Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who will the next "Norm" be?

Who will the next "Norm" be?

TV shows come and go, but Norm is arguably the undisputed "king" when it comes to woodworkers on television who have had the greatest impact on people like us. But he can't last forever.

So, who do you think the next Norm will be?

JW

good question, and not one I'd bet anyone will get.

There have been many attempts by many networks over the last 10 years. Some faces are recognizable for sure, but it will be some time before anyone is considered to have the staying power of Norm.

mike

There is and only will be one "Nahm"!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    There is and only will be one "Nahm"!
    "Cheers" to that.

Oh wait, that's the wrong tv show.

Yep, grew up wathing that genius, love that guy, I hope he is as nice in person as on tv. Anyway, my vote would be Marc Spag. I already think he is the internet Norm, and what I like is he is young like me, and makes woodworking cool and funny, plus the guy has taught me a bunch from his videos...I just hope he stays as friendly when he hits the big time lol.

Jason

The difference is, most shows are now based on speed, shortcuts, and cheap. .... that leaves most craftsmen out.

That mimicks our society, so unfortunately, I would doubt you would see a plethora of craftsmen on TV.

Its a shame the 'networks' dont spend at least SOME of their efforts on tradecraft vs cheap and easy.

Rooms are not meant to be renovated in 48 hrs.

I predict that HD, Lowes, or maybe Ace Hardware will sponsor a Woodworking with the Stars show where every nobody celeb trying to revive their career will grab a Skil-saw and butcher up some lumber. And some rude Enlgish dude will slam them on their technique. Hmm - Wonder how Brittany Spears would look in flannel....??
    Use the fence Luke

IMHO, UNTIL someone is on Broadcast tv, No one will have the impact Norm did. You don't have to have satelite, or high faluting cable to see his show, and I know those that would rather spend money on tools or wood, then tv.

That said, I heard that they are already planning on who will replace him, so I figure that is one possibility.

Once Norm hangs up his toolbelt we'll be seeing him in reruns for a few more years. There will probably be a few new shows that pop up in an attempt to ascend the throne but they won't last. Then...nothing. My guess is that we will be hard pressed to find any woodworking oriented show on tv. NYW is a one in a million thing. How many shows last for 20 years with the same 'cast' and format? Norm is NYW and NYW is Norm.

I think they will bring someone into the shop to apprentice with Norm for a couple of years and then "spin off" the "The Apprentice NYW"!

Tommy may be the next Norm. He's got the same type of appeal. Not sure how his furniture making skills stack up.

Just a thought. Keeps it in the "Old House" family.

MB

Its going to be me. Norm just has to keep going for another 20 or 30 years till I'm ready.

I think WGBH has alot to do with it. They are a power house for PBS. I am not too sure cable networks believe there is a wide enough audience for specifically woodworking. Now 30 shows on how to paint a room. Millions want to paint right? Most of the woodworkig shows I have seen have all been PBS based. It would be up to them to keep it going I am betting.

Ben, I agree that WGBH has been and important force in this, but the real credit goes to Russ Morash who has held the standard high for quality DIY and craftsmanship programing on PBS and beyond. Without Russ, we certainly wouldn't have Norm, nor TOH. (and Victory Garden, etc.)

It's really hard to say who or even IF there will be a "next Norm"...it's a tough market in so many ways and the majority of viewer tastes may not create the right conditions for a "next Norm", even if there is someone worthy.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

There are many possible choices for when the Master Carpenter retires. I could see many of the various magazine editors out there, such as Chris Schwartz, that might have enough of a following to be able to step into the Toolbelt. Beyond that, who knows? Maybe someone that Norm picks himself?

Doc