Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Humble Shop(W/Pics)

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Wilson View Post
    Looks pretty good to me.

As for the 3 or 4th picture with the duct work, is that asbestos wrap on the duct. If so, make sure you just leave it alone.

Chuck

PS - How do you like your Grizzly stuff?

Chuck
    I had to go look. Its a cold air return. The pipe is painted, but the "tape" on the pipe is some sort of woven fiber, I wont disturb it.
    As far as my Gizzly tools... Love them. I have never had any problems with shipping, or the tools. I thing most Grizzly owners would comment the same. Maybe not the shipping though, I've read here about shipping problems, but not too many operational problems.

Very Nice

Very nice shop. Looks well organized with a place for everything. I especially like the Uni outfeed, work bench combo.

Those pictures remind me of a house that belonged to a great uncle of mine. He had a small shop in a space that looked a lot like that with the stone walls. After he passed I was looking for a place to live and ended up renting it for several years from his daughter. I always liked working down there. It was a little like stepping back in time to an age when people did build things to last generations. We've certainly lost that concept in our Walmart, pressboard, disposable furniture society...

Barry

Very nice shop! I'm wondering how large a space you have - seeing that you fit a lot of machines down there and seem to have it all well organized. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Blog Entries
    From a fellow basement dweller, Great looking shop.

Extremely nice job of organizing your space Lance. Looks comfy to me and you set up an excellent traffic pattern to utilize the space you have. Regardless of how much space you have or don't have... that is the key to succeeding with whatever size.

Regards...

Sarge..

I've got a basement shop too, was wondering how your cast iron holds up to rust, how often do you have to use sandpaper and wd40? The jointer looks like it has some rust on it, that is why I ask, unless it is just the way the photo looks, I'm about sick of trying to keep rust off my jointer and ts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Scott View Post
    I've got a basement shop too, was wondering how your cast iron holds up to rust, how often do you have to use sandpaper and wd40? The jointer looks like it has some rust on it, that is why I ask, unless it is just the way the photo looks, I'm about sick of trying to keep rust off my jointer and ts.
    Jason... I use Johnsons Paste Wax about once a month and have never had a problem. I run a dehumidifyer in the summer. I bought the jointer used. Its not rusty, just dark, kinda the way cast iron gets after a while.

A very nice shop Lance. Well put together and homey. It's looks like a nice place to hang out.

Don't worry about the size. Remember, dynamite comes in small packages too.
    The size of the shop doesn't limit the imagination of the woodworker.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Slutsky View Post
    Very nice shop! I'm wondering how large a space you have - seeing that you fit a lot of machines down there and seem to have it all well organized. Thanks for posting the pictures.
    My shop is 15'x16' with a 5'x11' corner that I cant use because my furnace and water heater are there. I have 80" in front of my table saw blade, and 6' from my bandsaw blade to the wall. I once had to resaw an 8' piece of walnut on the bandsaw, for my father, I just sawed to the wall, stopped the saw, flipped the board and finished the cut. I wish I had more room, but have been able to do some nice things in the space I have.

Thanks for rthe pics Lance. I'm a one-garage-bay shop guy and I sure like to see others that have had success regardless of shop size. You can't have too much shop space but you can still do great work in less.

John
    Cut once, bandage twice!!

11. Lance,
    I know what you mean about the cast iron getting dark, but that is only a superficial layer on the top. I am including 2 pictures of a 1948 Walker Turner bandsaw, a before and after shot. I used a Random Orbit Sander with 80 grit, kept it at a slow setting, and flat on the table; I didn't want to dig any holes. 80 grit on metal is very kind. The metal will not let it pentrate, so it scours the surface very well. Then follow up with lighter grades like a 120, then 150, and even 220 for a final polish. I would use a little Naval Jelly around the edges, that stuff is miraculous for taking rust off of equipment. Apply as directed on containter, and finish with a little steel wool. Then neutralize if that is what it says. I have only used it twice, so I forget the final stage if neutralization is necessary, but I am watching the Grammy's and don't want to venture down into the shop.
    I'm a proponent of using WD40 to seal the cast iron after sanding. One coat is all it needs, and wipe it off with paper towels, leaving just whatever residue is left. I see that you use paste wax and you are more than not alone on that. I think 99 percent of people use it also. 3 coats required, because I put on a single coat, and got a rust impression where my hand rested on the table saw. I also like the way WD40 makes the cast iron shine.
    Also I find that a fan in a window, if possible is great for reducing humidity levels in the summer, and way cheaper on the electricity. Without windows, in an air environment that doesn't leak like mine, a dehumidifier of course works great. My problem is that my basement breathes, with 3/4" ferring strips on all outside walls on the floors above the basement, supporting the plaster board, and requires that the walls breathe, so cool air in well ventilated attic, breathes into the basement constantly. A dehumidifier in my situation is like drying the great outdoors. In your shop a dehumidifier seems a lot more desirable. Here are those before and after shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Norris View Post
    Jason... I use Johnsons Paste Wax about once a month and have never had a problem. I run a dehumidifyer in the summer. I bought the jointer used. Its not rusty, just dark, kinda the way cast iron gets after a while.
    Last edited by Bob Feeser; 02-10-2008 at 9:14 PM.
    "Fine is the artist who loves his tools as well as his work."

Lance,

I like your shop. It is well laid out and appears functional. Mine appears a little more cluttered.

Mike

Bob... thats a great looking saw, especially after your resto.

Lance, really nice shop there. How do you like your Grizzly bandsaw?

Rob Will Guest

Nice

Nice shop Lance. Looks like a good place to be.
    What does that sticker on your electric panel say?

Rob