actually I did see that...not really detailed enough for me...I have never built a drawer to accept drawer slides.

My idea as of now is a 30"ish wide cabinet with a 12"ish deep drawer on the bottom...the next 48" or so would be pull-out or swing out shelves, and then 1 or 2 12" shelves on the top, perhaps behind the same doors as would cover the middle section.

I think what I am going to do is research the drawer slides and pantry hardware that would fit the project, and once I have seen the installation instructions, determine the fianl dimensions of the pantry carcase.

As far as drawer slides go, I am looking at the Accuride 'Eclipse' bottom- mounted slides for the lower drawer.

I have lurked a while looking for the best pantry hardware (any help invited).

I appreciate I am probably a bit obtuse with what I am "thinking". That is why this is a practice run. I want to be just "right" enough for the project to work, but the long-term goal is to learn the details along the way.

Thanks much for your advice.

I am just a little surprised that there are no detailed plans for such an item to be found on the internet. That is what I would really like to find...Would love to just follow instructions the first time, then the reading I have done on general cabinetmaking would be more appreciated.

Regards,

Bob Hart

Bob,
    I just finished a kitchen pantry that I designed from scratch in SketchUp, using projects from this site and others as inspiration. I looked for a while on the internet came up with pretty much nothing in the way of a canned solution. I picked up a book about cabinet building and made a base cabinet taller to fit the space available.

Building drawers to use extension slides was pretty simple. Full extension slides need fairly tight tolerances... mine were 1/2" +/- 1/32 per side between the drawer and case.
    I built the case, and measured, but the drawer bottoms to size, then added the sides and back on top of the bottom.

Anyhow, here's the finished product, I'd be glad to send you the sketchup file if it would help you design yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Mason View Post
    Bob,
    I just finished a kitchen pantry that I designed from scratch in SketchUp, using projects from this site and others as inspiration. I looked for a while on the internet came up with pretty much nothing in the way of a canned solution. I picked up a book about cabinet building and made a base cabinet taller to fit the space available.

Building drawers to use extension slides was pretty simple. Full extension slides need fairly tight tolerances... mine were 1/2" +/- 1/32 per side between the drawer and case.
    I built the case, and measured, but the drawer bottoms to size, then added the sides and back on top of the bottom.

Anyhow, here's the finished product, I'd be glad to send you the sketchup file if it would help you design yours.

I know it's been several years but I really like your design and haven't been able to find anything close on the net. Do you still have the plans for this?

Thanks,

Ed

I can tell you that you have putted a lot of time and efforts in your pantry cabinet plans and I get deeply interested with each single piece of facts you posted about work you have done.

I am also in need of a cabinet like the one you built. Can you send me your plans in sketch-up.
    Thanks
    Lee Jones