Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this a Plastic Resin Glue?

Is this a Plastic Resin Glue?

I am looking for a plastic resin glue, and although this appears to be just that, nowhere does it actually say "plastic resin glue". It appears to be geared for veneering. Does anyone know if this is a plastic resin glue?

Detailed information can be found here......

http://woodcraft.com/family.aspx?fam...e=details#tabs
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Blog Entries
    I'm not sure about the one you posted, but this one is (I believe) the plastic resin glue David Marks always uses.

I have used this as well and Nelson Paints is the manufacturer (I think) and the only place I found that sold in pints.
    Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good

"Plastic Resin Glue" is a product name. It is DAP's name for a urea-fomaldehyde glue which is sold as a dry powder to which you add water. That stuff from Woodcraft looks to be equivalent to DAP's product.

Glen -

I think that the "urea" gives this away t mean urea formaldehyde glue. Not the same as plastic resin. You can order DAP plastic resin from online sources (DAP makes it)

- Rob
    oops ....1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 - yup all there, whew!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Wright View Post
    Glen -

I think that the "urea" gives this away t mean urea formaldehyde glue. Not the same as plastic resin. You can order DAP plastic resin from online sources (DAP makes it)

- Rob
    I thought that that is exactly what DAP's plastic resin glue is - "urea formaldehyde glue".
    Regards,

Glen

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Klein View Post
    I'm not sure about the one you posted, but this one is (I believe) the plastic resin glue David Marks always uses.

I have used this as well and Nelson Paints is the manufacturer (I think) and the only place I found that sold in pints.
    That's the only one I've used and it worked great for bent laminations. I dont think it's quite the same as the DAP type plastic resin glues though. I think those are mixed with water. The Nelson Paint stuff is a liquid resin and powdered hardener.
    Use the fence Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Blanchard View Post
    I thought that that is exactly what DAP's plastic resin glue is - "urea formaldehyde glue".
    Glen - my bad as the kids say. I agree that the DAP Plastic resin glue is urea formaldehyde glue....

sorry - Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Klein View Post

Randy - is that the stuff that appears to be a purple tint when he squeezes it out of his bottle? I watched an episode of WW that he built a bent lamination lamp that had three laminations that were then formed together. I remember that he used a plastic resin type glue.

Thanks -

Blog Entries
    Randy - is that the stuff that appears to be a purple tint when he squeezes it out of his bottle? I watched an episode of WW that he built a bent lamination lamp that had three laminations that were then formed together. I remember that he used a plastic resin type glue.

Thanks -
    Here's a link to his FAQ that addresses it.

As for the color, I wouldn't call it purple, but I'm colorblind. But every time he says a slow setting glue and it's not yellow, I believe this is what it is.
    Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good

From my understanding the Pro Glue is a urea formalehyde glue ....I just purchased some of it, but haven't had a chance to use it..I don't know the specific makeup of it since the MSDS is not really forthcoming about the product other than it has 1-2% formaldehyde and states that it is a modified UF resin...I typically use the DAP Weldwood glue and it is a urea formaldehyde polymer glue (90-95% UF polymer by weight and 1-5% formaldehyde and 1-5% barium chloride)..you can buy DAP Weldwood at nearly any ACE or True Value hardware store.
    Last edited by Rich Schneider; 01-30-2008 at 10:10 PM.

I remember that he used a plastic resin type glue.
    Does he ever use anything else?
    Regards,

Glen

I bought some of the DAP plastic resin stuff but haven't tried it yet. Nobody ever said so I'm wondering, Is there any length of shelf life for mixed glue or do you mix just what you think you'll need and everything mixed and unused is wasted?

Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Berguson View Post
    I bought some of the DAP plastic resin stuff but haven't tried it yet. Nobody ever said so I'm wondering, Is there any length of shelf life for mixed glue or do you mix just what you think you'll need and everything mixed and unused is wasted?

Bryan
    I have read that there definitely is a shelf life for the DAP plastic resin glue. If memory serves, it's about 12 months.
    Regards,

Glen

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Blanchard View Post
    I have read that there definitely is a shelf life for the DAP plastic resin glue. If memory serves, it's about 12 months.

That wouldn't be a problem. I guess I'll mix some up and try it finally.

Thanks!

Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Schneider View Post
    you can buy DAP Weldwood at nearly any ACE or True Value hardware store.
    Unless you live in North Central Pennsylvania. I ended up having to order it through a True Value. It took a week but I didn't have to pay shipping.

Bryan