Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Have experience installing Fiber Cement Siding?

I installed Hardiplank siding this past year on my shed and also was concerned about the dust. You can use a box cutter with sharp blades and a carpenters square to score both sides. It was slow and tedious but dust wasn't an issue. Installation is definitely a two person job.

2. We installed Hardie-Plank on several HfH houses. The shears(similar to sheet metal shears) cost about $270, but produce only curlings of the composite---which do need to be cleaned up. We also used circular saws, some with carbide blades and some with the product specific recommended blades. We found the best blade for the $$ were blades from Cummins Tools(or Harbor Freight) that had carbide tips and cost about $3 each, each blade would last for more than one house, making them the hands down least cost.

The dust is horrendous, however!!!!!!!!!!! Not only affecting the sawyer/helper, but anyone within 50 or so yards down wind.

We also used screws to install---one reason was cost---we had plenty of volunteers and donated cordless drills. We found the drywall dimplers($5 at HI store contractor checkout counters) to be ideal in setting the screws.

The other thing we did was caulk every seam, both vertical and horizontal.

We also used the stuff to make hand made fish scale 'shingles' to add detail to gable ends and porch gables. The electric shears were the only tool used for that---a circ. saw was deemed to be too unsafe(cutting small pieces that were hand held.

K.L,

You’re the first responder to have experience using the shear or have seen the quality of cut the shear produces. How does the shear cut compare to a saw cut? The cut must be acceptable if you’re shaping shingles for gables.

Some have suggested countersinking the screws/nails but the manufacturers warn: “Don’t over-drive the fasteners because seating them below the surface of the siding reduces its holding power.”

I’m leaning toward the CertainTeed Perfection Shingle lap siding for the walls (8.25” x 12.0’) and CertainTeed Octagon shingles for the gables (16.0” x 48.0”)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Harry Hagan; 01-28-2008 at 4:36 PM.

Harry, I have installed the certainteed siding on my house. I used the shears and saw blade. The saw blade creates a lot of dust. Not good for my asthma. The shear makes a good cut. We also have a big shear for the big jobs. Be sure to get a quality caulk for your joints. I love the stuff because it is almost maintaince free.

The dust is a serious health hazard as in silicosis and cancer. Silica is currently OSHA's hot industrial hygiene issue. That said, around here (NJ) everyone uses saws often with vacs attached. I know that Makita has a special saw with fancy bearing and fan shielding and dust pickup for use with a vac. For those of us that also do side jobs or work on the house this setup also is good for the new drywalls that are mold resistant and moe resistent to impact damage, they are tough to cut with a utility knife.