Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toothpick Holder

Toothpick Holder

Here is a toothpick holder that I made with the plans from the magazine Wood. It is out of mahogany. It stands 3 7/8" tall and with the finial 5 3/4". The finial is stained with minwax ebony stain and finish with Antique Oil. The LOML loves it and I have orders for 9 more. So the lathe stand better get dry quick.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Very nicely done, Bernie. Nice contrast with the finial. I've been looking at them thinking I should try one too.
    - Arlan

We shape clay to birth a vessel,
    yet it is the hollow within that makes it useful. - Tao te Ching

That is really nice Bernie, I like the bigger finial... I purchased that issue of Wood because of the toothpick holder... been slicing and sealing wood and haven't got around to it yet... you gave me a nudge... I'll try to get one done this week.

What did you learn?

Bernie,

For those of us planning on following in your footsteps, what, if anything, did you learn from making your 1st of 10 (that's not well covered in the Wood article)? I watched the Wood 3-part video of making the toothpick holder and thought: Why doesn't he reverse chuck the toothpick holder rather than merely parting it off and sanding the bottom flat?

I like your finial more than the one in Wood. From the video, it looked like the smaller finial would be hard to grab for someone with large hands.

What do you charge for a toothpick holder?

I'm just curious as to how much you can get out of one of those?

Nice and creative. I like the form and wood combo. Congrats

I really like this! Very nice form and design.
    GCC LaserPro 30-Watt
    Mercury Laser Engraver/ Corel X3

SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Nice work Bernie! I do like your finial better than the one in the magazine! Congrats on getting the orders! Are you planning on using the same wood combination?
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Great choice on the mahogany, Bernie. That looks wonderful!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for the kind words. These are actually a lot of fun to turn. I think on the next one I will try doing the finial just a little shorter and out of either a contrasting wood or of the same wood and see what it looks like.

David I made the finial bigger because the LOML has arthritis in her hands so bigger is better. She said it could be 1/2" shorter and would be ok. What I did is when I parted it off I did the same thing as I do for lidded boxes reversing them to finish the bottom. I turned the wood in the chuck down for a tight fit. I reversed the toothpick holder and jammed it on then finished the bottom. Other than that I just read the magazine, went out and turned it. The lid and inside has to fit loosely. Not sloppy but loose.

Danny I am not sure what I am going to charge at this time. I get $28.50 for salt and peppermills and was going to add this to the set. I think I will try to get $42.50 for the set or $14.50 for it alone. We are in a farming community and it is pretty depressed here so can't charge what a lot of people do. I had salt and peppermills for $39.50 that sat in the craft store for months. I lowered my price to $28.50 and sold them all. My son and DIL in Richmond sell a few things for me and can get twice to three times what I can get here.
    Last edited by Bernie Weishapl; 01-22-2008 at 10:13 AM.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Dang Bernie!!!!! Very lovely piece and I need to make one of those. Looks fairly easy enough for an old timer like me to try.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Bernie,

You did a great job on that pick holder. Keep posting them as you make more.
    Be Blessed!

I gonna steal it, too. Should pay booth rent very well. If it's not too personal, what price range are you using? ( I don't like to undercut others pricing)

VERY nice job, Bernie.

Bruce
    "The great thing about Wood Turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed to have something beautiful. Nature does tha Hard work."

M.H. Woodturning, Etc.
    Peoria, Illinois 61554

Really nice job! I love the finial shape and the contrast. And, that is a neat addition to any kitchen. How about a bigger one for straws...

Blog Entries
    Very nice job Bernie, went looking for the magazine my local Books a Million does not have it yet. I also would like to make some of these. You gonna use the commercial grade of toothpicks or you gonna turn some.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf