Thread: "Weekend Doin's"

Smile "Weekend Doin's"

Friday January 25, 2008

GOOD MORNING "CREEKERS"!

BRRRRR!!!!!! I don't think we've seen anything in double digit temps for well over a week. At least on the plus side. It's -5 right now. We are supposed to see a couple of days in the 30's though. We need that to help with the snow removal. We've had plenty of the white stuff also. Average for this time of the season is around 25 inches. We've got over 52 inches so far.

It's been too cold to try and heat up the shop so there hasn't been any WW'ing going on. I am really antsy to get back out there and get going again. Still waiting on Al and his talent for cleaning up though. Hey Al, I was up in Red Wing last week and the river is frozen. Get your skates on and come down. It's all down hill from up there. We'll put you on Amtrak for the return trip.

So what's on the agenda for you this weekend? No football, so it should be a good couple of days to get some work done in the shop.

Hope ya'll have a good weekend. BE SAFE!!

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

Its 3 degrees here right now. My weekend plans revolve around bathroom renovation. I'm hoping to do the demolition work and plumbing (just moving everything into the wall for a pedestal sink) this weekend as well as finish up the woodworking on the cabinets and starting to get ready for finishing.

It's supposed to be 30 and snowing here tomorrow. I just moved into my house in November and have been trying to get the inside of the house up to speed and I am thinking that it's now time for me to get into the shop (2 car garage) and try to organize so things. It looks like a tornado went thru it right now.
    Grant
    GO Buckeyes!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    starting to get ready for finishing.
    That's the story of my life. I always seem to start, just have a hard time finishing.

Sorry Matt. Head is working weird today.

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

Tomorrow I am going to pick up 200 bd ft of cherry, to do what with I don't know. The dog is due for a bath which is always an ordeal. Sunday is a family birthday party for 4 people. Besides that, I have to catch up on some Masters lectures.

I am just crossing my fingers that it warms up. It is just a bit too cold out in the garage to do much of anything.

besides shoving wood in the woodstove, i'll be finishing up an ash and wenge bedroom set. (dresser, 2 nightstands, hamper, and bedframe) i just hope the shop is big enough!

Our 18 month old great-granddaughter is coming over to play with Pa-pa this evening. She is spending the night so my Saturday could be a little tied up too! Tomorrow and Sunday hang pipe to finish my DC installation.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Weekend Stuff

Saturday I'll be teaching an all-day basic bowl turning class for our woodworking club. Sunday is general cleanup day with my wife's pottery guild holiday party in the afternoon. I made some wooden pottery tools for the gift exchange.

Have a good one,
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Well, I took off work today so I could go to The Woodworking Show in Atlanta, but my ride delayed until tomorrow. That's fine though because now I can do stuff I need to do for my business. So I guess I took off work to go to work. Hopefully I can also get quite a bit of work done on a curio cabinet I'm making for LOML. It's a Valentine's Day present so I better kick it in gear, or I could get kicked in the gear for being late. It's the so-called chimney cupboard on the cover of the newest Popular Woodworking issue. The author used maple, but I am using Peruvian walnut for everything except the drawer faces which will be jatoba. I might make the shelves with jatoba also. I can't quite decide how to balance the two contrasting woods yet. If anyone has any input, please put it in. Oh, and tonight I'll be discussing a vanity with a possible client. As if I need more to do... Tomorrow I'll be heading down to Atlanta for the show. Sunday I'll try to convince my wife that even though she doesn't see me, she needs to stay married to me.

Sorry Karl, new drum sander and I'll be playing with that this weekend, and trying to stay warm..

Wife's TV stand is coming along well...for the most part, and I have two side panels to sand smooth and then start on assembling the sides, I'm thinking a 6 sided cabinet might have been pushing the learning curve a little faster than what I like, but I've been able to deal with the few errors so far.

Beasty still thinks its pretty so the beatings have stopped.

Also have to refinish the railing going into the basement, when bringing in the new couch it got dinged up a little and I picked up a sliver off it yesturday, better me than you know who....

Stay warm and well

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

Up Nort' to prep for my PEX install and remodel. Clear space in my garage for a big delivery of drywall, 2x, OSB, and insulation. Remove old carpet, pads, and doors. Pull out old copper and load it for delivery to a scrapyard. Finish damaged drywall removal, and take down some shelves and cabinets for access. Oh, yeah, this is going to be fun!

Nice though that the insurance check will be covering the whole remodel with DIY.

Anyone in Northern WI need a slightly damages washer, good electric dryer, or some hollow core doors? 3-24", 2-32"?

Brrrrr. Its been in the single digits here at night.

Running low on firewood for the shop, and its supposed to be up to 50 or 55 degrees sunday, so I'll be doing the firewood thing then.

Sat, working in shop as usual

Bad news is I took the turbo out of my truck so I can't get to work.....

Good news is I will get an extra in my shop. I have been working on a saw till and cabinets for my new miter saw station. With this extra day i should make some good progress.

Going to the doc this afternoon to get chopped on -- have a toe problem that's going to get fixed--will probably spend the rest of the weekend sitting in front of the (stealth gloat) new HDTV that we bought a couple of nights ago--fortunately I have lots of good movies I can watch.

Have a good 'un, everyone.

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Blog Entries
    With the LOML gone for the weekend visiting my Mom, I will be "stuck" in the shop working on a dozen doors (flat panel inset) for the kitchen cabinets that I have been constructing for our sons home. Hope to have the panel fields sprayed and completed and mounted inside their frames and have the frames milled this weekend and ready for finishing. Other than that, I'll be stoking the woodstove constantly to keep the house warm and taking care of the cats.
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!