Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Logitech vs. Bose Noise Cancelling headphones

Don, I don't hear any hiss out of the Bose or the Logitech's but my hearing isn't as good as it once was.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I checked out the Bose and a pair at Sharper Image today while killing time at the airport. I thought the cases for those were pretty huge to carry in a laptop bag. What do those of you who do regularly think--to they take up a lot of room or did they just seem like they would to me?

Quote Originally Posted by John Newell View Post
    This is really a purely informational question...not trying to state a point of view here.

Does this make any of you all nervous (for yourself, not for others). I ask because is was working at the jointer the other day (benchtop, hooked up to shopvac - and wearing earmuffs - with the VS on the jointer turned way down) and had this "a-ha" kind of moment when I realized I wasn't hearing the jointer and sort of mentally caught myself...thought "wow, it would be easy to do something stupid like put your hand into the jointer, which you're not aware is running". Or something like that - harder to write and explain than it was in real life. Anyway...my next thought was: "wow, if I'd been paying a little less attention because I was listening to music, I'd have been that much closer to an accident."

So, again, no bone to pick, no argument I'm advancing...just wondering if I'm the only one who worries that music might distract them?
    This is a good warning. I just purchased a pair of the Logictech's and really like the fit and sound reduction. I haven't worked with any music on yet while working with my power tools but I do remember when I started using 29dB earmuffs rather than regular ear plugs. I almost touched a router bit on coast down on two separate occasions (wish routers had electric brakes). You really do need to be alert when working around these tools especially when you change/improve your gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Don, I don't hear any hiss out of the Bose or the Logitech's but my hearing isn't as good as it once was.
    I don't know that I'd call it a hiss (though I know that's what I said above). When they are on and in a very quiet room, I hear a white noise "sssshhhh". My wife can't hear it, but both my 8 and 13 year old can. With any amount of noise, including speech, it gets hard to stay focused on the noise and it disappears.

Be well,

Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    I checked out the Bose and a pair at Sharper Image today while killing time at the airport. I thought the cases for those were pretty huge to carry in a laptop bag. What do those of you who do regularly think--to they take up a lot of room or did they just seem like they would to me?
    LOL...nice typo...or were you saying most of us don't regularly think???

Matt, my Ear Hugger's folded much flatter than the Logitech's do, but neither is excessively large. I carry a laptop bag and a backpack always (or my carry-on if it's a short trip). I have never been so overpacked that the case size for the Logitech's would bust the zippers. BTW, the Logitech case seems to be the same size as the Bose.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Abele View Post
    LOL...nice typo...or were you saying most of us don't regularly think???
    Guess I should have said "What do those who regularly carry them in a laptop bag think about the size?"

I've got a backpack, but by the time I put in the iPod and charger, the 25' ethernet cable (since I sometimes need to plug in at customer sites in less-than-ideal locations,) mouse, phone charger, laptop power supply, external hard drive and cable, portfolio, latest magazines, etc in there its getting pretty full, and pretty heavy.
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 01-22-2008 at 10:58 PM.

Matt, just pokin' fun - I knew what you meant.

I guess the real answer is really up to the size of the laptop bag you have. I have a 17" widescreen which is 16" long, so I have a pretty big bag for it. I also carry a lot of accessories with me, so plenty of room. The Ear Hugger's folded small enough to fit into the water bottle holder on the outside of the bag. The Logitech case is too big to fit into my case without taking something out. So I'll just pack them into my carry-on or backpack.

Be well,

Doc

Yep, I've got a large widescreen too. First time I've ever had a laptop with too big of a screen--I'd rather have a smaller screen in a lighter machine. Several of my co-workers who got the same machine agree and they are now giving people the choice of a different model. In coach on Northworst, if the person in front of me reclines their seat, I can't open the screen.

Were you looking at the large over-the-ear Bose or the smaller one?

The one that goes on the ear, not the one that goes around the ear. At least I think that's the case she showed me--now I not sure.

Gee, kind of suprised no one mentioned the Etymotic ear 'buds' available here, http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6.aspx. Rather than attempting to 'cancel the noise' like the Bose, the Etymotic's isolate the noise from the user.. I have a pair and have been pretty happy with them

Robert, some of the reviews on Amazon criticize them as having a "tinny" sound and others say that to get good sound quality you have to put them way into your ear--which is probably the reason for the tinny complaints. Any comments on that?

Ideally, I want a set of earbuds for compactness for travelling, that are comfortable and seal out or cancel out airplane drone. For the tractor I'm willing to wear ear muffs over them, but if I don't have to, even better. Oh, and for $19.99 please. (Really I'd like them to be under $100.)

Robert, some of the reviews on Amazon criticize them as having a "tinny" sound and others say that to get good sound quality you have to put them way into your ear--which is probably the reason for the tinny complaints. Any comments on that?

Ideally, I want a set of earbuds for compactness for travelling, that are comfortable and seal out or cancel out airplane drone. For the tractor I'm willing to wear ear muffs over them, but if I don't have to, even better. Oh, and for $19.99 please. (Really I'd like them to be under $100.)
    Matt - I bought a pair of Ultimate Ears with extended bass recently. I had a pair of Shure earbuds that went bad, and had to replace them. I never liked the low end frequencies with the Shures, however these Ultimate Ear earbuds are a totally different matter. IMHO, they sound great!! I'd buy them again in a heartbeat.

They were on sale for $120 when I bought them.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Super...140191&sr=8-10
    Last edited by Glen Blanchard; 01-23-2008 at 9:05 PM.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Matt,
    I would not call the Etymotic's tinny, I would call them accurate or tight, they definitely are not for the 'head banging' crowd. I would generally say that most Bose products I have listened to, ahem, accentuate the bass, so if you like the Bose sound the Etymotic's might not be for you.

I bought them when I worked in a noisy office space, to provide a 'portable dome of silence' and I must say they worked very effectively.. Think of them as foam ear protection, with music.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert LaPlaca View Post
    Gee, kind of suprised no one mentioned the Etymotic ear 'buds' available here, http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6.aspx. Rather than attempting to 'cancel the noise' like the Bose, the Etymotic's isolate the noise from the user.. I have a pair and have been pretty happy with them
    I actually had a chance to compare my Shure E2C's (similar to Etymotic's) to Bose QC3's on a jet trip overseas. My E2C's actually reduced the background noise better than the Bose.

For the shop though, I did jump on the Logitech deal for ease of application. The in-ear E2C's need to be placed deep in the ear and it takes quite a bit longer to put them on than slap a set of over-the-ear headphones on. Also, with the in-ear I find if you eat/drink or even walk you can hear your jaws (I think) noise magnified in you head - this is not as pronounced with the over the ear.

Mike