Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Handyman club scam or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Will View Post
    I thought the Handyman Club was really weenie.
    Technical term???
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

when I receive questionable mail, I google for "scam" and the name of the product...in this case "scam Handyman Club of America". There is a wealth of information.
    John Lucas
    woodshopdemos

Rob Will Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Technical term???
    Well, I thought there would be some sort of official technical sounding definition out there so I referenced the Urban Dictionary online....only to discover that most of the 14 assorted "definitions" for "weenie" cannot be discussed here.

In Kentucky, we think weenie actually IS a technical description....it usually refers to fake or otherwise undesirable accessories. Commonly found in automobiles and trucks with loud pipes and at least one color-mismatched body panel. Individual specimens have been observed with giant fiberglass hood scoops and poorly tuned V6 engines..... hence the phrase "that hood scoop is so weenie".

Much like the Handyman Club, a big ole hood scoop puts on the pretense of something substantial inside. Once you drive it, you discover it is actually a weenie.

Rob

Well, I have to disagree with all of you. I've found that I thoroughly enjoy every mailing that I get from them, roughly once or twice a year. I Don't know what I'd do without the free mailing labels that accompany each amazing offer that they send me.

Oh, and I always look forward to seeing if I get a new color of screw and bolt sizer. I haven't been lucky enough to get that elusive red one yet but, I keep hoping.

Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

To get the red one

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rios View Post
    Well, I have to disagree with all of you. I've found that I thoroughly enjoy every mailing that I get from them, roughly once or twice a year. I Don't know what I'd do without the free mailing labels that accompany each amazing offer that they send me.

Oh, and I always look forward to seeing if I get a new color of screw and bolt sizer. I haven't been lucky enough to get that elusive red one yet but, I keep hoping.
    Well if You'd spring for the Super Lifetime Elite membership.....

I have to admit I joined for a year and have the same feeling towards it that everybody else has. I always find it funny that the product testing never shows anything negative about them.

I am a life time member to Cooking Club of America and those magazines actually have good information in them. Product testing isn't any better though.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Well if You'd spring for the Super Lifetime Elite membership.....
    That's me! I am an official Life Member of the HandyMan Club of America since 1996. Got a 'free' leather jacket out of the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Franklin View Post
    I always find it funny that the product testing never shows anything negative about them.
    Just to clarify, the products shown in the magazine are "Member tested and approved.", so you will not see negative comments. Products that don't get a positive response don't get listed in that section of the magazine.

Also, since I have been a life member for 12 years, I have received several items through the product testing program. Most were pretty worthless, and/or low end products. I did however get an Accuset A2N125 brad nailer/stapler kit to test several years ago. That is a very nice tool that I still have and use quite frequently.

As for the magazine, although it has gotten a little better recently, I can't argue with any of the previous comments about it.

For the most part, it seems like the company running this 'club', and all of the others it runs, is just trying to build a massive mailing list that they use to hawk some overpriced, low quality products.

By the way, I just got another product to test yesterday. The Inhibitor VCI Pro Chips. They are supposed to prevent rust in tool boxes, tackle boxes, etc. They sent me a 5 pack to test. The product sells for $5.99 for a 20 pack. Woo Hoo!

Blog Entries
    I got one in the mail too. I use it for kindling.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Mag is junk - and the "freebies" were pretty much junk. They bug you forever. In 2 years I never got offered a tool to test. But I did get some stuff I had to send back (overpriced, cheap tools). HOWEVER, I have a co-worker that bought into their woodworking book series (reminded me of the Time-Life books) and he raved about the books. He eventually discovered that he could get the books off ebay and avoid the club altogether.

I think a lot of people are not really aware of how the tool test program works. You do have to sign up for the program and fill out a form. Years ago, you had to ask them to send the paperwork to you, but now you can fill out the form on the web site.

And , again, not everything in the testing program is junk. In addition to the Accuset nailer, I also recently received a Wrangler Riggs brand utility vest to test and keep. Very high quality item from Wrangler. They sell for about $45.00.