Thread: Sandpaper Vendors

Sandpaper Vendors

I will be purchasing the Jet 16-32 Sander this weekend and know (obviously) that I will need a supply of sandpaper for it. So I am looking for some suppliers for both the precut strips and the cut-yourself rolls.

From the thread's I have read I know about Klingspor and www.woodworkingshop.com. Where else should I consider purchasing the paper and what other manufacturer's are good? What should I be looking for when buying paper for a drum sander?
    Last edited by Anthony Whitesell; 02-14-2008 at 9:49 AM.

I called Klingspor directly, they are the manufacturer of the paper for the JET/performax drum sanders. They also have Festool 8 hole paper and an endless variety of other great products. Best deal is the big rolls you cut your self, real easy to use the color coded system on the back of the paper.

I used to buy paper for my performax 22-44 from Amazon tool crib, but Klingspor seems to have the best prices. No need to look further. I use the web site to get item numbers then order by phone. Nice people there too. Have had paper "backordered" several times from amazon when the web page said "In stock for immediate delivery"

Oh, get a rubber gum sand paper cleaning stick or sheet, it extends the life of the paper greatly, man that paper isn't cheap. Klingspor has several different abrasive types listed, I have only used the red cloth backed stuff, seems to work well for raw hardwood.

Thanks for the tip, Peter.

www.industrialabrasives.com Just ordered a bunch of sandpaper for the shop. Included rolls for my Performax 16/32. Best to get rolls and cut yourself. Their prices are the lowest I found and that includes Klingspore.

Some times these links just do not work and seems this is one. The phone number is 1-800-428-2222
    Last edited by John Terefenko; 02-14-2008 at 10:50 AM.
    John T.

I was looking at the Klingspor wedsite (www.woodworkingshop.com) and I have a question for the drum sander users. What is the difference between the Performax Ready-to-cut rolls and the 3"x18m (or 50m) aluminum oxide bulks rolls?

www.supergrit.com

Best prices I've found and good quality stuff.

Mike

Anthony...the ready to cut rolls are basicaly 3X the paper for 3X the price...bigger box, same material. For instance an 18M role gives me 5 wraps, a ready to cut box same grit gives me 14. The 50M bulk roll is the best deal, 15 wraps for $75 versus 14wraps for $90 with the ready to cut.

The ready to cut rolls have different colored lines on an angle on the back of the paper that correspond to each particular jet or performax drum sander (ie 14", 16-32, 22-44 etc) This allows you to quickly and accurately size your next sheet without measuring or using the old piece as a templete. Wrestling those curly sheets of sandpaper to gauge your next piece isn't the most fun I've had but it is doable.

http://www.onlineindustrialsupply.com/index.html

Good product, good price, fast reasonable shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by M Toupin View Post
    www.supergrit.com

Best prices I've found and good quality stuff.

Mike
    Ditto .......