Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: do you draw you own plans?

1. Paper and pencil, computer, then build

I start with a lined yellow pad, and draw very roughly with a pencil. It is more of a mental exercise in figuring out how each of the joints, and the overall design is going to come together. I pencil in sides, top, and any particular areas like a drawer, or internal braces, etc. Then I take these rough drawings, and convert it into computer design. I have been using a draw program, with simple boxes, and lines to more exactly determine dimensions of each piece. I often take scrap pieces from the shop, at different sizes to see how they feel in terms of proportions with one another. No need to build the whole unit to do this. A skirt for a table for example can be quickly judged.
    Once I am done with the computer, I have a complete drawing with each piece specified, with a material and cut out list. I use the construction master calculater, which figures in fractions, and see what I need in the way of material, plus about 25 percent for waste.
    My drawings are not to scale though I would like to learn Sketch Up.
    I spend a good deal of time in design, then the actual build flies. I can concentrate on building procedures.
    It takes time to do design work. For example I did a set of doors for a customer, and spent 4 hours in design, and then I built them. I could have built 8 in only a little more time. Design once, build a thousand.
    Anyhow I respect the fact that someone who has been doing woodworking, or building for a lifetime, can do a rough scratch, and start building. I am not that experienced. Besides, I love the design stage. That is pure creativity. As I am envisioning how the pieces are going together, and what kind of joinery I am going to use, I get a rush out of that. I come up with whole design systems, and how they can work together, and then when I see how other designs/systems do it, I can better appreciate their thinking, since I am so embroiled in the nature of what is needed. It's all a labor of love for me, so no matter what part I am doing, it's a plus.
    "Fine is the artist who loves his tools as well as his work."

Almost every time. I build only a few items "per print" from published plans. I make more mistakes using store bought plans than I ever do shooting from the hip. All my plans are scratched out on a sheet of notepad or whatever paper is lying around, they are accurately dimensioned though.
    Kyle in K'zoo
    Screws are kinda like knots, if you can't use the right one, use lots of 'em.
    The greatest tragedy in life is the gruesome murder of a beautiful theory by a brutal gang of facts.

3. Yes & No.
    I work out of my head. I make a general plan usually though it's not in paper. I make detailed plans for elements along the way that are complex enough that I need to have all the numbers and geometries dead on or it'll be impossible to fit up.

Where's that damn napkin at? I've been sketching some details for a tool cabinet that I need to build for my hand tools which will be based on the HO Studley tool cabinet. It's definitley not a architect grade rendering, just some scribbles with some basic layouts for the dovetails, rabbets and dadoes with dimensions based on tool sizes that I have and are going to get,and that are getting more refined the closer I get to making the first cut. I'm also buying tools and gadgets that I'll need to complete the cabinet; solid brass hinges and screws, chamfering tool, wood screw drill bits, router bits etc.. This wood will be expensive so I want to do it right the first time.
    Last edited by Michael Gibbons; 02-10-2008 at 10:44 AM.
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges

Almost always work from plans. Larger projects, like a kitchen cabinet/drawers re-do, also made cutlist.

Blog Entries

scaled drawing

I make a scaled drawing of almost all my projects using autocad lite. the drawing gives me a chance to get the proportion woked out and gives critical dimensions so I can get theparts cut right. l generally don' t drw in the joint details and just allow for them as I go. keeping all the drawings allows me to make matching piecs later on without having to reference the original piece.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

No plans, nor dimensional drawings nothing really even close. Story stick and some scrap paper or wood with dim's on it is good enough.
    I might sketch something out to scale to play with proportions, or mock things up for the visual but that's about it. 9 times out of 10 my "plan" is nothing more than a photo of something that I adapt to my liking-style etc.
    I change things on the fly and yes I 'll spend a little time scratching my noodle occasionally, my choice. Some of the best things I have done have been from that "Ah-ha" thought after thinking awhile.... Working from a plan leaves creativity etc aside, and creating with my 2 hands is a big reason I am a WW'er.
    The attention span is just fine here, I can walk away from a project today and pick up a month from now with no plan to "fall back on" and be just fine.

Greg

Keith, like Bob Feeser, I start with a sketch on a notepad and begin drawing.

Once I have a front and side view, I then begin sketching the components.

I then draw everything on the computer, often when I'm away travelling on business. It gives me some shop time, away from the shop.

I also make a cut list showing the dimensions of the rough piece required for jointing/planing so that I can break out the material without having to view the drawings.

The computer drawings show a 2d view of each component with all measurements.

I then make the components to the drawings, and assemble the furniture. Obviously I re-check a key dimensions to keep on track, or make very minor changes.

Making the drawings forces me to review all aspects of the design, before I make mistakes in the shop.

I also like to work in the shop, not stand there trying to figure out what to do, or what size that piece should be.

years after making a piece, I've wanted a second, and the detailed drawings have allowed me to easily make a second piece.

Regards, Rod.

I usually start first with some rough sketches (and I mean really rough, 2nd-grader rough) on scrap paper. Then,

If everything looks familiar and I am confident with the measurements, I go to work with the wood.

If the design calls for a new joint type, new technique, or anything complex, I like to draw out a more detailed plan using Microsoft Powerpoint, to help me make sure I have thought through all of the joinery, sequencing, and spacing issues. These powerpoint drawings usually take the form of traditional flat drawings.

Here is an example of a drawing for a drill press table I recently made:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...1&d=1201017431

Simple, really, but I had some concerns about the spacing of the front trim pieces and the guide rails, so the drawing helped.

It depends on the project. For a recent garden bench project I built, I spent a lot of time in the design phase getting every detail correct. I essentially built the piece in Sketchup first including all the joinery. If interested, you can see the bench and Sketchup rendering over at Woodcentral Shop Shot #868.
    On the other hand, I drew nothing when building my outfeed table this weekend. Straight from my head to the wood.
    Most of my projects fall somewhere in between. I'll have sketches or more advanced 2-D hand drawings for most projects. Depending on the project, it's sometimes necessary to do so in order to get the right sizes and amount of lumber. Usually some of the details are simply sketched and I'll have to mess around in the shop and on the wood or scrap until it looks good.
    I've only built some jigs from actual plans, usually from a magazine. In those cases, you have to be careful not to overuse the plan. Usually not measuring helps a project go together better.
    Jay St. Peter

I use autocad to sketch and figure out key dimensions (because that's what I do at work), but the 'plan' evolves as the project progresses. Attached is my sketch of the blanket box that I'm working on.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Some projects are still on paper.

I have a tendency to draw alot and when my opportunity arises, build it. Part of the excitement for me is the design part.

Some projects I take the actual wood and layout the project on the piece. It all depends on my mood and the level of detail.

I dont build on commissions or sell anything, so I dont have the time constraints one would have for profit ventures.

the varied responses shows the diversification of ww's....and the areas of the craft some are attracted to, and not attracted to...

I have a tendency to wing things a lot, which are relatively simple.... but once things become complex, or I plan to use expensive woods, I tend to draw things out in detail...

I find it advantageous to think things out in a nice clean tempered climate, (my office). When in a hot, or cold shop, dusty, tired, noise of compressors kicking on, etc. Sometimes I just can't think as clear vs. a quiet office.

Next, I like to focus on making parts in the shop.... my thought process is more about, how to make the part.... not, what size does it have to be. The drawing has all that information.... so it reduces the number of things I need to think about while making the pieces...

It looks like most people do plans. I envy those how can build a complicated project with just some notes.

The cabinet I am working on now has about 40 parts before I even get to the
    drawers and doors so I did the best planning I could.

I also made a list of instructions to put everything in order.

I have to do a little work on it as i get time each day. With an instruction sheet I will know were I left off and what I have to do next. I just hope all my planning was right. I'll let you know soon i hope.

Thanks for all the replies I have read all of them with great interest.

I remember the advice I got from my first boss as an adult some 30 years ago. He said "Aways remember the 5 P's. Prior planning prevents poor performance". I have built some stuff on the fly, but find that I always forget some detail that causes me to have to modify the design or even start over. Here lately, I have been drawing up projects of any complexity ahead of time and find it helps me work out the details and I plan out the work flow at the same time. I used to use Autocad but have switched over to Sketchup.