Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Home Bar Top

bar Top

Hi Per,
    Epoxy on the arm rails too or just varnish?
    brian

Thanks Chris,

Have all the digits accounted for, except,

that tail removed at birth.

Brian, we just varnish the rail.

Its a economic thing as playing with

epoxy on anything less then perfectly horizontal is

real tough.

Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

Bar top

Hi Everyone
    How goes it? Is Per out there? I compaired the kleer Kote to the Mas epoxy and the side by side results are in. The Kleer koat has a little better brillance and slightly less plastic look. The Mas epoxy look is super clear don't get me wrong and its easyer to work with. The big plus for the Mas epoxy is the knowlege at the mas website and the people there. The main advantage at least for me is the pour temp can be below 70F. I'm going to go with the Mas product.
    I tried the rockhard varnish on a small sample that has the epoxy on it. It seems hard for me to work without getting bubbles on it. I got the best results by wipping on a few layers. Then I wanted to see how smooth I could get it so I hit it with 150 grit and then 400 grit (thats the only ones I had). How can I get it to be shiny and clear again? I tried car compound and car wax and using a buffer on my drill. Again the only things I have at the moment.
    Thanks Brian

Hello Brian,

Glad things are beginning to come together.

What you might want to do is check this out

for how to deal with the varnish.

Remember it is critical to let both the epoxy and varnish gas out before

polishing. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...meless+festool

Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

Bar top

Hello There,
    Hope all is good. Hey Per I tried to follow your steps on my little sample with stuff I could get my hands on Sunday. Home Depot didn't have anything over 600 grit. So I stopped at the local Autoparts store.
    All was done by hand no tools. Wet sanded using 600 grit then 800 grit and last 1600 grit. Looked alot better. Then I used the old style car rubbing compound (before clear coat paint was used on cars). Then I used regular car polish. The final is really good. When I do the real top with a machine it should come out fine. Got to order more Rockhard varnish and the Mas epoxy today. Mas people say the handy repair kit (1 pint of resin 8oz of slow hardner) covers 67sq feet at (1/16-1/8). I was thinking of getting 1 quart of resin and 1 pint of hardner to make sure I am 1/4 inch thick. Cool on the thickness.
    I got one for you my wife wants me to attach somehow LEDs lights in the side to pass light sideways through the Epoxy. Ha Ha
    Brian

Bar Top

Hi Per,
    The Mas Epoxy people keep saying all I need is the handy repair kit to cover my 17sq ft top. They say it can cover 67sq ft at 1/16-1/8 (16 oz of resin and 8oz or hardner inch thick. I told them I wanted to make mine almost 1/4 inch thick. Maybe 1 quart of resin and a pint of hardner they thought. My calulations come to 2 gallons of resin and 1 gallon of hardner. Am I wrong, are they wrong?
    Thanks Brian

To bring this thread back up to the top.

Home Bar Top

Hi Guys,
    How is everyone? I spoke to Phoenix Epoxys whom is the laboratory for Mas epoxys and they agree with me about 3 gal of resin and hardner to cover 16sq ft taking in account the density and specific gravity of the epoxy product. He said he didn't know why the tech person at Mas claims it would cover 67sq ft at 3mils(1/16-1/8) thick.
    That epoxy is expensive.
    Thanks Brian

Bar top

Hi Everyone,
    Hope everyones good. Don't forget Happy Easter.
    I got a few days of from work so I poured the Epoxy on Friday.
    A few pics

looks pretty nice.

once you do it ( commit to it ) its a pretty neat process. and wonderful results ...

Bar Top

Hi Everyone,
    Hope all is good. It's the Bar is getting there. The Epoxy is done it came out better than my trial runs. When they say 70-80F they mean it. My trian runs were to hot. As per Per at the end of the month I'll Varnish it.
    Brian

Hey Brian,

Looks great!

Feel better now?

Per
    T.E. Lawrence

bar top

Hi Everyone,
    Hope you are all well?
    It's been a few weeks for the epoky to air out. It looks better than my trial runs. Time for the Behlens Varnish. the question is when I sand the top with 220 grit before the Varnish do I just scratch it up or do I sand it until it hazy (fully sanding)?
    Thanks Brian

Hi Brian,

Full sanding job.

Then a quick wipe with rockhard reducer.

Per
    T.E. Lawrence

Bar top

Hay Per how are you these days?
    Thanks for the reply. I had tried a small peace of hand rail with varnish a while back using 800 then 1000, 1500, 2000 and finaly 2500 grit sandpaper. Car compound then polish. It came out nice but more of a satin look, not that high gloss (piano finish). So I order the Menzerna stuff
    2L Paste Pre-Polish Compound #1
    16 fine Polishing Compound
    P091E Intensive Polish
    Since I'm in the dog house anyway because the I spend more time at the bar than with the wife. I guess I'll have to order the Rockhard reducer.
    Question does the reducer have any hardner or dryer in it or is it just mineral Oil?
    Thanks again Brian