Thread: Cost to Refinish Many Tables?

Cost to Refinish Many Tables?

I had a gentleman come to me last night who has about 20 tables that he would like to refinish. Some are card table size, and some are large round tables that seat 8 to 10 people. I will need to strip, sand, stain, and apply the finish. I have never contracted out any work before and do not know what to charge. I was thinking an hourly rate may be the best route. What do you all think, and what is a fair price to charge. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks Matt

Whatever approach you take make sure you also allow for any cost associated with disposal of the strippers, finishes, waste, etc., especially if any of it is considered hazardous.

Aside from that, do you have to handle/carry/deliver any of the furniture? If so, cover for that in addition.

Yes I will , my choice, take them to my shop instead of doing the work on-site. The client also only wants the tops done, and would like to legs left alone and try to match stain on the refinished top.

That might help simplify things a bit as far as estimating. As far as actual finishing you could come up with a per square foot price. You would have at least the cost & time of the following items to consider:

Transporting the tables (include time, gas, cost for extra worker to help, etc.) to and from your shop

Finishing materials

Labor (I would do an hourly rate rather than flat fee to protect yourself if there are problems)

You could get an idea of the per square foot cost by doing a square foot scrap piece to the customer's spec to get an idea of time & materials. Use that as a guide for the total square footage of table surface area and add at least 20%.

Overhead costs also to take into consideration will be items like respirator cartridges if you need them, gloves, waste disposal costs, etc.

Matt - any chance you can agree on a price to do one table to start with?

That would give you a feeling for how long each will take, with some improvement in technique and efficiency?

It would also establish the finishing schedule, and you would have a sample that the client could approve. Better than getting to the end and finding out he doesn't like the color, gloss, etc.

Based on that, you could set a price for the remaining lot that protects you and lets the client understand what he will be receiving.

Mike has a very good point

Yes the owner is in really no hurry I was going to finish one, and then let him look at it. Then I will take one more and do it, ... until the job is complete. It will be easy to figure out what materials will cost if I do a sample, I am not sure of what my time should cost or what others charge and what is a fair price. Thanks for the input so far!!!!

Any one have any ideas for an hourly labor rate???? Thanks, Matt.

Matt,
    I would check with the local name-brand automotive dealer to find out his repair shops hourly rate, then add a couple bucks due to the hazardous material exposure.
    This accounts for geographic differences in the economy.
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Hello,
    Check the Yellow Pages for a commercial "dipper", then give them a call to see how much it would run to have the tops dipped.

You run the risk of running into some exotic finish if these tables were made for commercial use - like in a restaurant/bar.

Some of the two part and/or moisture cured products simply can't be removed with strippers you can buy over the counter. I don't believe they sell any of the MC strippers anymore (methelyene chloride) at a retail level.
    Commercial dippers can usually get much stronger removers.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Until you have done a couple it will be difficult to figure how many hours it will take.

If the client will agree to an hourly rate then great. I wouldn't as a client but as a worker it is great.

Hiring out the stripping and doing the finishing is probably a good way to go on a job this size. Even if you have to drive a ways to get it done, stripping a large table, especially if it has any detail is a big job.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"