Thread: the Woodworking show...improved??

the Woodworking show...improved??

I understand 'The Woodworking Show' is under new ownership and they say it will be improved. The last few were pretty lame.

Anyone gone to a new one?

Are they getting better?

Are the vendors returning?

Thanks,
    Rick Potter

Rick,

I went to the Indianapolis show in January. I've been there several times and I must say that I was disappointed. After the show-didn't buy anything-I went to the Indianapolis Rockler and dropped several hundred. The store had much more excitement, and some real bargains. Tonight, I returned from the St. Louis show. I have to say that, at least in my opinion, the St. Louis show is much better. The center was full of vendors; no empty spaces at all. There were a number of machinery vendors. General International, Jet, Delta, Steel City, and Laguna was represented. The W.L. Fuller Company was represented; they've never been to the show before. I talked to one of their reps, and they said competition was getting greater and they wanted to expose their products to more folks. Most everything they had was 30% off. I watched a number of products being promoted. I was intrigued by the Cut-N-Crown products being sold. I don't have much room left in my shop, but I did manage to pick up a few incidentals. Oh, and I also picked up a 2nd Jet Mini Lathe-this one is the variable speed model. I got a good deal, and since it is a local supplier, will pick it up at the store. Overall, I spent about 3 hours there and really enjoyed myself.

Jim

Columbus, OH

I don't expect to find many bargains at any show. Instead, I go for the seminars...a chance to hear the "experts" talk. I went to the Columbus, OH show to see presentations by Mike and Jim Heavey. In all, I went to 5 of their presentations, each worth the price of admission by itself.

There were plenty of vendors to keep me occupied between seminars, some selling things I was interested in, some selling things that were neat but not for my needs, and some that were so gimmicky that I kept looking for the snake oil bottles. (Anybody need a rubber broom?)

Lee Valley being there with their free shipping/no sales tax deal was a plus.

In short, I like the Woodworking Show product. My expectations for informative talks, even a new twist on something I might already be familiar with, and for a chance to talk with fellow woodworkers have always been met.
    "God does not deduct from a man's lifespan the time spent fishing."

I too went to the Columbus, OH show. The next show I am going to make time for the seminars. Unfortunately my time was limited and I couldn't hang around for those. I always enjoy hearing an expert and learning new stuff.

Disappointed Jet wasn't there. Dewalt was, and they had a good price on the DW735 planer.

I bought a few things, including a smock from Lee Valley.

But overall, wasn't overly impressed with the whole thing. Like Joe said, there were some gimmicky booths, that I just hate. I despise someone calling me over like a carnival worker. Gimme a break. The quality dealers let you come over and don't need to hound you as you walk by. Made me feel like I was in the middle of an infomercial.
    One good turn deserves another

I went to the Atlanta show. It was about the same as last year as far as vendors go. Both Stone Mountain And William Redmond Tool were there with some great deals. Rigid was their as well selling reconditoned tools and I ended up getting the OSS for $130. Lie Nielsen and Lee Valley were also there.

As for the demos, I like Mike Heavey, but I wish they had more of them.
    Last edited by Todd Hyman; 02-11-2008 at 3:32 PM.
    War Eagle!

St. Louis was about the same with the addition of Laguna. Jet, SC, LV, General all were back. Less people on Friday than lst year which was awesome for me. Laguna had a HD16, their new platnium TS, and a smaller 16" BS. That HD16 is a crazy looking saw.

Thanks guys

We usually have a show in May at the Pomona fairgrounds. I heard that Woodline router bits people had bought a share of the show, and am hoping that they can infuse a bit more enthusiasm into it. I have always enjoyed watching the demos and will probably go again this year.

Rick Potter

I am headed to the sumerset show in NJ this friday and maybe saturday. I am optomistic, looks like there might be some good classes there.
    -=Jason=-

The show in KC was better than I expected, I was expecting it to be really bad this year. In fact it was on par with last year, maybe slightly better. I didn't buy much, but honestly really didn't need anything. The Laguna guy didn't have much, but to his defense he had 10x10 booth. He had a bunch of stuff behind the storage wall. I hope that Lie Nielsen finds it's way back to the show next year as they stopped coming last year.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

10. I've been to the Denver and St. Louis shows. Have seen a gradual decline in each successive year. Too bad - used to be a great time to learn and see the new "gear" and stock up on consumables. I didn't even bother going this year. I figure I can get better deals online and generally with free shipping. Most vendors have online video demonstrations of their tools. Maybe trade shows are becoming a thing of the past?