Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: People with cordless tools, still use corded ones?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Dunn View Post
    Art, why is a cordless quicker for drilling?
    Did I say that?

Doh!! No, Art, you clearly said "CORDED" and for some stupid reason I read it as "cordLESS".

I often use a corded drill with end mill for pen blanks. It seems to have more power, speed, and holds up when doing a large number of blanks. For a few blanks, the cordless is the drill I pick up.

Use a cordless drill to drive screws and drill an occasional small pilot hole, but it runs out of juice for bigger jobs. For outside chores (bracing for the pasture fences, trimming with the recip saw, etc.), I use corded tools and a 2000 watt generator. In the shop, almost always use corded because of the higher power.

5. Call me old fashioned. When we built the staircase in my house my carpenter neighbor continuted to drive 3 in screws with his Dewalt 18v as I watched him replace battery after batter. I just kept going with my Craftsman corded drill. Yes I still like a corded drill. I also have have the Milwaukee 1/2" hammer drill for kicks. But, the torque is so much better on a constant power tool then a battery tool. Now if I was doing cabinets or small drilling, I'd likely buy the 14v Dewalt due to size. But, I'll stick to my corded drills for power any day. It's all based on the job you're doing at the time.

Anthony illustrates exactly the way the stair guy worked here in support of our addition project. He had three corded drills and one cordless. The latter was only used for drilling the smallest of the pilot holes. All the 'real work' was handled by the corded tools. So I agree...pick the right tool for the job.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...