Thread: Homemade exterior wood sealant

Homemade exterior wood sealant

Does anyone know of any good back woods recipes for homemade wood sealant. i have heard old timers using diesel fuel and beeswax, linseed oil cut with mineral spirits, etc...i'd rather not use petro at all and want to keep it clean. my goal is something cheap that i can brew up myself. i am building a cabin and am making my own door, windows and frames from lumber cut off my property with an alaskan chainsaw mill. the stock will be planed and joined so it won't be in the rough completely. little to no sanding. i leaning towards all black locust for windows, frames, sills and threshholds and black walnut for exterior doors. all will be protected by huge roof overhangs so direct rain/snow will be rare to never.

suggestions or recommendations for or against store bought sealants would also be apprectiated. urethanes, varnish, polyimer finishes...what have u had success with on exterior projects? brands u like or hate? paint is not an option...i gotta see that grain! thanks in advance.-nick in va

Here is a recipe for a waterproofing formula, but the formulators don't really recommend it because it lacks a fungicide.

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/finlines/willi02a.pdf

great article

thanks for that article. very informative. what do folks think is the best store bought preservative/weatherproofing?

A Coon-Ass Solution

Here in Cajun country the traditional solution is Net Dip. This is a material fishermen use to preserve their nets from rot. It is also used on wood. I'll research it further for you if you give me a PM.
    18th century nut --- Carl

net dip

carl, couldn't figure out how to PM you. any info u have on the stuff would be great. thanks! -nick

Net Dip

Nick, I called Hebert's Marine in Houma LA and they have net dip in black or green for $15.95/ gallon. I'd suggest you call therm at (985) 851 - 2095 if you want more information.

About 20 years ago some friends and I set out to restore an old oyster boat. We used net dip in several places to protect wood. I can't really say whether it did a good job or not. The boat was sold to people who abused it so badly it deteriorated for other reasons. But that is too sad a story to go into.
    18th century nut --- Carl