Thread: Plunge Router

Plunge Router

Can anyone recommend a good plunge router for hand held use. I don't know if I like the idesa of the combo kits because I already have fixed base routers.
    Thanks'
    Paul

Dewalt DW621..

I have one and really like it. It has very good ergonomics and a reasonably well working dust collection.
    Some people will also suggest Festool, which costs about twice and probably a very nice router like other tools Festool makes.

Another vote for the Dewalt 621, it has the smoothest plunge action of any router in its price range and good dust collection too. The original design of the 621 was a European brand named Elu which Dewalt bought out.
    You can find Dewalt 621's on Ebay for a fair price most any time. I think I paid just under $200 for mine about a year ago.

Does the DW 621 work with the PC style guide bushings or require an adapter? I am looking for a new plunge router and was focused on another PC, but have heard good things about the Dewalt and it's dust collection.

Thanks!

A reputation for craftsmanship is a responsibility
    to never take lightly.

"Does the DW 621 work with the PC style guide bushings or require an adapter?"

...yes, the thru bore opening on DW 621's metal plate insert on the base is 1 and 3/16", which I believe is the thru bore hole diamenter for Porter-Cable's inserts/template guides.... yes, the dust collection on the 621 is good....
    ...check out Pat Warner's website (he replied to a similar thread today) or his latest book for good ideas on offset bases, etc.

good luck

michael

The PC 890 plunge base is quite good, and has similar dust collection through the plunge rod like the DeWalt. I have been pleased with it.

Doc

I have a DW 621 and like it .
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Greg

Its good to see that sometimes good things do come from a company being bought out. Dewalt has put its through the tube dust collection on the PC plunger and they have also put the Porter Cable RO sander solid dust collector on the Dewalt RO sander. Hopefully more good things will come from Dewalt buying out Porter Cable.