Thread: Beading Tool Set???

Beading Tool Set???

Where is a good place to get a set of beading tools??? I see Woodcraft has a 5 piece set of Sorby beading tools for $165. Is that a good price???
    John T.

beading tools

Hi John,
    If you have 165 dollars you dont need, I guess that is a good price. Why not learn to make your own beads with the tools you already have. Then, you will have 165 dollars to buy the things you cant make yourself. A good chuck, for starters.I make it a practice to buy only the things I cant make, and make the things I can. That is what woodturning is all about.Anyway, that is what I would do. Max

Quote Originally Posted by John Terefenko View Post
    Where is a good place to get a set of beading tools??? I see Woodcraft has a 5 piece set of Sorby beading tools for $165. Is that a good price???
    I bought a set at our club charity auction a year ago October. I use them on a fairly regular basis, for a very specific detail I use on some of my "OATS" pieces, it's easier... I do most of my other beads with detail gouges, custom point scrapers (home made) and a skew when I fell like ruining a piece of wood.
    They have their use, but learning the tools that will do a perfect job is cheaper (and probably better too) than buying all the tools there are... Besides, with that set, we can only make certain sized beads. With SKILL we can make beads of any size.
    Change One Thing

Blog Entries
    I have that set. Works great.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

sorby beading

John: hartvilletool.com has the same Sorby beading set for $129 with free shipping. FYI
    Gary

Thumbs up

I put this question on a couple forums and when I did not get any answers or the only answer I got was learn your other tools I went ahead and ordered the tools from Woodcraft. Then I read Gary's reply and wow I saved $35. I immediately called to cancel my order. Thanks Gary for the heads up. I even bookedmarked that site for it looks like it has some other stuff I maybe interested in. I even sent for their catalog.
    John T.

beading set

John: Your welcome. I am glad the information was helpful. Two or three times a year they have sales with highlighted items at unusually low prices. The one before this I got a Incra 1000se miter with the sled combo for a great price. About a year ago they had a very low price on glen-drake marking gauges.
    Gary

Harville Tool...

I have to tell you guys about Hartville Tool...I live near there and I have to say that you are all missing out, not having the chance to go there. They regularly have their 20% off bag sale where you can walk in the store, they hand you a bag and then you get an additional 20% off their already low pricing. Even their turning tools and chucks. Plus they have more tools than at Woodcraft or Rockler. Its a family owned hardware store that loves woodworking : ) They have a HUGE selection of power tools, router bits, shaper bits and dust collectors. It's my Graceland : *( I am sure you would all appreciate it, given the opportunity to go there.

Thought you'd all like to know,

John Grabowski

John

You lucky dog you. I would love to have a store like that near me. As I said I quickly looked through their other catagories and found things of interest for later dates. I even picked up a couple turning books that were on clearance. Thanks again for the heads up.
    John T.

John,

If you enjoy the 20% off on bag sale, you should join our Club BWWT.org . We have a 20% off discount program with the mail order department of Hartville every day. You can ask for pick up and there is no shipping and handling.
    They have been very supportive of our Club. They allowed us to use their facility for meeting for free until we out grew the place. They continue their support through donating to the raffle at our monthly meeting.
    Gordon

Thanks Gordon...

Thats good to know...I will definitely look into that!! I love just going in there and looking around....They always ask "Can I help you?" Usually I reply "Ohh just dreaming....someday though!!"

Thanks

John G