Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Frank's Workshop Construction Project

Report for the week ending July 18th, 2004

This week, I got in 3 solid days work on Monday through Wednesday but, then, very little work for the rest of the week. We have had company from Switzerland since early Friday and I have only managed to steal a little time away from entertaining them.

(Actually, I don’t really want to steal away time. The company is a couple and two young children (4 and 6) who were our next door neighbours in Kirkland Washington for five years. The children were born while we were there. Margaret and I were stand-in parents and grandparents and they will always remain a part of our extended family. They returned to Switzerland the day before we returned to Canada so no one felt that they were deserting anyone. )

This is what was accomplished:

• Finished nailing the plywood to the roof.

• Installed the 3 skylights (but, so far, only one with flashing).

• Got started on the shingling. I would estimate that the job is about one third done.

Next week:

(Our friends don't leave until Wednesday and the next day Margaret and I head up to our camp about 1000 kilometers north west of Toronto. We will be gone for about three weeks.)

• I would really like to finish the roof before we leave but I very much doubt the that this is possible. Among, other things, I would need to install a chimney. I will be happy if I can get about 90% of the shingles on, flashing around all the skylights and the remainder of the roof covered with (battened down) waterproof building paper.

The pictures I have included are:

(1) my friend Terry West helping me in the process of hoisting one of the heavy skylights up onto the roof

XX

(4) the roof as it looks right now
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 12-29-2008 at 8:04 PM. Reason: Removed material at OP's request

Hi Frank,

Those last two pics are great! Looks like your shop is taking shape.

Joe

I actually meant the last two prior to the last one. lol However, the last one looks great as well

Joe

Frank,

Are you planning on a ridge and soffet vents for your roof?

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Russell
    Frank,

Are you planning on a ridge and soffet vents for your roof?

Rob
    Yes I am Rob.

Report for 3 days ending July 21st, 2004

I managed to get about 10 hours work in between our guests and frequent rain storms (including a couple of real downpours).

The roof is mostly shingled. The major things places where I have not shingled are over the (to be installed) ridge vent and around the (to be installed) chimney.

Two pictures that I took about an hour ago are attached.

Tomorrow morning my wife and I are off to Pellow's Camp for between 3 and 4 weeks and I will be out of both phone and email contact while we are away. So there will be no more progress on the workshop for some time . However, a new set of projects awaits me at Pellow's Camp .

If anyone notices that the caps on the top edge of the two larger skylights are not properly installed, don't worry -I am aware of that and will quickly fix the problem upon my return.
    Last edited by Frank Pellow; 08-17-2004 at 2:58 PM.

Have fun at the camp Frank...sounds like you have your work cut out for you there....

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly C. Hanna
    Have fun at the camp Frank...sounds like you have your work cut out for you there....
    Thanks Kelly. I think that I will put together a 'Tour of Pellow's Camp" thread and post it on the Off Topic forum upon my return.

Leaving 10 minutes ...

Report for week ending 22 August, 2004

After a long absence, I got back to the construction of my shop in the later half of the week.

I had three items that I wanted to have done by the end of the day today. They were:

1. install the chimney for the wood burning stove,

2. finish shingling the roof, and

3. temporarily install the propane space heater in order to make sure it works. I bought the space heater at a store about 1000 kilometres from here (near my summer camp) and hauled it home in my trailer. I am going back there in about a week and want to make that I came hook everything together and get it working before then.

I did most of task 1, on Saturday, then noticed that the chimney flashing was the wrong size (the supplier's mistake, not mine). The place I obtained the chimney is closed Saturday afternoons and Sunday, so I have to wait until tomorrow to order correct flashing. Then I expect it might take up to a week to arrive.

I could not do task 2 until I have the flashing.

I did most of task 3 and got the pilot light working. However, both the instructions and the wire for the thermostat are missing so I could not fully test things.

The fact that I could not finish the roof, freed up some time for me to start on the siding and the sofits. As can be seen from the first attached picture, the siding steps are:

1) nail sheeting to the studs

2) staple building paper to the sheeting

3) nail 1" x 1.5" (real dimensions) horizontal strapping on 12" centres over the building paper

4) screw on pre-stained 1" by 12" (real dimensions) rough sawn pine boards leaving 1" between the boards.

5) screw on pre-stained 1" by 2.75" (real dimensions) battens

I am leaving again for Pellow's Camp on Friday and hope to get in about three days work before I leave. If I am really lucky, I will obtain the correct flashing then finish the roof, otherwise I just carry on with the sofits and siding.

Looking good Frank!
    I haven't posted any on my shop in a week or two!
    Ive had a weekend like yours purchaced some trim boards and painted them to finish the door's and Guess what (ran out of siding nails ) I was going to post the finishing of the outside.(except closing in the bottom I'll wait later for that)
    But I did get most of the electrical done in the shop this weekend.
    Jim

11. Thumbs up

...You’re coming along nicely Frank, looking real good.

Boyd

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    After a long absence, I got back to the construction of my shop in the later half of the week.

I had three items that I wanted to have done by the end of the day today. They were:

1. install the chimney for the wood burning stove,

2. finish shingling the roof, and

3. temporarily install the propane space heater in order to make sure it works. I bought the space heater at a store about 1000 kilometres from here (near my summer camp) and hauled it home in my trailer. I am going back there in about a week and want to make that I came hook everything together and get it working before then.

I did most of task 1, on Saturday, then noticed that the chimney flashing was the wrong size (the supplier's mistake, not mine). The place I obtained the chimney is closed Saturday afternoons and Sunday, so I have to wait until tomorrow to order correct flashing. Then I expect it might take up to a week to arrive.

I could not do task 2 until I have the flashing.

I did most of task 3 and got the pilot light working. However, both the instructions and the wire for the thermostat are missing so I could not fully test things.

The fact that I could not finish the roof, freed up some time for me to start on the siding and the sofits. As can be seen from the first attached picture, the siding steps are:

1) nail sheeting to the studs

2) staple building paper to the sheeting

3) nail 1" x 1.5" (real dimensions) horizontal strapping on 12" centres over the building paper

4) screw on pre-stained 1" by 12" (real dimensions) rough sawn pine boards leaving 1" between the boards.

5) screw on pre-stained 1" by 2.75" (real dimensions) battens

I am leaving again for Pellow's Camp on Friday and hope to get in about three days work before I leave. If I am really lucky, I will obtain the correct flashing then finish the roof, otherwise I just carry on with the sofits and siding.
    Last edited by Boyd Gathwright; 08-23-2004 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Remove embedded characters and adjust font size.
    Every man’s work is always a portrait of himself.

I like the board and battens...where did you get prestained rough pine?

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly C. Hanna
    I like the board and battens...where did you get prestained rough pine?
    The rough pine was not prestained when I purchased it. I stained the boards myself. I meant "prestained" before use, not "prestained" before purchase. By the way, I am ripping the battens and the strapping from the 1x12 boards.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Looking Great Frank but like others I'm taking points off for Ladder and Audi Abuse. You know better, and we can't be coming up there finishing that project if you get hurt. Enough Said!

Very stylish set up, superb craftsmanship. Keep the pix coming.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Hey Tyler, as long as you are taking off points, you should be able to ding me a bunch for the worst woodworkers offence. That is, using an unguarded blade on a table saw.

I am attaching a picture taken this moring of me ripping strapping on a saw without a guard. Hey, I don't even own a guard for this ancient saw. I am also including a shot of the dust control system.