Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Who will the next "Norm" be?

Todd Bridges?

I noticed a few things about Steve Thomas so I goggled him . He did infact work as a carpenter on a ship back in 1977 and has done some DIY home remodeling on hoises he flipped , before "flipping" was a term I'd guess. I don't think he's a carpenter that could replace Norm , nor do I think he'd present himself as one. But maybe he would , he sure "acted down" on TOH if that is the case , at least IMO.

He has lead a interesting life, I wonder if he's from family money? It that either diverse / odd.

Link to his website and a Wikie bio.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0859542/bio

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Thomas_(television)

Blog Entries
    How's Gary giong to reach the table saw?
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Who's Gail O'Rourke?

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Spagnuolo View Post
    Well then that brings up another very good question: Who's going to be the next Gary Coleman?????
    Well...if you know, Marc...you can, um...whisper...it to us...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wyko View Post
    How's Gary giong to reach the table saw?
    I figure he would have to build a step stool, just to show us that he has some kind of talent, but he would have to use handheld power tools to cut the parts to size. After that, I guess the skies the limit. Well, maybe not, since he is vertically impaired.

Regards, Colin
    Where's the beef.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Kilroy View Post
    As much as I like Tommy he doesn't have the same demeanor. Tommy always seems like he's trying to beat the clock.
    Probably because HE IS trying to beat the clock. When you see him on a showit's simply a byproduct of the fact that the construction company he runs is the GC on the project going. He has real $$$, time, and personality constraints to manage just like every other GC on a remodel. Oh - by the way there will be 2 cameras, a few lights, a gaffer, a producer a some xtra cables around your sight today, nothing major , and I promise nothing will get in your way.

When you see Norm , you've got an edited version of a 2 day shoot that was shot after a prototype was done and the bugs worked out. On Tom's takes, there is just not time to set up a shot and take it 5 times if it doesn't look quite right or he nutted up. The particular job being shot has to be finished (that day) or the, owner, bankers, producers, WGBH all have a meltdown. There is just not time to work it out. The shot has to be used or scrapped and something else shot.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 02-22-2008 at 6:50 AM. Reason: Fixed Quote Tagging

Quote Originally Posted by John A. Williams View Post
    Who's Gail O'Rourke?
    She has a website "Hometown Woodworking".

The most amazing thing about the show "New Yankee Workshop" is because it's Norm. As a wood worker, I appreciate his ethic, his abilities, his knowledge. A non woodworker easily sees his practicality, his down to earth personality, and his teaching method. These people are very hard, if not impossible to replace. I truly pity anyone who tries to be the "next Norm".

PS. It won't be me........I don't own near enough clamps.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Girouard View Post
    He has lead a interesting life, I wonder if he's from family money? It that either diverse / odd.
    Wow! Sailing a 43 foot wooden sloop from England to San Francisco is one mean feat! And that was long before the days of GPS. I guess that Zen Master of Celestial Navigation really knew what he was doing and was able to pass it down to Steve Thomas.

It seems very likely he had access to some major financial support. I was dirt poor as a young man. I had to join the Navy to go to sea!

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post

It seems very likely he had access to some major financial support. I was dirt poor as a young man. I had to join the Navy to go to sea!
    That's what I was thinking . On the going to sea bit as well "Roger that!" I wonder IF I looked at writing a bio if I just include my sea miles I'm sure with 1 WESPAC , 1 OI , 1 Med , , 1 NORALT , 1 Trinidad / Tobago cruise I could surpass his nautical miles. But then I was just along for the ride , maybe he was as well and it's just a "fluffed up" bio??

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Godshall View Post
    The most amazing thing about the show "New Yankee Workshop" is because it's Norm. As a wood worker, I appreciate his ethic, his abilities, his knowledge. A non woodworker easily sees his practicality, his down to earth personality, and his teaching method. These people are very hard, if not impossible to replace. I truly pity anyone who tries to be the "next Norm".

PS. It won't be me........I don't own near enough clamps.
    What Kevin says is right, but don't ignore the Russell Morash component. I think it's sort of like Bill Walsh & Joe Montana or Tom Brady & Bill Belichick. Would either have been as good without the other?

Curt

Maybe that guy who plays "Mini Me" in the Austin Powers movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Spagnuolo View Post
    Well then that brings up another very good question: Who's going to be the next Gary Coleman?????

Right height.......too pale......

Well John Marks just came on, so there may be an option.