Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Darn Fried Chicken!!!

Angry Darn Fried Chicken!!!

I have to admit to a severe fried chicken addiction. I limit myself to one fried something or other per week - usually fries cause I'm a pretty bad fry addict as well. This Fryday I decided I needed some good ol' KFC to really put a block in the ol' arteries. So, I brave the rain and head down to street to the KFC at I 95.

I get's me some chicken to go and pull out of the parking lot onto the road. This road dead ends just past KFC at an RV dealership. In front of me, waiting for the traffic light to turn green, is a pull behind Bigfoot camper, brand spankin' new, no license plate. For some unfathomable reason the driver of the truck pulling this camper decides he wants to back up. I think he decided he wanted to get in the left turn lane. Anyway, he starts backing up. I start backing up and blowing the horn . . . but there is a car behind me and I can only go so far. That doesn't stop Mr. New Camper Owner, he just keeps backing up, hits my car, and crunches it's poor little front end! I'm still blowing the horn, the light changes, and the driver just drives away.

Here's the part that really gets me . . . my little car is paid for, has been since the day I bought it in 1997. I can't really afford another car right now, and didn't need one until today! It's a 97 Nissan Maxima with 150,000 miles on it. The insurance company probably won't even consider it worth repairing, and it isn't worth more than about $1500 on a good day with a spit polish.

On the bright side, I wasn't hurt, and the fear of being crushed by a camper made my heart race, thereby pumping blood forcefully through my arteries, making more room for the fat I just consumed.

Y'all be careful out there!

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Belinda, been there, done that. Vehicles like that are always worth more than their dollar value. Just rotten luck but you aren't the only one! Happy Fryday, regardless!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Man thats a bummer, I believe I'd of had to chase him down.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Duke View Post
    Man thats a bummer, I believe I'd of had to chase him down.
    I thought about it, but wasn't sure what condition my radiator was in and he was headed for I-95.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    Bella Terra

You should have thrown the chicken at him and purposely missed him.....He'd have seen it .......stopped and got out to pick it up . Then you could have tackled him!

Glad you weren't hurt Belinda. It makes me say bad things when drivers are involved in accidents and pull away like that. Some folks don't deserve the privilege of driving an automobile. I've had similar things happen and it's a economic pain!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Ouch, tough break, Belinda. You should probably say something at that RV dealership--they may know who was just driving away with a new camper at that time, or, they may have someone coming back with some strange damage on the rear of their new trailer...
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Worst part is the jerk will probably get the dealership to repair HIS vehicle under warranty! Make a police report, and make sure the RV dealer knows what happened, if he brings it back there, maybe the dealer will call the police, who can match the paint and ask some pointed questions. The dealer may cooperate as they dont want to eat the warranty cost.
    At least no one was hurt. Hope the rest of your weekend is uneventful and happier!
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    Ouch, tough break, Belinda. You should probably say something at that RV dealership--they may know who was just driving away with a new camper at that time, or, they may have someone coming back with some strange damage on the rear of their new trailer...
    Quote Originally Posted by mike holden View Post
    Worst part is the jerk will probably get the dealership to repair HIS vehicle under warranty! Make a police report, and make sure the RV dealer knows what happened, if he brings it back there, maybe the dealer will call the police, who can match the paint and ask some pointed questions. The dealer may cooperate as they dont want to eat the warranty cost.
    At least no one was hurt. Hope the rest of your weekend is uneventful and happier!
    Mike
    I ask the police officer if he would stop by the RV dealership and speak with them. His reponse was that he would leave that up to the detective that investigates the accident. I stopped by the dealership but they wouldn't tell me anything, I guess it's a case of confidentiality of some sort. I did ask them to take down my info in case the driver returned. I honestly don't think the driver even knew he backed into me. The 911 dispatcher was going to put out an alert, or whatever you call it, to officers in the area but once on 95 North it's only about ten minutes to the state line.

Thanks all for your kind responses.

Bella Terra

Sorry to hear this. With car insurance on an old car or a really new one (no equity) you never get enough to replace it. Your payoff may not even be enough for the insurance company to get involved in an investigation.

Did the RV not have a paper temporary plate on it? Here they have to before going on the road. I guess it was probably a difficult situation for you to look for such a thing anyway, with something like that happening so fast. Hopefully the driver is honest and ends up reporting it, but then it may not have damaged his rear noticeably.

Good luck.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

10. Quote Originally Posted by mike holden View Post
    Mike
    Ditto...........

Sorry to hear about your incident. I would have defiantly ran him down- I dont know about your state but in MO everyone carries heat concealed!!!! Glad to hear your ok.

That really bites. I do hope the bugger is caught, but am doubtfull unfortunately...

'Tis one of the reasons I have 911 on a voice dial for my wireless phone...I'm dialing before the steam even starts rising...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Belinda

Ouch!!

If you had been driving a pickup truck, you could reach back for your "lever-action" that would have been in your "Easy Rider Rifle Rack".

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Woessner View Post
    Sorry to hear about your incident. I would have defiantly ran him down- I dont know about your state but in MO everyone carries heat concealed!!!! Glad to hear your ok.
    LOL . . .
    My BIL called last night, and when I told him about the accident he said, "I can't believe you didnt get three or four rounds in that thing before he got it out of reverse!" Funny thing about Savannah, no matter what you carry, the other person probably has something bigger - and more deadly!

Bella Terra

Blog Entries
    Since you think this was new camper and the camper dealer was just down the road, stop by and describe the camper and the time to the dealership Tell them what happened and I'll bet they can figure out who picked up a camper on that day. You should also report this to the cops as this is a hit and run and they take those pretty seriously in most locations.

I've towed a few trailers in my day and you can always tell when you hit or run over something, so most likely he knew he hit you.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute