Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 220 Outlets

1. Thanks Dave!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave MacArthur View Post
    Ahh, the "10 ga. future expansion on a 20 A circuit" issue! ...!
    Have you ever wondered how many of the "run 10 'cause you might uprate later" advocates have actually followed through with changing a branch circuit from 20a to 30a. There have probably been some, but I tend to doubt that it's a very large percentage.

I know I've never seen a requirement for 30a support on any of the branch circuits in my shop. And if one did develop, I'd be seriously considering running a dedicated circuit. Of course I'm not counting the 120v 6.5 HP shop-vac. (6.5 HP, yeah, right!)
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

I just ran 30A 240V multi-outlet circuits, because my 5HP TS required a 30 A circuit. I wanted to standardize all my 240V plugs so I wouldn't need to have different plugs and outlets. If I had went with a dedicated outlet for the table saw, I would have been upset. My TS has moved from the original outlet to a different one. Now, I am a hobbiest woodworker and only one machine at a time is on.

Mike

The tap rule is typically a commercial requirement, not a residential one.

The tap rule was not mentioned. tap and tap rule are two very different things.

Erm... In all honesty, after reading all these "220 volt 12ga-20A vs. 10ga-20A circuit threads" --which honestly, I really DO enjoy!--I now actually find myself wishing I had run at least a couple 10ga circuits because I am looking hard at the new Grizzly ultimate 17" (4.8 or 5hp) bandsaw, and need 30A which I of course did not account for. Of course I can hop up into the attic and run another circuit or change the wire pretty quickly, but it does make me laugh. Almost EVERYONE's side in a discussion can be right at one time or another!
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

My thought

I think I would do them in parallel coming out of a small junction box. I do not think you will be able to get two of the proper size conductors into each point to series them like you would a 120VAC receptacle. We used to do it this way in the Chem Plants for a welder & a plasma pipe bevler to run off one location.

The inspector didn't complain about my running multiple 20 A 240 V outlets per circuit breaker at either the drawing or the final inspection. There is a restriction on the number of receptacles you can have per circuit for a given breaker capacity and wire size. I don't remember the ration, but if I recall correctly, it's greater than the breaker/wire capacity, but less than twice the breaker/wire capacity.

standardized plugs

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lutz View Post
    I just ran 30A 240V multi-outlet circuits, because my 5HP TS required a 30 A circuit. I wanted to standardize all my 240V plugs so I wouldn't need to have different plugs and outlets. If I had went with a dedicated outlet for the table saw, I would have been upset. My TS has moved from the original outlet to a different one. Now, I am a hobbiest woodworker and only one machine at a time is on.

Mike
    hey Mike exactly which plugs did you go with? I was about to do the same as you but haven't bought the plugs/receptacles yet. Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by Steven DeMars View Post
    I think I would do them in parallel coming out of a small junction box.
    This is my preference as it's much easier to change or add a location later for shop flexibility. Be sure to mark the outlets so you always know which ones are on a common circuit. It also provides for more space to work on the connections...unless you put in a deep, double box with a mud-ring at each outlet location, there is not a whole lot of room in the outlet box for things like pigtails to daisy-chain to another location...and that really holds true for the 30 amp circuits that use #10 wire.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lutz View Post
    I wanted to standardize all my 240V plugs so I wouldn't need to have different plugs and outlets.
    My preference here, too. All my 240v 20 amp and 30 amp outlets use twist-locks of the appropriate version for the circuit rating. The makes moving something to an alternate location, either temporarily or "permanently" very easy. I chose twist-locks, despite their higher cost, because I'm more comfortable with the positive engagement they provide.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I will not add anything to the specifics here other than that I find it best to buy supplies from a wholesale electrical supply house rather than at the Borgs. Tell them what you are doing and make a sketch of your situation,I have found their advice to be invaluable as they are familiar with local codes and the inspectors
    requirements. I have also found that prices are very competive as you are not paying for packaging for retail display,also the counterman will gather your order. I also feel I have avoided unnessesary trips because they make sure I have everything I need.

Dennis,

I used Pass and Seymour Nema L6-30P plugs and L6-30R receptacles. These are a standard plug style, so you may have other suppliers in your area. These are twist lock receptacles. The recptacles are mounted in the center of a 4" x 4" box. The plugs are large. They were also about $10 each.

Mike