Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How About an Amazon Store Here at SMC

1. How About an Amazon Store Here at SMC

I was thinking. Consider some of the following.
    1. Amazon Stores are something anyone can do, especially SMC.
    2. A topic is created here at SMC called Amazon Store.
    3. Individual products are added to the store, woodworking products and related merchandise of course.
    4. Anyone who wants to buy a tool from Amazon simply stops in the SMC store, and clicks on the item before they buy. They are buying the same exact item, for the same price, features, benefits, in other words, the only difference between buying it by going to Amazon.com and using the Amazon store here at SMC, and clicking on the product link is that SMC will get a commission on every sale. Amazon pays generally speaking 4%, and 6% after a certain amount of sales are made. For example someone posted the PM66 bargain giveaway on Amazon for $1999, and two people bought it. Well that would have generated 6% x 2 grand x2 = $240. Wow what a great way to support the creek. Do you realize how many woodworking tools are being bought by the members of this site in dollars? Millions. It is understood that if you can buy it cheaper someplace else, then by all means. But with Amazon giving you free shipping on lighter items, and no tax for out of state purchases. Also Amazon has been known to match prices, so if you can get it cheaper elsewhere, they will make a concession. I have done that a few times.
    5. No code writing is required. All items in shopping cart are checked out exclusively on the Amazon site, secure servers etc. So all purchases are made directly from Amazon, just like you do now.
    6. I am mentioning this because there is a flood gate open, called creekers buying tools, and the site could stand to benefit from having the option open, and it wouldn't cost the members any more than what they already do to help out the site. Plus the Amazon store for SMC is free, no monthly anything. If only one sale was generated it would be worth it, let alone hundreds or thousands.
    7. Sometimes the best ideas are the best ideas, and sometimes they only appear that way. When you put them into application, they don't always work as well as you might like them to. So I am putting this in the suggestion box. I think that an open discussion can only enhance participation if it does come to pass.
    8. So how does it work? SMC joins Amazon as an associate. They go in and build a store. They can build as many stores as they want. One for each type of product if they want to. The items are chosen by the admin, placed in their store, and when anyone clicks on them, and follows up with a purchase, the store holder, SMC in this case would get a commish. You can learn more from Amazon by going to Amazon.com and search for Amazon store information.
    9. There isn't any work for SMC to do other than picking out the items at Amazon using their ID number, and placing the in the SMC Amazon store. No site to build. Amazon has a no brainer build page for creating and editing the store. Every item built into the link has an SMC affiliate name in it, so they know where the referral comes from. So it is automatic. No having to say SMC sent me. It's easy.
    10. Even visiting guests can make purchases through it. It all helps. I think SMC is already the best forum of it's type in the world, can we keep making it better. According to Steve Jobs, from Apple no matter how great it is, "There must be a better way" Being as well funded as well featured goes a long way to being number one.
    11. Hope this helps. When stuff is cool, I get excited.

For more information, ( I am going to break this up so it is not a link) go to http:// astore.amazon.com
    We are in the middle of football season, or should I say the height of it, I keep hearing in my head, things like
    "Go Creekers" or I attended "SMC" sounds like a university doesn't it? Well it is actually, by the time you have been a member for 4 years, you deserve a degree in woodworking.
    Last edited by Bob Feeser; 01-21-2008 at 3:19 PM.
    "Fine is the artist who loves his tools as well as his work."

Interesting idea.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

I suspect an Amazon Associate store will not qualify for free shipping.
    Mike Marcade
    Senior Mechanical Engineer
    Server Development
    Dell Inc.

The idea seems to have merit.

As for free shipping, that isn't a deal maker/breaker for me. If I know my purchase will assist SMC, a few occasional dollars for shipping costs would not sway me from purchasing through an SMC store.

+1 for thinking outside the box Bob.
    Last edited by Greg Peterson; 01-21-2008 at 3:40 PM.

5. Free Shipping is Included with Amazon Store Purchases on Free Ship Items.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Marcade View Post
    I suspect an Amazon Associate store will not qualify for free shipping.
    Free Shipping still applies. Amazon stores are really Amazon themselves. If someone wants to be an affiliate, and send customers to Amazon, they don't treat them any differently. They have the Amazon store feature, so you know that you are buying your stuff from SMC"s Amazon store, all the while the Amazon server is maintaining the shopping cart. All checkout, and final purchases are done through the Amazon site, even though the items were put into the cart, and shopped for at the store here at SMC that is easy to build with Amazon online tools. If you can place a purchase online at Amazon, that is just how easy it is to build a store. It is the same purchase, same price, same features, same free shipping etc. To the best of my knowledge, there are no differences whatsover. I have an Amazon store I put together for a computer related site, no wookworking tools on it. It has about 12 or 15 items on it, and a friend of mine was asking me about a wireless set up for his home, so he could share a broadband connection. He wanted me to drive around all day looking for the router, and the adapter. I sent him an email, gave him the link to my store, told him to click on the 2 products that he needed, check out, which takes him to the Amazon site, and they shipped it to him, free shipping, no sales tax, and he got it in a few days. I know from first hand experience, that it does not work any differently. 4% or 6% commissions are gladly paid out by Amazon. That does not put a dent in Amazons profit structure. There markups are a lot greater than that.
    Last edited by Bob Feeser; 01-21-2008 at 4:04 PM.
    "Fine is the artist who loves his tools as well as his work."

Sounds like a good idea. Any chance you have an example site that does this already?

I'll do it

I'm a huge amazon fan. I haven't written many reviews, but I am on there all the time shopping for woodworking items and everything else. I am also a web site developer in my day job. I would be willing to set the store up and maintain it, pro bono.

Assuming the powers that be think it's a good idea.

Matt

I agree, Bob gets a gold star for the day.
    I can't see any reason why not really...... especially having an offer from someone to set it up and maintain it for Keith, Aaron or Jackies salary.
    I'm not an Amazon shopper really, but I'd definately give buying from Amazon much more consideration if it was through these here waters.

Greg

A+ Idea

One of the major "podcast" sites (not sure if I can mention). Has Amazon stores setup - it would be a great revenue generator based on some of the purchases I see via recommendations here!

Another thing that could be done is if say you purchase over a certain amount out of the Amazon store you become a contributor. That Might be a little incentive for everyone to use it.

Good Luck

Alan

I really like the idea of infusing The Creek with the cash that would be generated. Thanks, Bob, for the idea. I'm going to let Jackie, Keith, and Arron vote for me. They've made good decisions so far.

But I like the fact Bob broght this up. Good for you!!!
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

I think its a great idea. Brilliant actually. Im in.

I think Rockler does the same thing.

A good example is The Wood Whisperer site. I have bought things from Amazon through that site and it really is the same thing as buying from Amazon. Even my Amazon Prime membership works (free 2 day shipping).

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Feeser View Post
    ... and no tax for out of state purchases. ...
    Perhaps that depends on the particular state, but Kansas sales tax is definitely charged on items I purchase through Amazon.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA