Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Delta 28-276 Band Saw Assembly Issues

New Delta 28-276 Band Saw Assembly Issues

Hey everyone!

After tons of research I finally settled on the Delta 28-276 Band Saw.

I went over to Lowes to buy one since they were on sale for $399. The box of the only one they had was damaged, and the lower door was a bit scratched from one of the table mounting bolts, but it otherwise appeared unscathed.

Due to the scratched lower door, they gave me 10% off -- out the door for less than four bills. I was pretty happy. I got it home and unpacked, and examined every part. Luckily, I found no additional damage. I figure a scratched door isn't anything to fuss about.

Here's the fun part...

The very first step in the instructions says to attach the motor mounting plate to the bottom of the stand top. When I completed this step I noticed the motor mounting plate was not parallel to the stand top. It appears as though the bracket that's welded to the stand top was attached poorly, thus causing the problem.

It looks to me like this is going to cause the pulleys not to align. Delta customer service is closed, but I was hoping they'd ship me a new table top and possibly a new lower door while they're at it.

Thoughts?

Paul
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by John Bailey; 12-02-2007 at 10:06 AM.
    Paul Fitzgerald
    Mid-South Woodworker

There should be enough adjustment in those long slots to move the motor parallel even though the plate isn't.
    Mike Marcade
    Senior Mechanical Engineer
    Server Development
    Dell Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Marcade View Post
    There should be enough adjustment in those long slots to move the motor parallel even though the plate isn't.
    Mike,

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. The slots in the mounting plate would allow me to move the motor laterally to align the pulleys, but wouldn't affect whether the two pulleys are coplanar.

Or did I completely misunderstand you?

Attached is a crude graphic that illustrates what I *think* is going to happen.

Paul
    Last edited by Paul Fitzgerald; 12-01-2007 at 9:11 PM. Reason: Added graphic and graphic description.
    Paul Fitzgerald
    Mid-South Woodworker

Maybe I misunderstood your first post. I see your point. You can always shim the right side of the motor if necessary. You are probably right to try to get a new part out of Delta.
    Last edited by Mike Marcade; 12-01-2007 at 9:45 PM.
    Mike Marcade
    Server Development
    Dell Inc.

That is a pretty poor job, like you don't know! Anyway, first I would try and get a new part. In the mean time it looks like you might be able to bend the ears, one at a time, maybe both at the same time with the mouter plate and make things a bit better. Then give it a spin and see how things look to ya. If not a to your liking I would get a linked belt...nice upgrade anytime. I think the linked belt wouldn't care if its not spot on. Bottom line for me would be a new part...good luck.

Out of shear curiosity, I decided to try and shim the motor into parallel... That turned out to be an exercise in futility.

I had to shim one side 1/4" to get the motor as close to parallel with the stand top as possible. This, of course, meant I had to replace the carriage bolts, as the included bolts were too short. Naturally, I couldn't find any metric bolts at HD or Lowes, so I used the closest thing I could find.

I then found that if I moved the motor laterally to line up the pulleys, the motor would hit the stand when attaching the belt. To fix this, I moved the pulley by unscrewing the set screw and pushing it along the shaft closer to the motor. Doing so allowed me to move the motor enough that it wouldn't hit the stand when swung into place for attaching the belt.

It's not perfect, but it's aligned a whole lot better than if it were not shimmed.

The next step was to install the belt guards. And wouldn't you know it, I can't install the lower belt guard because the motor shaft is in the way. If I were to force it into place, not only would the weight of the motor not be able to properly tension the belt, but the motor shaft would rub the heck out of the belt guard. It seems as though the belt is too short.

I'll be calling Delta tomorrow... hopefully they'll be able to sort this out. I feel like I got too good a deal on it to take it back.

Paul
    Paul Fitzgerald
    Mid-South Woodworker

I called Delta Customer Service this morning, and I'm very pleased with the outcome. All I had to say was "I had trouble assembling the saw due to a manufacturing problem with one of the parts." They took my information and asked for the part number in question. The part will ship from Virginia today.

Thanks for listening.

Paul
    Paul Fitzgerald
    Mid-South Woodworker

Congratulations Paul. Hopefully your new part doesn't look like the old one.
    Mike Marcade
    Server Development
    Dell Inc.

Here is my Delta experience....I went through 3 jointers with cracked motor housings, a bandsaw with a chunk missing from one wheel, a contractor saw with several missing parts, and now, a bad power switch on the saw. To their credit, they made good on everything, and after finally working everything out, I have a pretty well running shop, but I think next purchase will be grizzly (jointer planer upgrades)....

JC

My Delta 8-276 Experience - Fixed !

My Delta arrived new and out of the box with the tracking mechanism cracked like this picture attached. To Delta's credit it was fixed within 24 hours, including labour and an on site service call, no questions asked. The repair technician believes it was a luck of the draw bad casting back in the foundry - probably nothing to do with the Delta assembly plant at all.

Warning: Begin Long Rant

When I called Delta on Monday, the rep didn't give me an order number, reference number, or anything else. When I realized that on Tuesday, I called back and they were able to give me a reference number. She was extremely rude and seemed angry that I would even call back to bother them about something like that. Imagine that... a customer calling back to get something that should have been given to him in the first place.

While I was on the phone with them, I asked about when it would ship and when I could expect to receive the part. She continued being rude and told me it would ship in 48-72 hours and I should receive it in 7-10 business days. So I asked if she could expedite the order and I'd pay for the difference in shipping. No surprise here, but she continued to be rude and barked at me about how it was already in the system and it would be 7-10 business days.

Fair enough. I should have inquired about that when I placed the order. But she could have explained it without being such a witch. I had enough so I let it go for the day. It kind of bothered me that they couldn't tell me anything other than "48-72 hours" and "7-10 business days". That seemed odd.

Wednesday... I call back to get a status. I was hoping to get someone who could say something other than 48-72 and 7-10 and do so in a more pleasant manner. No such luck. Same old speech. Same bad attitude. I didn't feel like dealing with it.

Thursday (today) rolls around and I call back since the last 3 reps I spoke with were less than helpful. And wouldn't you know it, I got another rude person who told me "nothing has changed since you called the last time" and "it will ship in 48-72 hours and you should receive it in 7-10 business days."

I had enough of the same old speech and the rudeness so I told her it had been over 72 hours since I placed the order and I wanted a status and tracking number if possible. I'm a customer dag nab it. You don't treat customers like that... even if they do call every single day. If they'd have done their job right to begin with, I wouldn't have needed to call back every day.

After being on hold for a while, she tells me the part is unavailable. I asked what that meant and why it went from "11 in stock" on Monday to "Part Unavailable" today and why nobody bothered to call me and let me know.

All I got was rude, blah, call you local service center, rude, blah, you'll have to have the entire saw replaced, rude, blah, whatever. Seriously. Why the heck couldn't she have told me this Monday? I guess it was just too darn hard for them to, well... you know, actually do their dang job?

I really regret my purchase now. One of the reasons I chose Delta was because of their excellent customer service and willingness to go the extra mile to make things right when there is a problem with their product.

I've seen absolutely no indication that they have any interest in making me a happy customer. I can understand if a part is out of stock or back-ordered, but giving me the runaround while being extremely rude is simply unacceptable. And come to think of it, nobody ever apologized.

I knew the 28-276 was made in China. I knew it could have some problems. But I felt the positives (cast iron frame, big cast iron table, quick tension release, Delta name, Delta customer service.) outweighed the negatives. I was wrong. I mean... what can you expect for a $400 band saw right?

So I called the local service center and spoke to a very nice fella who apologized profusely for my experience with the corporate call center. He took my information and said he'd get to the bottom of it and give me a call back shortly.

He just called me back and explained that Delta is moving their warehouse from VA to IL and that these parts were "in transit." He also apologized again for the corporate reps and told me that Delta was doing some outsourcing, which could explain the decline.

He told me they expect the "in transit" parts to reach the new warehouse by the end of this week and my order should go out at the beginning of next week. He told me that if I do not receive the replacement part by early the following week (around the 17th) to give him a call back.

THAT's the right way to handle the situation. THAT's who Delta should want working for them, not those witches over in whatever call center I ended up getting routed to.

END RANT

Even though the nice fella at the local service center has done his best to make things better, I still have a very bitter taste in my mouth and a decent sized case of buyer's remorse.

I've been considering returning it to Lowes. But then I'd be back in the same boat I was in before.

I live in Memphis, TN. We don't have a Rockler or a Woodcraft anywhere near here, so I can't really go do any sort of hands on. All we really have is Lowes, Home Depot, and Sears and they don't carry much. So unless one of them carry it, I'd have to pay a bunch for shipping.

Furthermore, my fiance (AKA LOML, AKA SWMBO) doesn't really want me spending more than about $400 on a band saw, considering I just spent $400 on a thickness planer. So I kind of feel lucky to be getting that. I could probably do $500, but I'd pay for it (not out of my wallet).

I'd go with Grizzly, but I'm a little apprehensive about buying something like this sight unseen. I guess it would be a bit easier to swallow if freight wasn't more than twice what tax would be if I bought it locally.

Thanks... I just had to vent.

Paul
    Last edited by Paul Fitzgerald; 12-06-2007 at 5:27 PM.
    Paul Fitzgerald
    Mid-South Woodworker

Paul,

Sorry to hear about your Delta experience. Personally I just bought a Grizzly 8" jointer and I really don't think I will ever be going to Delta again. So far, Grizzly is really top notch.
    Mike Marcade
    Server Development
    Dell Inc.

Paul, I have the same saw and I am very pleased with the performance. I had to get a replacement table but I did not get any of the poor customer service your experienced. Maybe an exchange at Lowe's?
    However, once you get it tuned up it I think you will like the saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Williams View Post
    Paul, I have the same saw and I am very pleased with the performance. I had to get a replacement table but I did not get any of the poor customer service your experienced.
    Well that's good to hear.

Maybe an exchange at Lowe's?
    The nice fellow at the local repair center suggested that, and it's definitely an option I'm considering.

However, once you get it tuned up it I think you will like the saw.
    I received my link belt today, but I'm a little puzzled about how to make it the correct length considering the motor swings on the mount. It's installed per the instructions, but it seems REALLY tight.

I also ordered a set of Cool Blocks, a blade rounding stone, some Renaissance Wax, and a new blade. But I haven't received that stuff yet.

Does your saw shake like crazy when powering up and down? Mine's got a bad case of the shakes, but I think it's due to the misaligned pulleys. Luckily, it settles down quite a bit once it gets up to speed.

Thanks,

Paul
    Paul Fitzgerald
    Mid-South Woodworker

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Fitzgerald View Post
    d

Does your saw shake like crazy when powering up and down? Mine's got a bad case of the shakes, but I think it's due to the misaligned pulleys. Luckily, it settles down quite a bit once it gets up to speed.

Thanks,

Paul
    It did. Almost all of the shake went away once the pulleys were in line and I installed the link belt. My wheels were pretty well balanced and were co-planer enough out of the box. I installed Cool Blocks and a Cobra spring. The lower guide adjusters had way too much slop but you can loosen the set-screw on the retention collar and take the play out. I use Timberwolf or Viking blades and tension per the instructions (flutter method?) but it seems that the tension gauge on the saw is just about right anyway. I bent the tension arm when I over tensioned a 1/2 inch blade. Oops! Anyway, I use the 1/2 inch blade for resawing and I have been able to cut .040 veneers, and resaw 8 inch wide wenge after I installed the riser kit. I will admit the going is on the slow side, but I do this for a hobby so speed is not an issue.