Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: I Remember When......

I remember my granny on my dads side (my dads, dad died when he was 12) and my grandmother and grandfather on my moms side. The three of them did so much for me when I was young and were such a big part of who I am now.

I only regret that I didn't spend near enough time with each of them before they passed away. Life was just too busy, or I always had something more important to do. It shouldn't have been that way. If you still have older relatives alive, spend as much time as possible with them. Don't do like I did and realize that you miss them after their already gone.

Combat

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Keedwell View Post
    Have Gun WiLL Travel...Maverick....Cheyenne...Davet Crocket...Perry Mason/....Surfside Six....The Fugitive....Wyatt Earp... 77 Sunset Strip...Ozzie and Harriet....Father Knows Best...Real Mc Coys
    dont forget combat
    and John Wayne on the 10 o-clock movie
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Camaster Cobra 408 working table size 48 x 98
    Wincnc,AspireII,PhotoVcarve,Cut3D
    HX6090SE 60Wworking table 23”X36”
    LaserCut 5.3
    Coreldraw X3, photograV 3.0, Photozoom3

Sawmill Creek is financed in part through member contributions.
    Many members just like you have found extraordinary value in becoming a financial supporter of SMC.

The Three Stooges
    Buddy Abbott and Lou Costello

25¢ would buy me a 12 oz. coke, a payday candy bar, 10 pixie sticks, and 10 pieces of bubblegum.

All softdrinks were in glass bottles.

All the "old timers" would sit in the country store, not too far from the old pot belly stove, and play checkers with bottle tops, all the while talking about farm life and spitting tobacco juice in the ash bucket next to the stove.

A haircut used to cost me 50¢

A plug of "Days Work" or "Bloodhound" chewing tobacco was 20¢.

I remember my grandmother and greatgrandmother dipping "Red Top Snuff".

Going out to eat was a 1 hour drive and only a special treat that was no more than about 3 times a year.

No Central heat or Air conditioning.

Party Line telephones.

My school was all wood, including the floors.

School lunches were actually healthy for you and the lunch with a 1/2 pint of milk was 25¢.

I remember a fellow classmate of mine didn't like school so much so that he burned the school to the ground. We still had school....just in portable trailers.

I remember sitting in front of our black and white TV watching every single NASA rocket launch that came on...including the Saturn V.

Black and White 8MM home movies.

Life sure passes ya by in a hurry doesn't it?!!!
    Last edited by Dennis Peacock; 02-07-2008 at 11:39 PM.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Let's see:

The Rebel....

Have Gun Will Travel.....

Rawhide.......

Lash LaRue?

The Little Rascals...(not the rock group ....though I like their music)

The 3 Stooges.....

Wild Bill Hickock.....

Sky King....

Sea Hunt.....
    Ken,
    Lash Larue was a movie cowboy out of the early 50's. He caught bad guys with a bull whip.
    Johny Mac Brown, a TV cowboy that came on when I got home from school.
    David B

Penny candy stores.

Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea.

H.R. Puffnstuf.

Fist fights were finished with fists.

When the adults in my family met at the bar, each one of them could get totally hammered on a $1.50 drinking ice cold Schlitz that was delivered in wooden barrels.

Detroit originals; Vernors, Red Pelican mustard, Sanders bakery and soda shops.

Going Christmas shopping at Hudsons in downtown Detroit.

Evel Kneivel ( RIP) jumping the Snake River canyon.

When pop was made with real sugar.
    Last edited by Michael Gibbons; 02-08-2008 at 2:47 AM.
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock View Post
    The Three Stooges...
    Moe - Larry - the Cheese - the Cheese.
    NYUK NYUK NYUK
    Use the fence Luke

Don't remember that one.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

I remember from Center Brunswick, NY......

Going with my dad to the local tavern. He'd have a beer while I sat next to him or played the game with the long hardwood table and metal pucks. Can't remember what that was called. Used sand to help the pucks slide.

Walking [about 1/2 mile] to the Sinclair station and buying a Pepsi for a nickle and a handful of peanuts for a penny. Peanuts in the Pepsi. Didn't taste the same if you used Coke.

My grandfathers Nash Metropolitan which he never drove over 40 MPH, except when I put my arm through a washing machine wringer. He drove over 60 MPH to get me to the hospital.

My first airplane ride in a 4 engine prop plane from Albany, NY to Philadelphia, PA. I got to go into the cockpit and talk to the pilots.

My grandfather getting paid in SILVER DOLLARS and me getting some each Christmas.

Milk was put in cans to be delivered to the processing plant, until Mr. Flatly bought a storage tank that cooled the milk also.

Drinking milk warm straight from the source or dipping out a cool ladle from the storage tank.

Going to the local dirt track and watch my dad and his friends race, pretty much what they drove to the track, each Saturday night in the summer.

Learning to drive an old International truck, that didn't have a seat, in a field behind one of our neighbors houses.

Driving the tractor spreading manure.

Rolling the tractor, while spreading manure on a sidehill.

More to come......

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

David...Yeah I knew Lash LaRue was at the movies....but I was surprised I still remembered his name.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I'm grateful for this post because I don't feel quite as old after reading some of the "remembering."

The lowest price I paid for gas was 25 cents.
    My first car was a '58 Chrysler that got 10 mpg but I filled it for $6.00
    My first brand new car was $2500, payments $74/month for 3 years
    School lunches in elementary were 35 cents.
    Schools still had ice cream sandwiches in a machine, for 10 cents.
    Our phone number, when I was old enough to use it, was Ju31403.
    Our neighbor had a remote control TV, and everyone had to go see it.
    It had a wire running from the remote to the TV.
    Bought an IBM PC Junior
    Reel to reel tapes

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    The Little Rascals...(not the rock group ....though I like their music)

Now I remember watching them in reruns, but was it the little Rascals, or Our Gang?

My parents/grandparents owned a "Hot Link" cafe. It had a white dining area and seperate colored area. Around the corner at Bob's cafe...the colored people could only get their meals from the back door. This was in Greenville Texas where a sign above the main hwy into town said "Welcome to Greenville, the blackest land and the whitest people" .
    I worked at the Hot Link "place" when just a kid. Making 75cents a day. My job was to serve the "pop". The cooler was a coke box filled with water so cold it made my arms ache. I hated when the bottles would fall over as I had to reach in to stand them back up ......man that water was cold. But worth it as I could take my wad of coins and for 45cents go to the saturday matinee and buy a coke and popcorn or malted milk balls. Coke was a dime...deposit 3 cents for the bottle. Show 25cents, candy/popcorn 10 cents.
    Last edited by Randy Denby; 02-08-2008 at 11:02 AM.
    Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else.

I remember...

Sunday nights...Mutual of Omaha's...Wild Kingdom, The Wonderful World of Disney...

Mannix-Hawaii Five 0-Laugh In-Lucy-Brady Bunch-Partridge Family-Star Trek-Kojak-Streets of San Francisco-Mod Squad-American Bandstand-Underdog-Rocky and Bullwinkle...

Playing Hop Scotch, jump rope, red light/green light, having a lemonaide stand...

Great thread, fun to read everyone's memories, and to remember our own!

Phyllis

Quote Originally Posted by Randal Stevenson View Post
    Now I remember watching them in reruns, but was it the little Rascals, or Our Gang?
    Both...........................
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I remember eating watermelon that was cooled in the neighbor's milk house. It was so cold that it made my teeth hurt. We were not old enough to drink beer but would sneak one into the milk house water tank and hide in the barn and pass it around. It was like the watermelon, very cold.
    I remember the first time I inhaled a cigarette, I was so light headed I had to lie down. Wish I had never taken that first drag. Most of the farm boys smoked and many chewed Beechnut or Red Man chewing tobacco, I had no idea that they were addictive. My Grandmother caught me with a cigarette, she informed me that If I was meant to smoke I would have been born with a chimney. She never told my parents.
    I enjoyed riding my horse through the high rows of field corn as fast as the horse would run. I had shorts on and would have a bunch of small cuts on my legs from the blades on the corn plants.
    I would ride on an old horse drawn two row corn planter that was modified to be pulled by a tractor. My job was to shut the corn and fertilizer hoppers off while my Dad turned around to start another row.
    I loved jumping off of the barn beams into a large pile of straw, trying to copy someone landing from a parachute jump.
    This thread is really bringing up old fond memories.
    David B