Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worksharp 3000 $160

Worksharp 3000 $160

Amazon has dropped the price of the worksharp 3000 to $160 with free shipping if anyone has been holding out for a sale price this might fit the bill Dave

That might just push me over the edge (pun unintentional).

I've been looking at these for a while now - The Veritas MK II is now over $400 (ouch), so the Worksharp is the front runner. But I'm having a hard time justifying the $100 premium for 3000 .vs. 2000. The 2000 runs at a higher (less safe, more likely to burn the tools) speed and only has the plastic (less flat than glass) disks. Still, for 100 bucks, it MIGHT do everything I would need.

For 60 bucks, I can probably make the justification to go for the 3000. SWMBO might just sign off on it. Then again - do I really have to tell her?

In these situations, I usually end up thinking of this quote:

"If I dood it, I get in twouble... I dood it!" - Tweety Bird

Blog Entries
    I've got so much invested in stones, jigs, grinders, diamond surfaces, etc. that spending another $160 would seem silly, but it really looks so easy and I LOVE new tools.

I think I'm going to pass this time, but that is a great deal.

Thanks for posting.

why worksharp?

How would the worksharp 3000 compare to a Tormek (or comparable Jet) system? Does one have advantages over the other, besides price? I haven't seen the Worksharp system, but have been looking at the Tormek style.

Thanks for your input!

Good review, not comparison though.

http://woodworkerszone.com/index.php...p2_articleid=3

Assuming that I decide to not pass this up, what accesories do I want to get with it?
    Use the fence Luke

worksharp

thanks for the heads up.been looking but couldnt pull the trigger.great price hope it goes through.thanks again.

Worksharp 3000

Just got one yesterday from Hartville - 169.00 with free shipping. Sharpened 8 chisels (which were in pretty bad shape) to a mirror finish in less than an hour. I think this tool makes a lot of sense for people who take no pleasure in hand sharpening - it makes what is often drudgery and sometimes difficult (not to mention confusing with all the different systems out there) into a simple, repeatable process. Well worth the investment - all my hand tools will be sharp from now on - no excuses.

Jeff Fondaw
    Jeff Fondaw

Thanks for the heads up Dave. Been waiting for a good buy on this and just pulled the trigger as I can't sharpen anything decently. Combine that with the little time I have in the shop and hopefully this will be an answer for me. Think I'll use it for chisels and some lathe tools. Hand planes will still be the old way.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Shepard View Post
    Assuming that I decide to not pass this up, what accesories do I want to get with it?
    I bought one today. I got an extra glass wheel, a coarse grit kit and a fine grit kit. If you do lathe tool sharpening you want to look at an additional slotted wheel(s) and more slotted paper. Posts I read say having three wheels is best, so you can mount 6 grits and not change it until it wears out.

Another recommendation is a foot switch. I got one from MLCS through Amazon.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

Been looking at this for a while too. $160 makes it work for me. I bought the accessories at HartvilleTool. They have a 15% off it you mention another forums name (WN) in the shipping instructions box and free shipping on orders over $75 (after discount applied). I have chisels and lathe tools so I purchased (based on suggestions from several other owners): one additional glass wheel, two additional slotted, and two slotted abrasive kits (figured I can buy the 6" PSA disks elsewhere).

Thanks for the heads up,

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Goetzke; 02-16-2008 at 12:20 AM.

Like some of you guys I have been waiting for a sale on the worksharp. I also ordered an extra glass wheel to put a 80/100 grit wheel together mainly because I can't seem to control myself with my good chisels I always seem to damage them I have looked at the wet systems and didn't want the mess but more of a concern was my shop freezes (like now in Iowa) and I was worried about the wet stones being damaged. I think every review I have read about the Worksharp has been positive with a few pointing out limitaions. I hope we are all satisfied with them. Dave

Thanks for the heads up on the price difference! I just ordered this on Wednesday at the $199 price, so I sent an email asking about getting a refund. Based on the last time this happened, I should be seeing about $40 coming back to me.

Again, thanks!

Well 160 bucks was enough of a deal to get me to pull the plug

Thanks folks. The timing could have been better since I just got a LV order yesterday for a few spendy items. I've been eyeballing one of these for a while now and couldn't let it go at that price. I tend to delay sharpening until I've got a bunch to do. Anything that can turn a chore that takes most of a morning into an hour is worth the money. Ended up throwing 2 extra wheels, fine/coarse/honing/leather honing discs into the cart. I'm such a tool whore.
    Use the fence Luke