Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Makeup brushes - with flair

Makeup brushes - with flair

A couple of years ago, I commissioned a boat-load of 0.75” to 1.50” round dichroic glass cabochons from a well-known glass artist. And I've been sitting on this stash ever since...just couldn't rationalize using these expensive pieces of glass on a bottle stopper or some other small spindle. Finally, something has come along that may justify the investment. I'm thinking that there is a market for high-end makeup brushes for the ladies - here’s my first use of di-glass with wood handles on a brush...Amboyna burl and Osage Orange. What do you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Best,
    Ed D.

Blog Entries
    Hi Ed,
    Thanks again for the Scorpion.

Those brushes look fantastic.
    Remember, you are NOT your post count.
    American & Proud
    ~Powermatic 3520B~
    "The GOLDStandard since 1921"
    Graphtec CE5000-60, FlexiSIGN PRO 8.6v2, Refine MH871,
    Photoshop CS5 Extended, Illustrator CS5, CorelDRAW X4, Wacom Intuos3 6x11, Wacom Cintiq, Dual 24" LCD's on MoView Stand, GraphixCALC Pro 2.0.4, QuickBooks 2010, Grain Fraim.

Ed those are real beauties. I think you might be right about the market.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Hi Ed: Interesting product idea. I think you've got a shot at an innovative market segment.

So, I would consider what the best selling brush on the market looks like and how is feels in the hands of the user. Your handles look a little stubby and masculine to me in the photos. Seems ladies brushes would be more slender, longer and elegant.

Also, how long should the brush portion be to effectively apply the product. I have no idea, but it is a factor to the user.

So, great idea, press on with vigor and Go for it!

Best regards, Tom
    Chapel Hills Turning Studio
    Douglasville, GA

Hoosier by birth, Georgian by choice!

Have blanks, will trade.

Very nice Ed
    I have been making shaving brushes for some years now. I have made a few makeup brushes from premium badger hair and they go over very well. Better than the shaving brushes...just not enough time to make them.
    A small stand to hang the brush on would really show off the glass..

They're lovely, I like them a lot!

Regarding what Tom thought about the handle length...

I'm nearsighted and I need to lean pretty close to the mirror to see what I'm doing. (I apply my makeup prior to putting on my contacts.) The shorter handles would fit better between my face and the mirror. Even women with normal vision tend to get close to the mirror. So maybe the shape will work out OK. Plus, I think the eye candy quality of the dichros (pics never capture the beauty of this glass) will prove to be the big selling point. I was trying to get a mental image of how you could add the glass on a more long and slender handle and I just can't picture a good design. This could have something to do with the time of day though. :-)
    Donna

7. man's shaving brush

They are well crafted, fer sure...very appealing...but my eye says man's shaving brush...why not??? Could be both??? Each person who views your work will see different things...put them out and let buyer decide the use they want it for...

Quote Originally Posted by jack richington View Post
    They are well crafted, fer sure...very appealing...but my eye says man's shaving brush...why not??? Could be both??? Each person who views your work will see different things...put them out and let buyer decide the use they want it for...
    Jack,

The difference between a shaving brush and the makeup brushes is that the shaving brushes are made using boars hair while the makeup brushes are made using sable. Boars hair is too stiff to use for makeup and sable is too soft to apply shaving soap with.

Ed - that's some beautiful work! I hope they sell very well for you!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Nice brishes!

As a man, I don't think I'll ever be able to figure out the mind of a woman. I'm about to post some pens, a couple of whidh I hope are appetizing to women. Guessing what will appeal to them will always be a crapshoot, and thank God for that.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by David Walser View Post
    Jack,

The difference between a shaving brush and the makeup brushes is that the shaving brushes are made using boars hair while the makeup brushes are made using sable. Boars hair is too stiff to use for makeup and sable is too soft to apply shaving soap with.
    THANKS< I'M AN IDIOT

Thanks for all the feedback. The two pictured above are synthetic, intended for those who might object to natural animal hair use...probably not too good for a shaving brush as they are extremely soft. Here's some photos of sable hair makeup brushes I've made (don't use them myself) recently...poly resin and pistachio.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Best,
    Ed D.

I can say they're really nice even though I don't think I'll be applying makeup anytime soon! Good luck with those.

Ed your work has always impressed me, and it has been an inspiration to many of us. This is another great idea, thanks for sharing it with us.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

Get those into the hands of some uppity-Hollywood type and you won't be able to keep them on the shelves or charge enough money for them!!

Do you sign them in some guise? Beautiful work...nice touch with the glass.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.