View Poll Results: Corded or Cordless?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Corded: For your situation, this should suffice and convenient.

12 52.17%
  • Corded: No replacement for power, convenience isn't a big deal if you're at home.

11 47.83%

Thread: corded vs. cordless? your vote = my purchase...(Long)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

corded vs. cordless? your vote = my purchase...(Long)

NOTE: POLL is CORDLESS for FIRST option.

I put out a thread a couple days ago asking if people still use their corded tools but let me give you situation and maybe you can help me out.

BACKGROUND: I purchased the Ridgid 8 piece kit for $270 and planned on keeping it. Then I thought why go half way when you should either go full blown corded or cordless but more powerful like Ridgid's 24volt lithium. I sold the individual tools on ebay for $400 net (not including shipping). I kept the circular saw because it was suitable for the 24volt battery. I plan on buying the TS3650 in the next month or two.

PROBLEM: I can't choose between going full power corded or cordless. I'm just a occasional DIY and tool addict. I want to get something that I shouldn't have to get again.

CORDLESS CHOICES: Tools of the Trade review of Lithium tools say Ridgid's 24volt line is solid. Not as good as more expensive V28 milwaukee's or 36v bosch and so forth but Ridgid is at about 1/2 the cost and performs nearly as good. My estimate for the cost for the Ridgid = $401.92 out the door for the Hammer drill, 2 batteries, charger, Recip saw, Jig saw. Again, I already got the circular saw. I will sell the circular saw for about $50 if I go corded.

CORDED CHOICES: Makita 4351FCT $163 or Bosch 1591 $158 for Jig saw. Leaning towards the Makita for LED and being different. Great ratings on Amazon for the prior 4341FCT. Recip saw choices are: Hitachi CR13BY $120 on sale or Milwaukee 6523-21 $159. Circular saws are Makita 5007MG $139 or Milwaukee 6390-20 $129. So the total can be anywhere from $407 to $461.

FOR CORDLESS: I will be having the TS for big rips so I figure the power of the cordless circular should suffice for small jobs. The convenience of no cord is very appealing. I don't use it everyday, 8hrs/day. I was affraid of replacing batteries, thats why I'm going with Ridgid.

FOR CORDED: Brutal power. No batteries to worry about.

Please throw in your 2 cents. I'm REALLY on the fence on this one. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Deuce Lee; 02-06-2008 at 11:09 AM. Reason: clarify poll options