Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mobile Planer Stand

Mobile Planer Stand

I'm looking to build some kind of cart or stand for my benchtop planer that I can roll away when not in use. I'd appreciate any pictures or suggestions anyone has.

Thanks,

Jack

I am in the process of building this one, with some modifications of course.

http://www.woodstore.net/swivtoolcab.html

Not shop-built, but I bought the Dewalt planer stand and liked it so much I bought another one for my bench-top drill press. It rolls really well and is just the right sized top surface.

Here's one I built not too long ago: http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=72796

You can easily modify the dimensions to suit your needs.

Paul
    Paul Fitzgerald
    Mid-South Woodworker

Blog Entries
    Mine is a flip-top. It's posted somewhere back in the archives here at SMC. I used to have the planer on one side and the CMS on the other. The CMS got a new home so now it is the planer on one side and my sander on the other. Great way to store two tools in the space of one. Oh, here it is, a long time ago.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Planer Stand with infeed and outfeed tables

Here's a computer pic of my planer stand. It incorporates infeed and outfeed tables that are very stable. However, it will only work for planers that have a moving head and a fixed feed table like my old Delta.

-Jeff

Jeff,
    Have you built this unit? I love the design and would like to see actual pics of the finished product.
    Grant
    GO Buckeyes!

Very nice design...that's a keeper!

######################

This site has absolutely awesome information...Thanks to you!!!

I've been using my Dewalt 735 on a WorkMate 225 bench... it actually worked very well, as I was able to use the vise action to grip the base so it couldn't slide around at all. Another option might be to bolt the planer to a chunk of 3/4 ply or MDF, and have a cleat screwed to the under side that could be gripped by the Workmate.

My current plan is to make a fairly substantial cart for it to ride around in and to store stuff in. I just got the extension infeed/outfeed tables for the planer, so with the planer measuring approx 24" deep, plus 9" on each side for the extra tables... I figured I'd make the top a little longer still just to 'protect' the tables from getting banged on things too much. Then again, I just remembered they do fold (I think, haven't installed them yet) so hopefully I won't have to make it so long.

Otherwise... I planned on making basically a box, w/ reinforcing 'ribs' under the bottom and under the top, and a couple drawers in between for storing various hand tools, etc. I have some 5" casters kicking around so those are the obvious candidates to stick on there.

I think I'm off to double check those tables... if they are foldable, that'll greatly reduce the size I'm looking at needing (otherwise I was looking at something like almost 4' long by 30" wide by 30" tall)

I guess thats another question for you guys... the 735 has that handle sticking out to the side... would you make the cart as wide as just the planer itself (~24") or as wide as the planer + the handle protrusion (30") to prevent it getting banged up or snagging on things as it would stick out otherwise?

TIA,

Monte

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Davis View Post
    Jeff,
    Have you built this unit? I love the design and would like to see actual pics of the finished product.
    I'll take some pics on Saturday. It's been in use for about 2 or 3 years.

It also has some storage below it. And, you can also plane small boards that don't need support without opening the infeed and outfeed tables. However, your floor has to be somewhat flat versus trying to use it on a crumbling asphalt driveway, and the extension tables that come with the planer must be removable since they are no longer needed.

-Jeff

This thread shows pictures of the one I made. Make sure you get the height dimension right so you can use it as an outfeed table.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=19921
    Tipp City, Ohio

Here they are...

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Davis View Post
    Jeff,
    Grant & Friends,
    Here are some actual pics of my planer cart as requested:
    - The first pic shows it in a stored position.
    - Second pic is ready for action (with some lathe parts stored underneath.
    - Third pic shows that you can plane boards (small ones) without the extension tables.
    - Fourth pic shows it neatly stored in the corner of my little shop.

cheers, Jeff

Jeff,
    Great design. How did you make the connection between the planer and the feed tables ? Do you have a hinge there?
    Thanks,
    Greg

More Detail

Here's a screen shot of the drawing. It is very similar to the actual build.

The infeed/outfeed tables are attached with a 3" hinge. The hinges are mounted to hinge support brackets so the height of the tables can be adjusted. The table legs also have simple leg height adjustment via carridge bolts. No special hardware...everything was bought at the local hardware store. The plastic laminate on the tables were scraps from countertop jobs...however, any smooth surface will do.

-Jeff