Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hook & loop questions

Blog Entries

Hook & loop questions

I have a Makita ROS that uses hook & loop to attach the paper to the sander. Most sanding disks stick to it like contact cement. But ever now and then a disk won't stick to it at all. I was thinking that it must be the cheap disks I've been buying, so I ordered some Klingspor disks. So far these disks stay on the sander for a while and then all of sudden the disk just flies off across the room. Is there something wrong with my sander or is this the way they let you know it's time to change the disk? There "piles" like you would see on old worn out flannel pajamas on the disks that won't stick.
    Also, I seem to need to change grits before the disk wears out and when I reuse these disks, they seem to not stick as well as before and some won't stick at all when I try to reuse them. I thought disk reuse was one of the big advantages to hook & loop.
    Comments please.

Larry
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Larry,
    It might be too much presure on the sander. The weight of the ROS and the abrasive should do all the work.
    Anything else is just burning up paper and the brushes of you ROS.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Larry,

You may need to replace the hook and loop pad on your sander. I have the PC333 ROS and have had to replace the pad before. I was having the same problem as you are describing and the replacement pad cured the problem. The "hook" had lost its bite.

Mike

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Scoggins
    Larry,

You may need to replace the hook and loop pad on your sander. I have the PC333 ROS and have had to replace the pad before. I was having the same problem as you are describing and the replacement pad cured the problem. The "hook" had lost its bite.

Mike
    Mike,
    I would think this were true if it wouldn't hold the disk at all. But a new disk holds like super glue. It is extremely difficult to get the disk off the sander.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Howell
    Larry,
    It might be too much presure on the sander. The weight of the ROS and the abrasive should do all the work.
    Anything else is just burning up paper and the brushes of you ROS.
    You might be right. I apply pressure sometimes.

Larry
    Larry J Browning

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning
    Mike,
    I would think this were true if it wouldn't hold the disk at all. But a new disk holds like super glue. It is extremely difficult to get the disk off the sander.
    Larry,

I see. I missed the point about the new disk holding firm in your original post. Tyler may have hit the nail on the head regarding too much pressure being applied.

Mike

I have had better luck with Mirka than Klingspoor. Once the disk on the sander is worn it will throw every disc. If you ever sand without paper in it ...that will ruin it....Like the phone rings and you forget to install a disc...wow!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Stick With It!!

Larry,
    You need to replace the disc on your sander. I had the same problem with my DeWalt ROS. I got a new disc and now I have the opposite problem. I can't get the darn paper OFF the disc. If it weren't for BAD luck - I'd have NO luck at all!!

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

Larry
    I'm going to be number 6 reply post to tell you that your hook n loop pad has worn out becuase you are pushing on your sander, rather than just letting the weight of the sander and the grit of the paper do the job.
    How's that - one long breath.
    Daniel
    "Howdy" from Southwestern PA

Blog Entries
    Let me get this straight. Even though a brand new disk sticks to the pad to the point that I think I am tearing the pad in half when I try to remove the disk, I still need a new pad because it eventually lets go after some extended use. Right???
    This seems very strange to me. Why does it lose it's ability to hold the old disk but holds an new one fine?

Larry
    Larry J Browning

Hook and Loop?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning
    Let me get this straight. Even though a brand new disk sticks to the pad to the point that I think I am tearing the pad in half when I try to remove the disk, I still need a new pad because it eventually lets go after some extended use. Right???
    This seems very strange to me. Why does it lose it's ability to hold the old disk but holds an new one fine?

Larry
    Larry,
    I can't explain why you are having your specific problem. It may be that vibration is letting dust get between your sanding pad and the sanding disc. The most probable reason is that the pad on your sander is WORN OUT!

Larry, just TRY a new one. It might work. On the other hand, it may just be a gremlin which you have to deal with here in the Year Of Our Lord 01111010100! DANG! Did I get THAT wrong also??

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

Blog Entries
    Ok! OK!
    I will TRY a new pad. But where do I get it. Do you think Home Depot or Lowes carry such a thing? Or do I need to order it from Makita?
    Man, you'd think these guys could make something that would last more than a year or 2 wouldn't you?

Hey Dale, you are the first person to comment on my signiture. And even more, you got it

larry
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 03-02-2004 at 10:58 PM.
    Larry J Browning

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    [QUOTE=Larry Browning]Ok! OK!
    I will TRY a new pad. But where do I get it. Do you think Home Depot or Lowes carry such a thing? Or do I need to order it from Makita?
    Man, you'd think these guys could make something that would last more than a year or 2 wouldn't you?

Hey Dale, you are the first person to comment on my signiture. And even more, you got it

Makita should have a service center in your area. Try them. I still say lighten-up a bit.
    TJH
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

I have the Makita with the front knob & back handle which I purchased at ACE & that is where I got the new hook pad.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Larry
    Sorry for the long delay in answering but I read the forum stuff and log out and go to lunch and don't get back until tomorrow.
    So to answer:
    The new sandpaper grips the curled over and smashed down gripping barbs on the velcro for a short time until you start pressing down on the ROS again. Then the sandpaper just starts to ooooooch around instead of "gripping fast". Then the sandpaper lets loose as you release your grip slightly because you are tired. Then you can't get the sandpaper to stick again because you've allowed the fuzz on the back of the sandpaper to smooth out due to ooooching and you've pressed the barbs on the ROS pad "down more".

Now, check out GOOGLE and do a search on the part number of the pad.
    On the PC pads the model number is on the underside of the pad.
    I came up with some pretty cheap replacement pads for my PC ROS by doing this.
    Daniel
    "Howdy" from Southwestern PA