Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Drill Storage

Where's the Drill Doctor?

Very nice setup. If you take this care of your drill press, I look forward to the rest of your shop.

Nice job!!

DP table

Hey Joe, that's a Pinnacle DP table. I bought some of their precision T-squares and stuff and really liked the quality. WC had this on sale for under a hundred bucks so I bought one and so far so good. Thanks.

Very nice. What's the cord hanging from the bottom of your cabinet?

Cord

Danny, sharp eyes, the cord is for a multi-outlet extension cord not yet used. The next phase is a cabinet below and extended to the right of the current one that will house all my corded drills, jigs, templates, etc. with the drill doctor setting on top just to the right of the current cabinet.

Very Slick Walt. Thanks for posting this, I feel a lot better about some of the things that I make for the shop.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

WOW thats alot of bits! What do you need a drill doctor for?

Nice job Walt. Have you thought some puck lights?

9. My "shop" most of the time is the back of my 1 ton cutaway van (former Penske rental truck/van). For many months, I looked for something in which to keep smaller drill bits organized. I usually buy smaller size bits in bulk (anywhere from 12-100) but they always come in a container that doesn't hold up well or have a cap that won't stay on. Then, while searching online for something like a test tube with caps, I stumbled across "baby soda bottles". These are little bottles that soda bottling companies use to make 2 liter bottles, only these are before they are expanded at the bottling plant. They are 5.75" x 1" (inside dia.). They make great storage containers for drill bits, saber saw bits and the like. I ordered 30 of them at a place that basically is a school supply place for lab sciences and they arrived today (02/21/2008). I have also seen them on eBay but found that the school supply place is cheaper.

Because of the lip on these tubes, I plan to construct a shelf/rack for holding these by simply drilling 1-1/8" holes in a 1x3 and mounting it in the truck.

Here is a link:

http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/product/1367

Thanks

Ernie, thanks for the info on the tubes. Those look like they would be just about right for sorting and storing scroll saw blades in some type of holder. I just ordered some!

Greg, I have pretty good light in that area of the shop but puck lights might be a good addition. I am also trying to decide about putting a framed, clear plexi door on just to keep the dust out Thanks for the input.

You people and your good ideas ... I tell you what.... It makes me feel inferior

I really like the concept, and I have a similar picture in my mind. Of course, I have 1/10th the bits you have, but its STILL hard to find them sometimes

Thanks for sharing.

Wow that is way better than my method of just throwing all my bits in a drawer. I really need to do something like this.

By the way, the Pinnacle table is the same as the Woodpecker table, just different colors.

Walt what a great job. Everything right there, at hand, neat and clean. You have to love making something from a used piece.

Hope it has drill fillings around it now.

Here's an simple Index I built from and old insense display.

Thanks for sharing Walt
    I think it is better to make something with modest tools and do your best, then to have great tools and do nothing.... how do you know what you can do if you don't try...Mark Singer

Modest tools and a lot of wood

Blog Entries
    That looks like a great solution Walt. If my current setup didn't just happen to end up with a couple drawers right next to the DP, I would "borrow" that idea in a second.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Talking

Thanks Walt, you ruined my day.

My drill bits looked at your photographs and banned me from my own shop!

I'm now so despondent that I'm going to leap from the basement shop window.

Seriously, that's a great storage system, I need to get working on one for my shop......Rod.