Thread: Barnwood - recommended reading?

Barnwood - recommended reading?

Scored a very nice load of oak beams from a project that fell through. So far I got 2 large 9' long 7"x11 1/2" beams. One which will become a mantel. I was pressed for time, so I'm heading back early Saturday AM to scrounge more.

I have a couple of ideas for the other stuff like tables, benches, picture frames, etc.

Does anyone have any recommended books or websites to check out on this subject? looking for some project ideas as well as working techniques.

I'll be borrowing a friends metal detector for the obvious reasons. I'll probably keep a lot of the stuff away from my power tools anyway and do most by hand.

I'll get some pictures up soon.

Congrats on your haul Dan, I just recently scored about 160 BF of red oak from an old building myself. As far as project ideas I am making an workbench from some of mine. I am just starting though, I know most people already have a bench. I am also thinking gun cabinet.

Here's a pic of a coffee table I might copy.

Attached Images Attached Images

Looks sturdy!!!!!!!!!

Dan--

How about a workbench? Think of the base you could build with those pieces!

It's certainly your wood to do with what you want, but personally I would shudder to see you cut up those beautiful timbers for a coffee table. The mantle is a great idea and anything else where you can keep as much of the length as possible. That is some special wood that IMHO calls for a special project or two.

Have fun.

Kevin

Hey Kevin, I already have a rock solid work bench. To set you at ease, let me clarify something, because I would shudder at the same thing!

This guy had a bad contractor get in over his head on rebuilding the barn and basically stopped showing up. The beams have been out in the elements for about 2 years while lawsuits were going back and forth. Basically its all over now and he wants the stuff just gone. During those 2 years, some made it through better than others (lack of air flow and ground contact). I'm getting to the pile after some others have already gone through it. A lot of what is left will not make very long beams because of rot.

Of course I'm hoping to get some longer pieces out of the pile, but many just aren't able to be salavaged that way. Stinks, but I'll do what I can with it.

I'd like to resaw some longer ones and make a dining room table. I'd score some major points with the wife on that one, she and I both drooled over someone elses reclaimed pine table.

That coffee table was a thought for the short pieces.
    Last edited by Daniel McCurdy; 02-05-2008 at 5:01 PM.

Here are 2 quick shots. Note the rot in the beam to the right. I had already cut about 20" off from the end already.

Dan--

Yes, if it's red oak, not the most hearty out in the weather for a couple of years. I wish I could grab some slabs like that as all I can see is one massive workbench, but maybe that's because I've read Chris Schwarz's new book too many times!

Hope you can find some more nice (and long!) pieces.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Adams View Post
    Yes, if it's red oak, not the most hearty out in the weather for a couple of years. I wish I could grab some slabs like that as all I can see is one massive workbench, but maybe that's because I've read Chris Schwarz's new book too many times!
    You say that like it's a bad thing!

Tom
    Are you getting something out of your time here? You are? Great...then now's the time to give a little something back! Contribute!

Barnwood

Look up antiquelumber.net to get an idea of what it's worth and what you can do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel McCurdy View Post
    Here are 2 quick shots. Note the rot in the beam to the right. I had already cut about 20" off from the end already.

Rather than rot, that looks like a fork or where two trees grew together, capturing a pocket of bark in between. There are two centers there.

The Westin Hotel in Westminster CO has a number of side and "coffee" tables that are very similar to that one in their lobby. "Very stout"...and very nice! If I recall, they are likely made from doug-fir. Definitely a nice idea for making furniture. Congrats on your beam acquisition!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I made a breakfast area table for my daughter about 11 years ago from timbers used in a Kentucky tobacco barn. Lord knows how old this stuff was. Resawed, dried (I thought), built and finished the table. Four years ago it developed a crack that continued to grow until it was about 3/16" x 8" long.
    Reason I bring this up is so you won't get in a hurry after the timbers are resawn/cut. Let the pieces acclimate before you start building.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Grow View Post
    Rather than rot, that looks like a fork or where two trees grew together, capturing a pocket of bark in between. There are two centers there.
    Yes, it is in fact a crotch piece, but that's not bark, its soggy wood.

Hey guys, I went back last weekend and picked up a very large load of what was left of the good stuff. I took a picture, but I'll have to take another since it didn't turn out well. I got some big daddy 11"x11"x9' ones...good Lord they were heavy! I was very happy I had a 3500 truck, it hauled it like a champ.

I was poking around online and taking a look at some other samples of peoples work with beams like this. I saw this and thought it was exactly what I want to duplicate. Any opinions on stain and application technique...or should I just plan to stain like anything else? Matte poly??? I really like how the stain is darker and accents the hewn marks. I do have some scraps I can practice on first.

I'll probably end up calling this company as well and see if they can provide some pointers on how they finished them.

Also, can anyone recommend a good trusted guy in the Tri-State area to mount this thing to the fireplace?

Before and after pics I found online. (Don't think its actually the same beam, but its close enough)