Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What tools are you going to buy with the tax rebate?

A down-payment on a new house with a dedicated shop . . . maybe some 220.

BTW, what American-made tools? Outside of Lie-Nielsen, which is practically in Canada, what's left?

Yup house with new shop that is what I did last year unfortinally it is still a bit small. But if I ever get money a new gurage in the back, so I can use the one attaced to the house for a shop, saw stop, and cyclone.
    -=Jason=-

Been wanting a Binford 2000 Metric Board Stretcher for quite a while.
    Use the fence Luke

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Shepard View Post
    Been wanting a Binford 2000 Metric Board Stretcher for quite a while.

Thanks for the laugh Doug "Toolman" Shepard!

I think I'll get the new 24" Akeda DT Jig and a couple new blades.

Yup...
    Last edited by Greg Muller; 02-14-2008 at 11:25 AM.
    My continuing search for old tools- rusthunter dot com

5. Quote Originally Posted by Danny Thompson View Post
    …what American-made tools? Outside of Lie-Nielsen, which is practically in Canada, what's left?
    There are some.
    Shopsmith (was mentioned already)
    RJR Studios (Sand Flee)
    Whiteside router bits
    Starrett
    Incra
    Bridge City Tool Works
    Woodpeckers stuff

There are surely other smaller ones, no doubt. They are deserving of the American woodworker's business, are they not?

(Oh, and there's no need to make this into a Shopsmith bashing party. That's been done enough on this forum. They are what they are. But the fact that they are still American-made and in a list with the likes of those listed above should say something.)

A Bologna Master sandwich making machine. With the price of steak today, bologna is the only "meat" I can afford.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

It all depends if the SWMBO gives me all or just half. Probably some more Lie-Nielsen stuff- scrub plane, mitre plane. Could buy some lumber. Maybe some Starrett stuff. Update my stereo system. I told my wife, who has a hard time deciding what she wants to buy, that I could walk into Woodcraft and easily drop $10,000 and not buy anything over $500, or $250 for that matter. Maybe I'll go and order my sanblasted sign for my shop.
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges

Probably savings ... I don't consider it a rebate, I consider it an advance that I have to pay off anyway.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    That's great! Everyone should pay a little bit come tax time. Refunds just mean you are giving Uncle Sam a free loan for the year.

If you're careful and plan well, you ought to owe just a little bit each year and then you're getting the free loan.

I strive to pay $500 or under come April and I'm usually pretty close.
    i think we should not pay taxes at all during the year, then everyone should have to write a big fat check equivalent to what is "withheld" (read extorted/stolen/blackmailed). think we could get some tax reform then?!

our daughter is 3 weeks old today. i think i am going to be buying diapers...

-matt

Probably dump it into the "new laptop" bucket. I remember thinking "it's time to start shopping for new computers" about this time last year.

The newest computer in the house is nearly five years old: I'm not a big fan of bleeding-edge technology, but that's over the limit even for me.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Thompson View Post
    BTW, what American-made tools? Outside of Lie-Nielsen, which is practically in Canada, what's left?
    That's OK - I live outside Detroit, which is practically in Canada so I can continue to buy LN
    Use the fence Luke

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Shepard View Post
    That's OK - I live outside Detroit, which is practically in Canada so I can continue to buy LN

It's OK Doug, you just picked the "wrong" side of the river to live on!

We'll sell you General machinery too since you're such a good neighbour!

Regards, Rod.

Vacation and House work

Most of it will go to the family spring break vacation. Whatever's left will go toward repairs to improve our chances of getting out from under this house when we move this fall.
    Jay Kilpatrick in Saginaw, Tx

The little man's 529 college fund...straight in, do not pass go. Best American investment I can think of.

Pete
    "Last year we couldn't win at home. This year we can't win on the road.
    My failure as a coach is that I can't think of any other place to play."
    - Harry Neale, Vancouver Canucks

I just hope I dont own them any more money!! Break even would be great! If I do get some back I am going to get a dust system.