Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Frank's Workshop Construction Project

I used to have a free shop design program that I downloaded off the web, but I can't seem to find the link now. I thought it was called Easy Shop or something like that. Maybe someone else knows where to find it.

Here is a diagram of my proposed shop layout that I put together using some free software suggested by Bart Leetch.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Frank Pellow; 03-26-2004 at 7:11 AM.

Nice layout.....I like that version of the software...beats the one I used to have.

Frank, nice job on the layout. I'm not sure I like the idea of a wood stove next to the DC, however...I'd use that area for hand woodworking and the bench and move the DC elsewhere. IMHO, of course!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Frank, nice job on the layout. I'm not sure I like the idea of a wood stove next to the DC, however...I'd use that area for hand woodworking and the bench and move the DC elsewhere. IMHO, of course!
    Jim, there are not very many places that I can place the dust control. At the spot that I currently plan to place it, the ceiling will be about 10 feet tall whereas, along the back wall, it is only about 6.5 feet tall. I also want the chimney for the wood stove to be near the peek, so my options for the stove are similarly limited.

I will have both a wood stove and a natural gas space heater for keeping the place warm and I doubt that there will be many times when I have the wood stove and the dust control in operation at the same time. What sort of problems might arise if I do rum the dust control while there is a fire in the stove?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    What sort of problems might arise if I do rum the dust control while there is a fire in the stove?
    Frank, like many folks, I'm just very cautious about "potential" safety things. Wood stoves get really, really hot and any combustibles need to be some reasonable distance away from them. (I'm always stressing that with LOML with our own wood stove in the great room) Given that filtration is not perfect on any DC, even the most super-duper, expensive, "it slices, it dices" system will still emitt fine particles, especially in close proximity...I would just be sure to keep the two things as far apart as practical. I do understand your height issues...they are quite valid reasons for placing things where you intend them to be. If you use a cyclone, perhaps you can locate your cartridge filter(s) on the other side of the wall?

Again...it's just a natural caution on my part. If you are comfortable, go for it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim, you have given me something more to think about. I will mull it over for a while and see if I can come up with some way of increasing the separation. As you probably recall (in a discussion we had in a seperate thread) I believe that I will eventually enclose the entire dust collection unit in a closet (and, yes, it will be a cyclone).

I have to agree with Jim. Woodstoves are wonderful, but they get hotter than any other heat source. Heat attracts dust as well so it could become a hazard. You could leave the DC where it is, but get a wall in between them.

Wow Frank that looks great. I don't think you'll have any problems with the DC & stove. I don't know about Jim or Kelly but I grew up with a wood stove in the shop with no DC. If you keep the area free of dust (with the DC it will be much more free of dust) & don't let stuff clutter up around it & have non combustible material on the floor & walls. I think your idea of an enclosed cyclone is great.

Dad & I used to vacuum around & or blow the dust away from the stove area daily. it takes about 2 minutes. But check out what you insurance company says about it.

I do have one question though. How did you post your floor plan from out of the program & onto SMC?
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Frank,
    I would check with your insurance agent before getting to set on the idea of a wood stove. I was thinking of one in my shop and when I talked to my agent about it, having a wood stove more than doubled the premium. I have an average insulated shop, 3.5" fiberglass batts in the walls and 6" ceiling. For the little bit that it takes to heat a 30x30 building even in Wisconsin, I couldn't save enough on Lp to cover the added cost of the insurance. Not to mention the lost floor space due to having to keep a clear area around the wood stove.

Just something else to think about.

Dean

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch
    Wow Frank that looks great. ...
    I do have one question though. How did you post your floor plan from out of the program & onto SMC?
    Bart, here are the steps that I took in order to get the floor plan from the Shop Design program format to something I could post to the forum:

(1) Display the floor plan in the Shop Design program

(2) Press the Print Screen button on the keyboard

(3) Open the Microsoft Paint program (usually found under Accessories)

(4) In the Edit menu, select Paste

(5) Select only the part of the screen image that shows the layout, then create a new pallette for Paint and copy that selection to it

(6) In the File menu, select Save As

(7) Select JPG as the Save As Type

Now I had a JPG file which could be posted to the forum. Before I posted it, I actually used the paint program to draw some stuff that the Shop Design program does not handle. For instance, I put in skylights, I did a much better job in showing the windows, I changed the font of some text, and I placed my stove at a 45% angle.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Baumgartner
    Frank,
    I would check with your insurance agent before getting to set on the idea of a wood stove. I was thinking of one in my shop and when I talked to my agent about it, having a wood stove more than doubled the premium. I have an average insulated shop, 3.5" fiberglass batts in the walls and 6" ceiling. For the little bit that it takes to heat a 30x30 building even in Wisconsin, I couldn't save enough on Lp to cover the added cost of the insurance. Not to mention the lost floor space due to having to keep a clear area around the wood stove.

Just something else to think about.

Dean
    Dean, the stove is OK with both the building department and with my insurance company and it is not going to cost me any more in insurance. You are correct that the stove takes up more floor space and it costs more than a rational person could justify. But, when it comes to wood stoves, I am not rational. Both my Dad and Granddad had wood stoves in their workshops so, to me, it makes a shop feel more like a shop.

Thanks Frank
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    Dean, the stove is OK with both the building department and with my insurance company and it is not going to cost me any more in insurance. You are correct that the stove takes up more floor space and it costs more than a rational person could justify. But, when it comes to wood stoves, I am not rational. Both my Dad and Granddad had wood stoves in their workshops so, to me, it makes a shop feel more like a shop.
    Frank, I totally agree about the feel of a wood stove in the shop. I'd love to have one but between the loss of space and added costs I just couldn't justify it. I know this is one of those things that isn't about justification.

Dean

Better separation between wood stove and dust collector

Yesterday people got me thinking about the proximity of my wood stove and dust collector.

I have changed the layout yet again to make this separation a little better. I will attach a picture of the modified layout. There are two changes:

(1) I managed to sneek in an extra foot of length into the wing that has the dust collector and stove (bringing the interior space of the shop up to 431 square feet).

(2) I moved the interior wall so that is now between the stove and dust collector a angled the end a bit.

I am happy with this solution and, as far as I am concerned, this puts the issue to rest.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Frank Pellow; 04-18-2004 at 10:11 AM.