Thread: Endgrain Workbench

Endgrain Workbench

Endgrain Workbench???

Hmm, just wondering if anyone has one, ever seen one, ever heard of one. Any opinions? Advantages?

I guess expansion and contraction might moot the idea. but, once you got it built and the top flat, it would never need flattening ever again in theory.

ciao,

dan
    Last edited by Dan Barr; 01-26-2008 at 5:39 AM.
    Building my own Legos!

I think there would be several problems with such a workbench. After reading Chris Schwarz's book one of the main selection criteria for bench materials is that the top needs to be made out of stiff wood that doesn't need extensive bracing underneath. The bracing tends to interfere with clamping. By cutting and gluing up your stock with the grain running vertical, you have seriously degraded the woods strength along a span.

Second, even an endgrain top would need to be resurfaced at some point, and I'd hate to be the one to hand plane a bench size cutting board...

One of the maxims that Chris puts forth in his book is that when it comes to benches, think long and hard before trying anything "new". There are almost always good reasons why benches were built the way they were. By the mid 19th century, workbenches had pretty much reached their zenith and most of the "innovations" since then have been somewhat dubious, particularly for benches intended for hand tool use.
    "History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." -Walter Bagehot

Dan,

I saw version that was made with Baltic birch plywood, ripped into strips, epoxied together, and surfaced. He then sealed the end with epoxy resin.

I think that he had it placed on a traditional type workbench legs. I may have seen this on the fetsool owner's group website. It was interesting and he said that it was very durable with a unique look to the surface. I would like to attempt something like this in the future.

- Rob

oh - Good luck in the UK.

Found it - it was here on the 'creek:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=22081
    Last edited by Rob Wright; 01-26-2008 at 4:08 PM. Reason: added link
    oops ....1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 - yup all there, whew!

Agreed eventually any work bench top will need some flattening..... eventually anyway. And the bracing of it would be alot of extra work.
    I've seen a post here I think of the ply top that Rob mentioned.... I think anyway.
    I've had the same thought about bench tops not being made end grain up, but my parents have an antique butcher block that is all dovetailed with the end grain up & I betcha it's at least 1/2" convex in the center from its previous lives....

Greg

I've got one of those Sam Blasco inspired BB ply benches in progress. Just got the last piece of hardwood edging (which is also the end vise rear jaw) glued on a few days ago. One thing worth mentioning: Sam's post makes it look pretty easy, and it probably is IF you have a giant vacuum press like he does. There's quite a bit more involved without that big vac press.
    Use the fence Luke