Thread: Another Bamboo Job

Another Bamboo Job

This one I did as a gift for a friend who, like me, does bonsai. This is from a picture of one of his trees. Darker bamboo veneer inlay on a 3/4" thick bamboo block. Notice the nice end grain on the left edge.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Joe did you cut it with the laser? I'm assuming from the tight fit that you must have in which case I'd like to know what effects you had from charring. They look really very nice by the way.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Of course I used the laser!

I did put transfer tape on it, but there was absolutely no charring. I think bamboo works better than wood because of the lack of oils in it. The only problem I have had with it is when engraving out 1/8" bamboo it tends to
    warp (high in the middle). With 1/4" and 3/4" it does not.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

Well it certainly looksthe part. Nice job!
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

I have never tried to do an inlay before, so forgive my ignorance, but do you vector cut the outline on the main piece piece, then use a chisel to cut out the inside? Or is there another technique like rastering it out?

-Robert

I have only done it once It was a simple dsign I raster the oak and vector the walnut. That tree that Joe did might take a little more care.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Epilog mini 24 with 45 watts
    X3
    More wood working tools then I deserve

Quote Originally Posted by Thad Nickoley View Post
    I have only done it once It was a simple dsign I raster the oak and vector the walnut. That tree that Joe did might take a little more care.
    Very same way. I just had to run two passes on the engraving, to get deep enough for the 1/42 veneer which has a thin fabric backing. With the delicate detail one has to still be careful in handling the cut veneer, the fabric helps but it could still crack.

Sammamish, WA

Joe, where do you get your transfer tape. Anyplace local?
    Bill

There are 4 sign supplies in Seattle, where I can get it. Since I do vinyl sign work too I buy it for that and just use some for the laser as needed. It's sold by the roll in various sizes, most of the time I buy a 4' log and have it cut to the sizes I need.

Sammamish, WA

Nice

Nice job joe. Mind if I ask whre you get thr inlay bamboo that thin ? Jim
    Rabbit Laser HX3040
    Corel Draw X3, Photopaint
    Newly Draw (very basic)
    Photograv

There's a company not far from here that sells wholesale only to the trades, mainly home remodelers. I do awards for them on bamboo plaques that they supply, in fact 3 more are on the way to me now. In this area only one of their dealers sells the veneer and thin stuff, most stick to flooring and counter tops/cabinet boards. I have so far managed to talk them out of a lot of samples.

There are also places that sell it online:

http://www.franksupply.com/specialty_products.htm
    http://www.thenaturalabode.com/mm5/m...duct_Code=3487
    http://www.theveneerstore.com/p-237-...FRP7iAodNGfTzg

Sammamish, WA