Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Who will the next "Norm" be?

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    What Kevin says is right, but don't ignore the Russell Morash component. I think it's sort of like Bill Walsh & Joe Montana or Tom Brady & Bill Belichick. Would either have been as good without the other?

Curt
    You don't mean to imply that Norm is somehow secreting filming other woodworkers to get the advantage are you..............?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Pealer View Post

Well John Marks just came on, so there may be an option.
    I thought his name was David ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Godshall View Post
    You don't mean to imply that Norm is somehow secreting filming other woodworkers to get the advantage are you..............?

No, but a skilled producer/director could almost make ME look good.

Steve Thomas is also a very competant deep water sailer. He wrote a book about his time with the natives in micronesia learning how they navigated without modern technology. It's called "The Last Navigator"

From the Library Journal review:

"Thomas, an experienced deep-water sailor, had long been fascinated by Micronesian navigators who, without maps, compasses, or sextants, sailed hundreds of miles between the islands of Oceania. To discover how these men traveled with only natural signs for guidance, he apprenticed himself to one of the few remaining navigators and lived with him on Satawal for many months."
    Tage Frid: The easiest thing in the world is to make mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    What Kevin says is right, but don't ignore the Russell Morash component. I think it's sort of like Bill Walsh & Joe Montana or Tom Brady & Bill Belichick. Would either have been as good without the other?

Curt
    Go Pats Couldn't resist.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Keedwell View Post
    Go Pats Couldn't resist.

Weren't they the team that almost had a good year , when was that , 1985

I wonder if Norm is also still in mourning?

This is a great topic, thanks Jason.

Ralph Cramdon

Whom ever the next person is, I'd like to see some of the mistakes and at least the illusion of profanity. All that perfect dry assembly simply can't be. New Yankee Bloopers and Kickbacks, dropped tools, spilled varnish.

Vic

I always liked Steve Thomas. I thought he came acros as knowledgeable but sedate. So many hosts on tv now act like they're on speed.

I find it interesting that Bob Vila was fired due to his work for Sears and yet you can now find the TOH name on a host of things as well.

As to Kevin, it seems his role is to play the wide eyed youngster in awe of everything. He comes across in a far less favorable light than Steve did. One one episode of TOH, Kevin was asking a stone mason where he was from. When the mason replied Wisconsin, Kevin hyperventilated while exclaiming "Wisconsin, tell me about the cheese!". The mason replied in an annoyed tone "I grew up in a stone quarry, I don't know anything about cheese."

I think Kevin knows more than he lets on, but showing a lot of knowledge wouldn't give the other guys their lead ins to explain what/why they are doing things.

James

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James Ayars View Post

...Kevin was asking a stone mason where he was from. When the mason replied Wisconsin, Kevin hyperventilated while exclaiming "Wisconsin, tell me about the cheese!". The mason replied in an annoyed tone "I grew up in a stone quarry, I don't know anything about cheese."...
    This may sound strange but I thought that moment was one of the most unintentionally funny things I've ever seen on TV. Also I didn't think the guy from Wisconsin was annoyed, I thought he was just very "mater of fact" (sort of Joe Friday from Dragnet).

I like Kevin, I think he's supposed to ask the questions that a lot of people at home would ask. Steve was alright, and for reasons I can't articulate Bob always annoyed me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    Probably because HE IS trying to beat the clock. When you see him on a showit's simply a byproduct of the fact that the construction company he runs is the GC on the project going. He has real $$$, time, and personality constraints to manage just like every other GC on a remodel. Oh - by the way there will be 2 cameras, a few lights, a gaffer, a producer a some xtra cables around your sight today, nothing major , and I promise nothing will get in your way.
    Nothing against Tom, He's very skilled and I really like how he takes a lot of pride in what he does. I've dome more home repair then actual woodworking at this point, and I think I've learn a lot more from Ask This Old House the NYWS. I didn't mean to sound like I was criticizing Tom. I think part of the appeal of Norm is that hes so calm about everything (even on TOH which has the same production issues Tom is dealing with). Tom just strikes me as more of a general leading an army I it just seems like he would be more interested in working on big projects.