Thread: Grizzly G0490/Shop Fox W1741 8" Jointer

Grizzly G0490/Shop Fox W1741 8" Jointer

Hello all,

I am in the market for a bigger Jointer (8"). I think I have it narrowed down to the Grizzly G0490 or the Shop Fox W1741. They seem to be the identical machine with the exception of color. Price is also about the same after shipping. However it seems that the Shop Fox has a two year warranty and Grizzly according to the PDF manual only one year. Does anyone have experience with Shop Fox and warranty. I know Grizzly will make things rite within the year. How about Shop Fox? Will they do same for two years? Also If anyone knows of any other differences in these machines will you please share with the rest of us.

Thank you,
    James

Shop Fox is Grizzles wholesale division. so they should be safe. SF sells to other retailers and their equipment is very similar to Grizzles.
    Scott

I love my SF1741. And have had no need for customer support/service in the first year. I highly recommend this jointer!

Hi James,

They are the same machine, so I don't think you can go wrong with either. I've had my Shop Fox W1741 for about 1 year now. I'm very happy with it. With the 4 knives it leaves nice smooth surfaces.

I can't speak to the Shop Fox warranty, since I haven't had any problems so far.

Thank you for your comments. It is very nice that two of you own the SF and are happy. Does anyone know of a retailer in CT, Mass or RI areas? Shop fox is closed for the weekend and I was just curious.

James

Shop fox

Quote Originally Posted by James White View Post
    Hello all,

I am in the market for a bigger Jointer (8"). I think I have it narrowed down to the Grizzly G0490 or the Shop Fox W1741. They seem to be the identical machine with the exception of color. Price is also about the same after shipping. However it seems that the Shop Fox has a two year warranty and Grizzly according to the PDF manual only one year. Does anyone have experience with Shop Fox and warranty. I know Grizzly will make things rite within the year. How about Shop Fox? Will they do same for two years? Also If anyone knows of any other differences in these machines will you please share with the rest of us.

Thank you,
    James
    I hav ethe 8" grizzly jointer and its a beast and worth every penny
    I have a shop fox moulder and there service with a broken casting was excellent my call went right to tech support and the guy knew exactly what I was talking about and shipped a new part. I was happy with both purchases

I have the SF 1741 jointer. Works fine and I have had no warranty issues so far as well.
    One good turn deserves another

Had the 1741 for over a year and love it. Great jointer for the money! I know the price has gone up some since I got mine, but still a great value. If you search the forums you will find info on the 1741. Only issue that I see repeatedly is the "belt slap" upon start up and shut down. Kind of a shutter vibration thing. Fine tuning motor alignment usually solves this, if not then link belt certainly will.

Go to the Shop-fox web-site James. I believe Shopfox is listed under Woodstock International which is owned by the same gentleman that owns Griz. Others were right that the two jointers are indenical with Shopfox being sold by a local distributor.

On the web-site.. there should be a dealer locator by inserting your zip code.

Good luck...

Sarge..

Quote Originally Posted by John Thompson View Post
    Go to the Shop-fox web-site James. I believe Shopfox is listed under Woodstock International which is owned by the same gentleman that owns Griz. Others were right that the two jointers are indenical with Shopfox being sold by a local distributor.

On the web-site.. there should be a dealer locator by inserting your zip code.

Good luck...

Sarge..
    John,

Unfortunately they do not have one of those dealer locator's. You must call for a dealer in your area. Monday morning will be hear soon enough. I was just hoping for a recommended dealer from a list member.

James

James

Quote Originally Posted by James White View Post
    John,

Unfortunately they do not have one of those dealer locator's. You must call for a dealer in your area. Monday morning will be hear soon enough. I was just hoping for a recommended dealer from a list member.

James

James

James,

I don't know how far you are from Yorktown, NY, but that is where I purchased mine - a place called Tool Nut (www.toolnut.com). They have a price match policy. I highly recommend them if you're within reasonable distance.

Quote Originally Posted by John Buzzurro View Post
    James,

I don't know how far you are from Yorktown, NY, but that is where I purchased mine - a place called Tool Nut (www.toolnut.com). They have a price match policy. I highly recommend them if you're within reasonable distance.
    Thank you John,

I'll give them a call.

James