Thread: Forstner & Brad Point Bit Set Where To Get.

Forstner & Brad Point Bit Set Where To Get.

Every time I need a Forstner bit I don't have the right size so I want ot got a big set. I looked at the peachtree set but they are china made and looked a little ruff the harbor freight set doesn't look bad but it is not big enought.

Where is a good place to get a set without spending a arm and a leg. If they are med quality that is ok I just don't want crap, I am a hobbiest and if I ware one out I can alwas replace it with a good bit.

I als need a big brad point set any idears there?
    -=Jason=-

Morris Wood Tool

www.morriswoodtool.com

They'll have the quality.

I have a 16 piece set from Woodcraft that works just fine for me. It was a gift, but not terribly expensive, and I get good holes with it.

Doc

Morris wood is to expensive. I really want to get ser with everything up to 2.5"
    -=Jason=-

Rockler has a 22 pc set for 1/2 price...$49...right now. Can't say how good they are though.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

I think my set goes from 1/4" to 2 1/8" in 1/8" increments. It's the Hickory brand set and may have come from Peachtree. I got it at the Woodworking show 4 years ago. It was cheap, 35-40 bucks as I recall. It has worked very well for me. Seems I saw Rockler or Woodcraft with their set on sale for 1/2 off. Not where I can look at their emails at the moment. Maybe someone else will remember it and chime in. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Well, I just looked on-line. It's Rockler. 22 piece, 1/4 to 2 1/8, 1/8 increments just like my Hickory set. Sale price of 49.99. See this link: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?O...Select=Details
    They have a 16 piece set also on the related items links. Hope this helps! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

The Rockler set appears to be carbon steel, as opposed to High Speed Steel.

Larger bits, in good quality steel with accurate grinding are going to be in the $20 range each.

A standard 1/2" jobbers length twist drill is in the $10 range.

When you see a large set of bits in the $200 to $300 dollar range, you're purchasing a good item.

When you see them at $100, you are purchasing a low quality bit, that won't stand up to use in hardwoods.

The bit is where the cutting action happens, no point spending good money on a drill press, and then purchasing poor tooling.

I suggest that you purchase a high quality set, in the smaller sizes up to perhaps an inch in diameter, and then purchase the larger bits as required.

After 30 some years woodworking, I only own 3 bits larger than 1 inch, which were purchased for clocks and instruments as required.

Regards, Rod.
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 02-19-2008 at 1:37 PM. Reason: grammer

I have the Rockler set and am happy with it up to about 3/4 of an inch. Above that they are really bad and don't want to cut anything but really soft wood.

I tried to use the 1 3/4 inch bit to cut a hole in some white oak, after awhile I gave up and got a hole saw and it cut it fine.

I know its a pain but I think Rod had the right idea, get good bits when you need them and don't get a full set. I think I will be starting to build a good set over the next few years as I need them.

Decided on the grizley set. They have a 31 pice set for $55 got good reviews on Amazon. Besides these cheep china sets are all the same most likely. Thanks for the input just wanted to make sure I wasn't making a big mistake going to cheap.
    -=Jason=-

forstner bits

FWW (mar/apr 08) just did a review of forstner bits comparing 7 steel and 2 carbide versions. Grizzly came out fairly good.

I have used several of the forstner bits from the set I bought at harbor freight and its one of the things I won't be bringing back. One in particular I have used
    for about 20 holes and the cut is still good and does not require much down force.

FWW just did a review on forstners,

and FAMAG, sold by Woodcraft, came out on top, followed by Grizzly for the best value.

I got a set of the brad points sold by Lee Valley (the top of the line bits) and they are fabulous. I just wouldn't bother with cheap ones, and in pursuit of said policy, I gave away my previous set.

Bruce